What is your favorite Movie/TV 71-73 Mustang?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Kit Sullivan

The Mustang has been in many movies and TV shows over the years...and for good reason.

I think my favorite is probably the original "Eleanor" from "Gone in 60 Seconds". Not the best looking Mustang, but just plenty of crazy, high-speed action.

What are some other favorites?

Another rare sighting is in a TV movie from the 80s..."Red Flag: The Ultimate Game". A pre-Topgun fighter lilot movie with William Devane and Barry Bostwick.

Devane's character drives a 71/72 convertible dressed up in full mach-1 clothing: hockey sticks, tutone ram air hood, mach 1 front end, magnums, front and rear spoilers. Duals with chrome slashcut tips.

Red and black, it looked awesome

though the DAF car is cool (even w/ the blooper cause I would never dream of trying that in a 71-73) mine will always be the original eleanor from the 74 GI60S movie. I mean how can you beat a 45-60 minute chase scene that goes all over 70's LA county and does a level of damage (without a stunt driver BTW) that the nick cage eleanor fake would never be able to handle?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QjzNlWBLx0 Mr billions mustang was kinda diff..Not my fav.."gone in 60 and james bond stang fill the bill for now" But i am defeantly a Terrance Hill fan..lol..Mustang does not show up till about 2:27..Talk about some wild mods..And aluminum front air dam..lol
My God! That music sucked. I understand putting up with it for the cars though. Thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QjzNlWBLx0 Mr billions mustang was kinda diff..Not my fav.."gone in 60 and james bond stang fill the bill for now" But i am defeantly a Terrance Hill fan..lol..Mustang does not show up till about 2:27..Talk about some wild mods..And aluminum front air dam..lol
My God! That music sucked. I understand putting up with it for the cars though. Thanks.
Was that Slim Pickens, of Dr. Strangelove fame?

Last edited by a moderator:
The Diamonds car for looks, but Eleanor wins out as the all-time favorite, just because it's better featured in the film.

Am I the only one who thinks that the DAF chase should have been 10 times more exciting than it was? There's something unbelievably dull and lackluster about it - just like the whole film (with particular exception to the elevator fight in Amsterdam).

Even the rather cheap DB5 chase in Goldfinger (complete with severely overcranked chase scenes) was more suspenseful due to better cuts. It was also a stroke of brilliance to end the chase with Oddjob's Mercedes 220S fillings the screen with its headlight - even though that shot should have wound up on the cutting room floor as the focus puller wasn't quick enough to compensate for the split-second closeup.

-Kurt

I agree that the chase scene in DAF ( as well as TMWTGG) is dull and lifeless, in spite of the impressive stunts performed. I blame this on the camerawork as well as the editing which gives it a rudimentary and perfunctory look. Some lower camera angles and some more frenetic editing would dramatically improve it.

I agree that the chase scene in DAF ( as well as TMWTGG) is dull and lifeless, in spite of the impressive stunts performed. I blame this on the camerawork as well as the editing which gives it a rudimentary and perfunctory look. Some lower camera angles and some more frenetic editing would dramatically improve it.
DAF had a few good bits of framing followed by some utterly terrible ones; a real hodgepodge.

I'd say TMWTGG was a bit better if only by virtue of being campy. About equal to an average '70s TV show with a bit of a boost in budget.

-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
Another great "Movie Mustang" is the 67 ( maybe a 68?) red convertible in "Innerspace". A few Shelby body parts, a roll bar, some nice wheels and tires...a great looking car. Too bad they made a few references to it being a manual transmission when it was all too clearly an sutomatic. Beautiful car nonetheless.

Diamonds are forever and of course Bullet are always first and foremost but Gone in 60 seconds plays a close 3rd both versions and Gold Finger and Thunderball have great cameo spots of early mustangs.

The Mechanic 1972 Charles Bronson

image.axd

v16gv9.5882.jpg

v74ba9.5072.jpg

Back