Some help with timing/carb on 1973 Mustang Mach 1 351c

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

supeg

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1 Mustang
351c Q
Hey guys. Have had my 1973 Mustang Mach 1 for approx 10 years. Last couple of years I have been really busy with my new family and have barely had any time to take it out at all. It seems to have issues with Timing and Carb (Runs real rich).

I used to take my Mustang to Classic Car shops in the past for stuff like this but they have gone under. I am pretty mechanically inclined but more towards the newer stuff, but eager to learn.

Here are the specs on the Car.

1973 Mustang Mach 1

351C Q code 4V .30 over bore

Aftermarket Comp Cam

Long Tube Headers

3.0 inch exaust with Flowmasters

Holly 750 Double Pumper

4.11 Rear end

Manual

I have included some pictures at the bottom of this post showing some of the specs of the items in the vehicle.

Basically I need help setting the Carb and the Timing. I have never done the timing and will be buying a timing light. Do I set it at Idle and what degree's do you guys think would work and how do I actually do it.

The Car runs rich as well and would like some help with tuning the carb.

I apprecate any and all help you guys could give me. Again, I have a young family and cannot really afford a shop so trying to learn and figure this stuff out on my own.

20130816_184045.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/100356247/20130816_184408.jpg

That's a big cam. You are not going to pull a lot of vacuum at idle. That's okay, just know that you won't be pulling more than about 10 to 13 inches. You didn't mention which distributor you have. Make sure the ignition is is good working order before messing too much with the carb.

That's a big cam. You are not going to pull a lot of vacuum at idle. That's okay, just know that you won't be pulling more than about 10 to 13 inches. You didn't mention which distributor you have. Make sure the ignition is is good working order before messing too much with the carb.
Here is pics of the Distrib

20130821_174057_resized.jpg

20130821_174202_resized.jpg

20130821_174240_resized_1.jpg

When you buy the timing light. you also need :

1, DWELL METER

2, VACUUM GAGE

3. White Out Pen

The DWELL METER is needed to confirm your ignition is properly charging the coil.

Vacuum gage is necessary to confirm you engine doesn't have any vacuum leaks.

And, with a large duration/high lift cam, idle is going to be an issue due to the lack of vacuum being pulled at low idle. But, you need to start somewhere.

Keep a book handy regarding these setting so in the future, if you have any problems, you know what your "starting" point was.

Oh...and the white out lets you mark the timing/harmonic balancer pulley. You run a line from the front outer edge to the center of the pulley. This way if your rubber breaks free from the pulley and turns a couple of degrees, you will see it on the marks. Doesn't happen often, but when it does, you scratch your head for a few days.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back