to 460 or not?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slobin3d

Reaction score
My Car
1971,2,3 Mustang Project car
I'm picking up a e350 van that is not worth driving, but does have a good running 460 and c-6. Is it even worth the effort to type this considering swaping out my 351W and fmx for a 460 c-6 combo?

Last edited by a moderator:
If I had a 460 and trans I'd do it.

Just something about a big block in such a big engine compartment.

My 73 makes the 302!sitting in there look like a Briggs and Stratton.

Going to be doing it with my 72. have 85% of the parts needed. including a rebuilt 460. just need to get a set of FPA headers. and a few other bits like a tailshaft and a bigblock C6 rebuilt. And I'll be into it. as time permits..

I have also lightened my 460, buy using Ally Trick-Flow heads, ally edelbrock rpm air-gap intake, edelbrock ally water pump, and an Ally Griffin radiator..

Last edited by a moderator:
hows mating a 460 with a functional nasa hood? I have one and really dont want to remove it or make it non functional

The big block engine position requires a different air cleaner for use with ram air.

I'm going the opposite direction, from a 351 to a 302 (well 5.0 actually) the lighter weight will give the car better balance and mild 5.0 will make as much power and be more efficient.

anyone know off hand the weight of a 460 block vs a 351w block?

I had planned on building my 351 into a 408 with lots of aluminum, but now this 460 is thrown in my lap..... HMMM

I'm wondering if its worth doing the swap, i know a 408 with aluminum goodies should make 500HP pretty easy, what kind of power should i expect out of a 460 with similar treatment and money spent? Also I was planning on running a t-5 or 6 speed in place of the FMX for more fun and better mileage. is there a bellhousing out that will mate a big block to these transmission

I'm wondering if its worth doing the swap, i know a 408 with aluminum goodies should make 500HP pretty easy, what kind of power should i expect out of a 460 with similar treatment and money spent? Also I was planning on running a t-5 or 6 speed in place of the FMX for more fun and better mileage. is there a bellhousing out that will mate a big block to these transmission
IMHO it's not ..I'm glad my 429/460 is gone...Even With all the upgraded suspension, alum heads..water pump etc it still felt like I had a boat anchor up front compared to my 351 car..Great wow factor though.. but that gets old fast... Doing a 408w Myself.. Reliable..plenty of power...great power to weight ratio..

460 cubes are great for a weekend local cruiser. In a very Old School way.

I do too much travling with my cars to be limited that way. IF I weren't going to a Coyote drivetrain, I would have a 408 Fuelie and 4R70W. And as things like transmission controlers advance I would definately consider dropping the 4R70(4 speed auto) for the Coyote's 6R80(6 speed auto)

Back