1971 Spring Sport

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

71springsport

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Spring Sport Coupe. All Stock except for the 351 Windsor.
Hey guys. I just recently got a 1971 Spring Sport coupe. Apparently, there are around 500 made and I've only found one on the web that someone has. Does anybody know anything about these cars?

Thanks

My Dad's best friend bought one new in NC. His was Dark Ivy Green with Argent stripes. The were coupes with Mach 1 Stripes and Grille and rear end treatment. I have found a few over the years for sale but not much info online. In 72 they did a similar spring special with the cars having a full chrome surround (front bumper and hood trim and fender caps) and NACA hood. I tried to buy one back in 03 but rust had taken it's toll. I haven't seen anything online about it since. The websites that had the info are no longer in existence which happens a lot with the internet and people losing interest. Just like the boss 351 registry.

Last edited by a moderator:
The guy wanted $3500 for the 72 and he thought it was a Mach 1 because the salesman told him that in 72. The engine compartment was a time capsule still had every factory sticker and even the letters that you see on concours cars on the firewall. The drivetrain was the only thing of value 351 CJ 4speed and locking 3.25 rear. The hood had separated from rust and the floors crunched when I touched them. The last 71 I saw was a lime green with black stripes in Hampton VA for $2000. Needed total resto. They are nice looking rides restored.

http://mustangattitude.com/cgi-bin/showcar.cgi?pic=/1971/1971_00028_01

From "Mustang Special Editions". In it is a page and 3/4 long article about the 1971 "Special Value Package", also known as the "Spring Special" or the "Sport Coupe". They made 9,003 of them, all coupes (obviously), and all engine options were available.

no problem do you have any pics of the car? Where are you located and welcome from West Virginia! Add a post in the introductions section

71springsport, was that you who posted up on Facebooks "1971-1973 Mustang Owners--The Big Horse Club "

about the Spring Sport?

Welcome to the site from Rhode Island.

Hi - my name is Gary and I live in San Jose, California. About 2 years ago I decided it was time to teach my 2 boys how to work on cars since they were 16 and 18 years old. So, I saw this older Mustang sitting on the street and asked the owner if he wanted to sell it. He said "No, not yet". So I left my number with him. About 2 months later he called me and said he wanted to sell it. It turned out to be a 1971 Spring Sport Edition Mustang. They had driven it out from Michigan (I think) and he has had it sitting on the street for 10+ years. Here is a picture of it when I bought it. (Grabber Green is the color, I think). I paid $3000. It had a newly rebuilt engine (351 W), automatic trans, and new brakes all around (disk in the front, drum in the rear). Since buying it, we have found some rust holes in the vinyl top and in the trunk area. My boys and I have done all the body work and are getting it ready for paint. The interior was original but in need of restoration so everything has come out and I am putting in a new headliner, carpet, and dash pad. I will include 2 pictures (before and current images).

CAM00819-1.jpg

Welcome from Denmark [emoji6] Regards DK73

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Regards DK73

Thanks for all the warm welcomes from across this big globe of ours. Here is a current picture of our 71 Spring Sport Edition coupe as we get it ready for paint. It has a dark green interior and I am not sure what color to go with. I do not care for its original grabber green color.[attachment=35695]

Well Gary that's a Nice story of hove you got this car[emoji41][emoji106] Which Color is you to decide. Mine is not the original Color either. But I just love the bright Red as it had when I bought mine. Since you don't care of originality wise Color. But I will follow your progress on restoration off your Nice Car[emoji12][emoji41][emoji6] Regards Lars DK73

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Regards DK73

Hey guys. I just recently got a 1971 Spring Sport coupe. Apparently, there are around 500 made and I've only found one on the web that someone has. Does anybody know anything about these cars?

Thanks
Here's a few pictures of my parents 71 Spring Special that we just finished up about a month ago, we have had the car since 1973.

1971 side.jpg

1971 2.jpg

Back