How to replace your 71-73 dash pad

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocketFoot

Stangin' ain't easy but somebody gotta do it!
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
How to replace your 71-73 Dash Pad.

1. First, obtain your new dash pad from your favorite Mustang parts vendor.

20080604_step01.jpg

2. Start by removing the original dashboard from the top. Unscrew the six screws aligned across the front of the top and also taking out the three screws above the instrument panel.

20080604_step02.jpg

3. Continue by taking out three additional screws laid across the top of the passenger side. These are the ones that keep the top of the dashboard in place.

20080604_step03.jpg

4. Lift the top of the dashboard and pull out the entire assembly being careful not to scratch the a pillar trim.

20080604_step04.jpg

5. Remove the five tinnerman nuts on the back of the dashboard panel assembly. Use an 11/32-inch socket.

20080604_step05.jpg

6. Now, separate the dashpad and crown as shown in the photo. You will be installing the new dashpad in the same fashion.

20080604_step06.jpg

7. There are two locations for nut clips on each side of the dashpad. Drill these locations with a 3/8-inch bit to make way for the nut clip. Remove the material in the middle of each side to make room for the nut clips to be attached to the dashboard.

20080604_step07.jpg

8. Be sure to drill pilot holes in the two locations on each side first. Then, drill them with the 3/8-inch bit as shown—again, this is for the nut clips. The new 3/8-inch hole will allow room for adjustment.

20080604_step08.jpg

9. Transfer the nut clips from the old dashpad to the new Just Dashes dashpad.

20080604_step09.jpg

10. Be sure to remove that material from the middle of each side to make room for the dashboard nut clips. If you need a reference, look at your original dashpad to see where you need to remove the material. To do this, you can use a jigsaw.

20080604_step10.jpg

11. The dashboard crown is retained with screws and three retainer clips that slip into three square openings in the top of the dashboard. Be careful with these clips! If they break, you’ll be forced to look around for a parts car.

20080604_step11.jpg

12. Now, to complete the install of the new dashpad and crown, simply slip the clips into the square openings, pushing the assembly in place. Keep in mind, this part of the install requires you to temporarily remove your vehicle identification number (VIN), as it is attached to this assembly. Check your state’s vehicle laws for VIN removal and transfer, as you may have to have a law enforcement officer or motor vehicle administrator witness the removal to keep this thing legal.

20080604_step12.jpg

13. Reinstall the screws that keep the dashboard crown and dashpad fastened. Now, just enjoy your new dash! Hopefully, it took you less than an hour…

20080604_step13.jpg

Thats a good How to do it article.Two thumbs up !
This is tried and true...I've done this job myself! It's really not too bad.

Rocketfoot,

Aren't there two screws in the top center of the dash?

Mine had these, and I didn't notice them at first (they had rusted the color of the dash pad) and I nearly did damage to my car trying to wrench out the dash with them still firmly in place.

I couldn't tell from your instructions if you included removing these as well

(This was a 73 Mach 1, not sure if 71-72 are different)

JimNiki. If you're asking me my answer would be no, my car has the AM/FM radio so I have no center speaker and have the stereo option with a speaker in each door. Though there were kinda in the center area

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rocketfoot,

Aren't there two screws in the top center of the dash?

Mine had these, and I didn't notice them at first (they had rusted the color of the dash pad) and I nearly did damage to my car trying to wrench out the dash with them still firmly in place.

I couldn't tell from your instructions if you included removing these as well

(This was a 73 Mach 1, not sure if 71-72 are different)
There are on mine, I was ready to post the same question. They require a short stubby screwdriver

There are on mine, I was ready to post the same question. They require a short stubby screwdriver
Oh good so it's not just me. My dash is still out so if I think of it next time I work on the car I'll take a picture to show them.

I think I used a socket wrench with a bit in it to get to mine, but a stubby screwdriver would work just as well.

BTW, the retainer clips are now available. I picked up a set at Ohio Mustang. They work great.
I'm getting close to ordering a Ford Orig tooling dash pad.

Can I reuse 40 year old retainer clips or do I really need to buy new ones?

Of course my concern would be after pulling the dash pad off and then finding out that the original retainer clips are broken or can't be reused.

Back