Stock Exhaust Tips

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Blue Glo Mach 1
Howzit sports fans ;)

Dum question :huh:. what are stock 73 Mach 1 exhaust tips suppose to look like for duel exhaust cars? No Valance cut outs, pics would be appreciated

thanks

Luke

Last edited by a moderator:
73 *** were just turn downs

you would see a bit of the curved pipe under the edge of the valance

***Some members have early 73 / made before 1/1/73 that have cut outs

Speculation is that it was changed to turn downs for noise reduction

4-v Mach 1s had rear valance cutouts and slash-cut 3" chrome tips. 2-v mach 1s had single exhaust, turn down tip and smooth valance.

Other 4-v Mustangs( hardtop, sportsroof and convertible) had dual exhaust with turned down tips and smooth valance.

4-v Mach 1s had rear valance cutouts and slash-cut 3" chrome tips. 2-v mach 1s had single exhaust, turn down tip and smooth valance.

Other 4-v Mustangs( hardtop, sportsroof and convertible) had dual exhaust with turned down tips and smooth valance.
My 4-v Q code Mach 1 had dual turn down tips. I think it was a flip of the coin on which style you got. Converting it to the chrome tips, I like that look better.

-jbojo

In 73 it was hit or miss (mostly miss) getting cut outs in the valence and chrome tips in the Qcode Mach 1s. There are several owners on here who's 73 4v Mach 1s have original turm down dual exhausts and some are the original owners of their cars. I believe BT's car is one of them that has turn dwns but as been converted by himself to a cutout valence. Maybe he'll post about it.

My 73 qcode parts car has turn downs as well but I'm not the original owner.

Apparently there were a considerable amount of oddball content in the 73s, no matter what the "official" ordering guides said.

I bought an 82 Mustang GT brand new, and it came frome factory with the standard Mustang red, white and blue pony emblem on the hood and chromed accents inside instead of the "official" Mustang GT blacked-out parts instead. Would that car be considered a mistake?...an oddball? Or "correct" because it came from thd factory that way?

Last edited:

REALLY ??? You sure ???

That is the "official" way it was supposed to be, but we know they weren't all made "correctly".

The 82 GT may have had "only" 157 horses, but it was no slouch. The first 2 gears of the 4-speed were low, so acceleratjon was good. No automatic available in 82 w/ 5.0 litre. The engine had a nice "marine" cam, a pretty big 2- barrell carb, and a good free-flowing exhaust. It was the fastest stock car sold in 82.

Low 14s were easy in stock form, a couple minor tweaks would get you mid 13s. Those times are as good if not better than any typical, average "muscle car" from the 60s. They were especially good compared to what else was available for a late-70s/early 80s "muscle car".

People today sometimes seem to forget how good we have it right now: the level of high-performance easily and affordably available to anyone at reasonable prices is absolutely astonishing. It won't last forever and we will sure miss it when it gone. I know I will.

Last edited:
"That is the "official" way it was supposed to be, but we know they weren't all made "correctly"."

:huh:

My car had the single exhaust when I got it. Boy was it restrictive.

I modified the rear valance for the cut-outs and installed dual exhaust with the correct tips.

Know of a very late year production 1972 Q code 'vert stock with turndowns just like Boss Mustangs. Very clean look.

Pic of Boss 351's rear valence view.

2expyps.jpg

Ray

Back