Introduction

Gold Rush

Hello everyone,

Figured it's time to introduce myself after lurking for a while.

My name is Richard(Rick) Longfellow and I am originally from New Castle Indiana and currently living in Ocala Florida. I am soon to be joining the ranks of the retired as of Sept. 3rd. I will no longer need an alarm clock.

Spent most of my teens riding in a 64 1/2 convertible with my best friend. At the time I was a Mopar guy as there were a ton of them for real cheap at the time. Didn't buy my first Mustang till after I got married and she was the glue for my wife and I in the early years. We worked on her together and were all three joined at the hip. Even back then rust was the big issue and I learned how to pound metal roughly into shape and screw and tack welding. Repainted her the original Gold Glow and named her Gold Rush even though she was only a stock 351C we got a rush. Had her for five good years but she went missing after quitting on the freeway one day.

Since then we have had four Fox body Mustangs and one Capri but they always seemed to be jinxed. Two were totaled and the others were just drove into the ground as I have a long commute. My wife refuses to ride in a Fox body after she was T-boned in hers. Now we are looking for another Gold Glow 72 fastback to restore together now that the kids are all gone. I have a lead on one that is pretty close to the perfect candidate, just waiting on funds to free up after retiring. Can't wait to get back to my favorite obsession. Seems I have already found a great source of knowledge and maybe some new friends.

Thanks for a great forum:

Rick

Rick, not Rich or Dick or Richard

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome from Las Vegas, Rick! Glad to have you on board! ::welcome::

- Travis

I'm an analog man in a digital world.

Rick,

Welcome from California. Story is similar to mine, had a 71 back in high school, a 66 convertible and 69 Mach 1 before kids. Now retired and picked up a 73 Mach 1 in March. All torn apart and hoping I can remember how to put back together. Good times.

Jeff

Jeff

1972 Q Code Convertible

Welcome from western Tennessee! ::welcome::

Ron

The Rickster, a 1973 Mach 1, being restored as a tribute to my brother who passed away with COVID in July 2020.

Billy, a 1976 Ford Bronco, also needs a lot of work.

El Guapo, a 1986 F150, frame-off Resto-Mod.

Also, in the queue, a 1950 Ford F1 Panel truck and 1962 Falcon Ranchero

Welcome from Ontario Canada!

1_14_01_12_10_54_29.png

Ken

73 Convertible 302-4v-3spd yellow /white int

08 Bullitt 4.6-5 spd black/black int

All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy

[button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-garage?filterxt_uid=327]Visit My Garage[/button]

Welcome from St. Petersburg, just south of you by a few hours on I-75/275. Best wishes on the search and retirement.

Tim: Restoring 71-73 Ponies, Restoring People

139A1893.jpg

Welcome Rick,

Thanks for sharing your story.

All the best in your retirement in a few weeks time. Here's hoping you find the perfect replacement for Gold Rush and that the three of you will continue on that road once traveled. Enjoy the memories and the making of new ones.

Hi Rick and ::welcome:: from Luxembourg, Europe.

I have to admit I am kind of a Mopar nut myself, I am actually looking for one to keep my 72 vert company in the garage.

It's always good to have your wife on board when it comes to expensive hobbies. :-)

spacer.png
Mike
"If I were you...... I´d rather be me." 😛
Check out my video:
http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-my-mustang-in-action

Welcome to the club, Rick. Glad to have you here!

Doc

Project started 8-7-10

Completed: All new suspension, rebuilt 351C H Code bored .030 over with mild cam and intake, new 3.50 TracLok, custom exhaust system

Current "mini-project": interior upgrade :-/

[button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-garage?filterxt_uid=76]Doc's Garage[/button][button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1973-mustang-convertible-restoration-and-modification]Doc's Wiki[/button]

Welcome from Oklahoma.

Ray

1971 Boss 351  

1972 Q code 4 speed convertible 

1971 Mustang Sportsroof  351-2V FMX 

1971 Hardtop (parts car)

1973 Mach 1 (parts car)

A big welcome from Sunny Phoenix

'Mike'

73 Convertible - 351C/4V CC heads/4bolt/forged flat tops/comp 270/rhodes/mallory unilite/tri-power/hookers/glasspacks/c6/3.50 limited slip/Gear Vendors/Global West sub frames, strut rods and shelby style traction bars/ Rear sway bar/tilt steering (not original)

Pics of modifications included in: [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1973-convertible--3335]My Garage[/button]

Welcome from central Virginia! I've had a few jinxxed fox bodies myself, one time when my wife says "baby i bought me a mustang!!!" i said "cool how much" she said "$400 can't you beleive it?"

uhh yeah it was a 86 four eyed hatch with a batched together front bent frame and 3.8v6 automatic, she had allready paid him and thought we could fix it up together...I followed her home and we stopped at gas station and she couldn't get it into reverse..yeah the tranny was dead. I rebuilt the transmission out of some old C4 kits i had laying around and donated the car to the goodwill becaue it was just way too much trouble i wanted to deal with.

• 5 months later...

Hello everyone,

Figured it's time to introduce myself after lurking for a while.

My name is Richard(Rick) Longfellow and I am originally from New Castle Indiana and currently living in Ocala Florida. I am soon to be joining the ranks of the retired as of Sept. 3rd. I will no longer need an alarm clock.

Spent most of my teens riding in a 64 1/2 convertible with my best friend. At the time I was a Mopar guy as there were a ton of them for real cheap at the time. Didn't buy my first Mustang till after I got married and she was the glue for my wife and I in the early years. We worked on her together and were all three joined at the hip. Even back then rust was the big issue and I learned how to pound metal roughly into shape and screw and tack welding. Repainted her the original Gold Glow and named her Gold Rush even though she was only a stock 351C we got a rush. Had her for five good years but she went missing after quitting on the freeway one day.

Since then we have had four Fox body Mustangs and one Capri but they always seemed to be jinxed. Two were totaled and the others were just drove into the ground as I have a long commute. My wife refuses to ride in a Fox body after she was T-boned in hers. Now we are looking for another Gold Glow 72 fastback to restore together now that the kids are all gone. I have a lead on one that is pretty close to the perfect candidate, just waiting on funds to free up after retiring. Can't wait to get back to my favorite obsession. Seems I have already found a great source of knowledge and maybe some new friends.

Thanks for a great forum:

Rick

Welcome from Latrobe PA. How do find NPD auto parts in Ocala. I live in Daytona for 20 yrs till 2003. Just out grew florida. See my mustang at the on the road spot light COTM as well 200+ pics and descriptrion on my photo album or ez gallery my user/member name is Mustang Dynasty.

Mikke

1_12_09_14_11_07_03.png