Wiring harnesses

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Ford Mustang Convertible
I am cleaning my wiring harnesses and repairing them. Any opinions on factory type static tape versus braided wire wraps to redo the harnesses. I have located many sites that sell the original type static tape, but I don't really know which one is best. Some are sticky, some are not. Also, Summit sells the braided woven wire wraps. In pictures, they look like the original wraps that are on my Tailight harnesses that go from the tail-lights to the instrument panel. One product is braided cloth, the other polymer material.

For the headlight harness, would you wrap them in static tape or use the braided wire wraps????

factory was nonsticky tape under the hood. they had a good reason which im sure you can guess. funny there's braided in the trunk, which i have. mine is still working after 40yrs, why switch from what the factory did?

There's nothing close in the aftermarket for the tail-light braiding; to do it properly, the looming has to be built before the connectors are molded onto the wires. Furthermore, Ford used cotton cloth for the looming; it is now banned from use due to flammability issues.

The static tape is a real pain to apply and get it to stick in place without unraveling: you must start it with a loop. Personally, I use the adhesive-type tape.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would recommend Eastwood non-adhesive harness tape. I typically use a piece of 3-M adhesive tape for one turn at the end of the harness tape wrap to keep it together.

Anyone tried this or seen it in person...asphalt cloth wire loom. Looks about as close as I have found for trunk light harness.

Asphalt Cloth Harness Material Link
Yes, I ordered it. It is very stiff, and will not compress to allow the wires in. Thus, you cannot get any connectors through the looming or splice wires and insert the splice inside the looming.

I've got the asphalt type stuff. Works good if you plan on building a harness from scratch. It won't have enough give to it to let you slide through any connectors.

Thanks guys...can you cut it then pull apart and put over your existing wires?

Jeff

I've got the asphalt type stuff. Works good if you plan on building a harness from scratch. It won't have enough give to it to let you slide through any connectors.

Thanks guys...can you cut it then pull apart and put over your existing wires?

Jeff

No.

Back