My budget build "performance motor"

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
I couldn't help myself being a budget build is such a personal opinion. But no this is not a 1-2k Budget build unicorn. But it also won't cost 4-6k like a 400hp crate engine goes for a lot of the time.

So to give a bit of background my motor(original 302 rebuilt in the 80's) has had some issues for years. Aproximately 2004 we attempted to put an aluminum Edelbrock Intake on and it wouldn't seal properly. The back driver side water port kept leaking coolant into the engine.

So I swapped back to the Cast Iron 4 Barrel(off a 68) intake that had been on the car for 20 years. That also would not seal back to the motor anymore.

Hazarding a guess a previous owner had over heated the motor and done some damage and my cracking the seal on the motor, well that was all she wrote. I can say that prior to that the car did not over heat and ran reasonable enough but the cooling system wasn't quite right either.

Fast forward almost ten years multiple deployments, 5 moves later and less than a few hundered miles on the car and I have been working to get the car back into DD status.

The last 2 major jobs I have to finish are the nasty clunk in the rear end and the engine. So starting the engine thread here.

I have been back forth for a while on what I wanted. But honestly settled on a 302 Roller with Aluminum Heads. I have considered the 351C route but the 302 really is the easiest budget build that will also fill a few other things.

Few reasons that helped my decision:

Improved Weight Bias Front Back

Weight Loss

Over abundance of parts(used and new)

Originalish motor

As of last night I settled on a 331 stroker motor. Why? Simply because I found a Scat Rotating Kit brand new in the box for $800 here locally. I am supposed to go pick it up Saturday morning.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sca-1-94055/overview/make/ford

What am I looking for 350-400HP.

The parts I am considering so far:

BLOCK

http://www.fordstrokers.com/machined-bare-blocks/fordstrokers-liberator-302-roller-machined-blocks.html

Possibly a Performer RPM Kit top end kit or CGM Motorsports(Localish) top end kit or a set used aluminum heads with custom cam grind.

I'll post up as I start to gather parts. Suggestions are welcome, but this isn't going to be one those wandering builds that changes direction often..........

Running Cost of the Build so far:

Scat 331 Rotating Kit New in Boxes $740 (Needs to be balanced)

Edelbrock Performer Heads W/ Ford Racing 1.6 Roller Rockers Used Rebuilt $685

Summit Racing 347 Block New in Crate $480

Corporate Blue POR15 Engine Paint Kit $50

Ford Racing Tall Polished Valve Covers Used $40

Romac 28oz Balancer/Damper Used $120

Edelbrock Head Bolt Bushing Kit $40

ARP Top End Stainless Bolt Kit New $235

Spider and Dog Bones Used $40

Last edited by a moderator:
MY car is propelled by a 97 exploder 5.0 with GT40 heads with a tfs stage 1 cam and it runs pretty good. my next motor will be a wicked 5.8 liter based stroker

Right now I am sticking with the Top Loader 4 Speed and looking at stepping the gears back to a 3.5 or 3.73 from the current 3.91. Considered a T5 or a Tremec in the future but dealing with one issue at a time. Far as Cam choice goes I am either considering a Custom Grind or Buying a Top End kit with a matched Cam. I will post up once I get the parts though. Multiple people I personally know are steering me towards TFS 170's with 58CC or 61cc Chambers if I can find set used. Even looking at the Flootek's aren't to bad an option.

As a DD the car sucks right now because even the current combination(Stock 302/4bbl, 4 Speed, 3.91 Gears) makes for way to much shifting. Stepping up the HP alot I figure will aggravate the problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have steep gears like you do but mine are just 3:00. My 302 is stock with a 65 289 A code 4bbl intake. I have a Holley 600 CFM and that's about as far as it goes. I'm burning a ton of fuel, something in the 6mph range. Strong rich burning exhaust too, my plugs aren't black though. I think it's possible to be too much carb for not enough engine. It runs great though, plenty power for stock 80's 302, just the exhaust has a odor that I'm just writing off as old car smell to Ease my mind haha!

Anyway I'm looking forward to your progress, and the decision you make. My whole car is on a budget and my engine will be too. If it takes 2 years to built engine on the stand that's fine because my engine in the car seems ok I just don't want to have my car for any length of time with out a engine. I'm considering a 5.8 Windsor I can nab out a f150 cheap. Or a roller 5.0, either way its going to be a while. I like the allure of the Cleveland but I have absolutely zero experience, he'll outside of pictures and shows I've never touched one. In my neck of the woods no one knows what they are, so finding parts or special needs seems like mail order and I'm not to keen on that.

Maybe I'll get a cobra motor!!!

Ya funny thing about Virginia. I have searched Craigslist for a few years here. All I found were sorry excuses for 351C. WTF is wrong with people. I finally gave up because to many people ripped the engines apart and left them to rust. I refuse to start with a rusted chunk of block. Paying for machine work is not cheap especially to find out the block you got is unusable. One of the reasons I decided a 5.0 Roller motor was the way to go.

That or the assholes who think they are holding on to gold and want 1k for a shortblock because its a "rare" 351c.

I can get good power out of a 302 cheaper with less weight, more common parts and alot less trouble. Far as a cobra motor I wouldn't bother unless it was Terminator swap which would be awesome.

Yeah exactly what I mean mdan. There's plenty of 5.0 stuff and its not badly priced. Other than like you said rusted husks of engine block or its "351c 4.5k"! Yeah sure budy.

Haha the cobra motor was really a joke because here in Virginia everyone with a mustang or f150 has a "cobra motor".

Roller 5.0s and %.8 blocks are pretty much the way to go. they are super robust, relatively easy to find, and they don't have the age and scarcity of parts that cleavlands do. my sister and my dad both have cleavlands in their fastbacks but they are pretty limited as far as cheap go fast parts.

Hello mdan575

I believe that the exorbitant cost wanted for the 351C is the lack of supply. Back some 25 years ago, they were more abundant plus there seemed to be more parts. I also noticed that the cost to machine and rebuild one is a heck of a lot more expensive these days. If you think about it, how long ago did they stop installing 302's in the mustang? The 302 4v was last installed in 1985 1/2. This was some 28 years ago. Dang Gummit! Time is moving too fast!

Yep- I agree with Stangrpunk72.

mustang7173

I am a huge fan of the 351C, but you guys are totally correct. It had a very short run and it was done.

A stroked 302/331 is a no brainer for me when considering the proliferation of cheap rebuildable used parts. Counting my pennies I can build a decent 350-400hp engine for a few grand compared to a crate motor.

Payed $740 for my new in the box Scat 331 Stroker Rotating Kit. Next is the block and heads. I have a lead on some TFS 170's for $650 with Ford SVO Roller Rockers that have a burnt valve and need freshening up.

Going to add one more thing to the pile of weight loss and performance. Looking at an Ram Aluminum Flywheel 2515 and Ram HDX Clutch 88502HDX. I see no since in pulling an engine and adding performance without replacing the clutch and upgrading it.

My experience so far with lighter flywheels hasn't been to bad. On a lighter vehicle with higher gear ratio they aren't so bad. But like many things it is all a matter of personal opinion. It ranks in that are of what really is a true street vehicle. Ask 10 Gearheads and you will always get a different answer.

Let me know how it drives taking off from hilly areas or inclines. Then drive through a fast food joint. If its pretty drive able let me know and I may consider it for my eventual build.

I know on v6 and 4cyl cars I would never see benefit outweighing embarrassing yourself stalling everywhere. So I'm curious how it turns out on a Windsor.

So heads were officially decided on today for $685 Shipped. Edelbrock Performer 60379 with Ford Racing Roller Rockers M-6564-B351

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181196070985?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I also should be picking up a 1989 5.0l engine complete intake to oil pan for $50. Guy has it stored in his dads garage on the bench and dad wants his bench back. Says was running when pulled. All I really need is a core that can be bored .030 for the stroker pistons.

So to follow this up on where my budget is at right now. The $50 motor was a bust, seized cause the dude wasn't smart enough to store the engine right. Also it looks like it had a blown head gasket. Sp two cylinder bores had about 1/4 inch of bubbled up rust and it was already .030 over bored so useless to me. Fast forward to today. So what do I have.

Scat 331 Rotating Kit New in Boxes $740 (Needs to be balanced)

Edelbrock Performer Heads W/ Ford Racing 1.6 Roller Rockers Used Rebuilt $685

Summit Racing 347 Block New in Crate $480

Corporate Blue POR15 Engine Paint Kit $50

Parts I am most likely to add to the above list shortly:

CVF Racing Pullies(High Flow)

Roller Lifters/Spider/Dog Bones

Dampner/Balancer (Fluid Type Most Likely)

Tall Valve Covers

Flywheel

Clutch(Upgraded)

Camshaft

ARP Head Bolts

Gaskets

Oil Pump (Standard Flow)

Back