• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

auto trans & 9" axle for 3spd toploader &8"axle

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
None
Hi all I'm trying to return a 1972 coupe back to it's original setup.

Currently the car has been modified with an auto transmission (not sure if it is a FMX/C4 or C6). I'll find that out once I get eyes on the car.

If your car has the 302 2V engine (F code) and has a manual 3 speed transmission (1 code) built in March 1972 (xxC code) and would be interested in trading the 3 speed manual transmission for this automatic transmission let me know. The transmission plate should read RAN CA 1 for a transmission built after december 1st 1971.

Secondly from what I am given to understand the axle has been changed out of a 9" one.

Again if your car has the 302 2V engine (F code) and has an 8" axle with a ratio of 2.79:1 (code 3) and would like this 9" axle let me know.

The axle tag should read WCZ-V for an axle built before Dec 15th 1972 or possibly WCZ-V2 for an axle built after Dec 15th 1972.

If anybody is parting out a car with either the 3 speed manual transmission (code1) or the 2.79:1 ratio 8" axle (3 code) contact me also.

I'm in no hurry to do this so I can wait until you are ready for the swap or sell your parts.

I have a 3 speed out of a 72. Interested?

Chris, I meant to send you a note while I was at work to tell you approximately when the sprint was made based on vin sequencing...but I forgot. Seems like it was mid-April. Remind me to check on Monday and I can tell the ate within 2 week of when produced.

I have a 3 speed out of a 72. Interested?
It depends really on the code on the trans. It should have a RAN-CA1 code on it plus I would like the date code to correspond to the build date of the car. Also what would your asking price be? I wonde how much it would cost to ship it to Canada?

Chris, I meant to send you a note while I was at work to tell you approximately when the sprint was made based on vin sequencing...but I forgot. Seems like it was mid-April. Remind me to check on Monday and I can tell the ate within 2 week of when produced.
Hey Don the door tags reads 04/72 and according to the owner it was built around 4/30/72. I will know more once he sends me the Deluxe Marti report.

P.S. does anybody know if the car VIN was stamped on the trans, and if so where was it located on a three speed toploader?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back