LOWER COWL PATCH TACKED IN

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Q code Mach 4spd
2004 350z
2005 Corvette
1971 Camaro SS/RS
If you saw yesterdays video of how I made the cowl patch..Heres how it looks tacked in...Gonna sandblast the whole area after we finish the install

100_1913.JPG100_1915.JPG

Sweet! Looks pretty much like what I need to do to the driver side of mine.

Can't say it enough (to Scott and everybody) - thanks so much for sharing all the pictures, video, and information about your awesome restoration work. It's skilled people like you that inspire people like me with basic skills and similar problem areas.

great job scott. are you going weld it through after you put on the cowl cylinder?

abudi

great job scott. are you going weld it through after you put on the cowl cylinder?

abudi
Abudi...Thanks ! No..if you put the top hat on(cowl cylinder) There's no way to get to the back for welding..at least the way I'm doing it by welding from the outside..Which is the way you want to ,so theres no way for water to sit in the seam

Sweet! Looks pretty much like what I need to do to the driver side of mine.

Can't say it enough (to Scott and everybody) - thanks so much for sharing all the pictures, video, and information about your awesome restoration work. It's skilled people like you that inspire people like me with basic skills and similar problem areas.
Thanks E ! Some times a simple "Thank You" makes it all worth while ! ( I'm saving the template so if you need a copy when the time comes just pm me)

Last edited by a moderator:
just wondering, what are you using to cut the top of the cowl open with? i was thinking of a sawz-all or a small air reciprocating saw

also,are you sand blasting all theses areas ,or using a D/A ? a little of both?

Last edited by a moderator:
just wondering, what are you using to cut the top of the cowl open with? i was thinking of a sawz-all or a small air reciprocating saw

also,are you sand blasting all theses areas ,or using a D/A ? a little of both?
PB...I use a small body saw with a hack saw blade..A sawzall is gonna distort & bend the heck out of everything.. depends on the extent of the rust but a combo of what you said & a coarse wire wheel on a rotary air grinder I have a vid here of the patch making

do not know what you mean by small body saw? a hand saw?

thats what i thought you meant,just wanted to make sure.like to start buying the sheet metal i will need to start on front of car,looks like i will have to make some small patches to cowl end caps, i will have to get some metal for patches.does it matter what year i get my metal from?would metal from a early 80s car be ok?

thats what i thought you meant,just wanted to make sure.like to start buying the sheet metal i will need to start on front of car,looks like i will have to make some small patches to cowl end caps, i will have to get some metal for patches.does it matter what year i get my metal from?would metal from a early 80s car be ok?
Doesn't really matter whats important is the thickness or gauge is the same

Hey Scott, Those video's are really helpful. Thanks for makeing the effort.

Back