Aftermarket Heads

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Blue Glo Mach 1
Hi All

Thanks for the warm welcome on the introduction page.

I am Looking for some input on what heads to put on a 393 stroker. I am not chasing big power. A lazy 480-525 is just fine. I am thinking about a dart iron eagle top end kit or maybe a edelbrock top end kit for this little roller cammed engine. What are your thoughts on these options it is not a high dollar build so no need for yates heads or other exotics. Appreciate any comments advice etc from anyone running either of these set ups achieving close to my HP estimates

Luke

Last edited by a moderator:
for the wheezer I'd recommend the AFR 225 series heads. They run great out of the boy and can really be modded to breathe well for a small block based Ford.

+480HP out of a 351ci engine is doable, but i wouldnt call it "lazy". Stroking gives you torque. Rpm gives you HP. Add the two and you get piston speed that requires very strong parts.

+480HP out of a 351ci engine is doable, but i wouldnt call it "lazy". Stroking gives you torque. Rpm gives you HP. Add the two and you get piston speed that requires very strong parts.
X2, 500hp from anything is certainly not "lazy" unless you are talking turbocharged. A naturally aspirated 500hp will be tempermental at best. It takes work to build the cylinder pressure it takes to support that.

As for heads, the CHI are nice but not budget. You can make decent power with modified 2v and 4v factory heads.

CHI 4V look promising and work with common 4V intakes, give you the weight savings of aluminum and the performance capabilities are definitely there. I'm building with Iron 4V heads, but if I was replacing them, this would have been my choice.

http://www.jonkaaseracingengines.com/products/cylinder-heads/chi-heads-4v-228cc-325cfm-bare-cleveland-sb-ford-alloy-heads/87-chi-heads-4v-228cc-325cfm-bare-cleveland-sb-ford-alloy-heads.html
CHI are good heads. The 3v would suit my application. They are good for 580. My engine wont be a big revver so probably wouldn't need 4vs. CHI 3v run at about 3000 of our pacific pasos. The whole dart kit was around the same that's why I was considering them

Cleveland or Wheezer?
Cleveland

I agree very doable its only about 1.3 hp per cubic inch in a 393. should be a good balance between torque and revvability. I am aware of clevo block limitations but this should be ok

X2, 500hp from anything is certainly not "lazy" unless you are talking turbocharged. A naturally aspirated 500hp will be tempermental at best. It takes work to build the cylinder pressure it takes to support that.

As for heads, the CHI are nice but not budget. You can make decent power with modified 2v and 4v factory heads.
thanks Jeff

you are right with chi not being budget heads. I was looking at not having to spend a lot of time on stock 2Vs. That said there are lots of stock headed or stock stroke clevelands at willowbank (local drag strip)making or exceeding my target window for hp. My car wont see a lot of track action so I probably don't need all the very best parts but budget and cheap are very different things as you are aware.

Brent Lykins (B2B Motorsports) reports good results using the new Trick Flow cleveland heads for this type of build.

Dan Jones and Dave McClain have also reported a positive experience with these heads.

http://www.gearheadtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?33187-Trick-Flow-PowerPort-Cleveland-heads

Whatever you do I would stay away from the Edelbrock heads. Everything I have read indicates they are far inferior to all the other aluminum head offerings.
Many thanks TFS heads never even thought of them. May have to investigate prices. 521 hp @ 6000 is right on the money. I was looking at 523 at 6500 give or take 10hp in the real world. Was also a bit amazed at the similar build specs that I have planned just 408 vs 393 and I will go pro systems carb or quick fuel instead of holley. Thanks for the edelbrock tip off too.

Ps love them stealthy dove head 460 builds. A friend had 1 in a 70 galaxie I liked it lots, block long burnouts no worries

Howdy

just a quick update TFS heads in Australia run over $4000. Much cheaper if I get them from jegs or summit ex USA. CHI's are about a grand cheaper but they are cheaper still in the US. CHI are made here in Aus so you would expect equal cost at least. Still looking into iron dart top end kit. Will update on that later.

Speed costs money, true, but nobody likes to get ripped off.:mad:

I am running AFD 4v heads and love them. They are on a 408 stroker Cleveland and im making around 550-575hp. Thing is a beast on the street, and yes a bit temperamental. But well worth it. My last motor was around 400hp and that extra 150 hp and a ton more torque makes a huge difference. It will melt the tires at will LOL! The AFD heads can be bought fully assembled and ready to go for around $2200. I had to drop my compression down to 10.25 to1 to run pump gas on the street. Originally it was around 12.75 to 1. Builder said in that form running race fuel and a different cam I could easily hit 700hp with those heads! Good bang for your buck.

I am running AFD 4v heads and love them. They are on a 408 stroker Cleveland and im making around 550-575hp. Thing is a beast on the street, and yes a bit temperamental. But well worth it. My last motor was around 400hp and that extra 150 hp and a ton more torque makes a huge difference. It will melt the tires at will LOL! The AFD heads can be bought fully assembled and ready to go for around $2200. I had to drop my compression down to 10.25 to1 to run pump gas on the street. Originally it was around 12.75 to 1. Builder said in that form running race fuel and a different cam I could easily hit 700hp with those heads! Good bang for your buck.
nice build will look at AFDs for sure

Just a heads up about prosystems carbs.. When I was building my motor we were going to use them but they said they are not building carbs for any motor under 600hp. They said it not worth it for the customer. You can buy a production carb that will cover up to 600hp easily. I went with a quick fuel 850 on my 408.

Just a heads up about prosystems carbs.. When I was building my motor we were going to use them but they said they are not building carbs for any motor under 600hp. They said it not worth it for the customer. You can buy a production carb that will cover up to 600hp easily. I went with a quick fuel 850 on my 408.
thanks for the tip.

have you/will you put your car on the track or you just happy with a tuff streeter

thanks for the tip.

have you/will you put your car on the track or you just happy with a tuff streeter
Havent ran it on the track. Doubt i would ever hook up on the track with out some slicks or radial slicks. I would be kinda nervous getting it to hook up, since im running a 8.8 rearend. Its been tough as hell so far, but it has never launched hard and hooked up good. Afraid a good launch and hook up may grenade it LOL!!! :D Not saying i wont try though. It does have 31 spline axles so it may take it a few times. I would like to see what it would to in a 1/4. On the street its a handful.

Back