Difference between these wheels??

I'm trying to find out the difference between the 1969-1970 Shelby GT500 wheels and the Magnum 500 wheels?

Is there any difference in these wheels? I see only slight difference in the photos, but I want to know if anyone knows for sure??

Will the 69-70 Shelby wheels fit the 71-73 Mustangs?

shelbywheel.JPG.e6b9bdd7270b35d63bd5fcb32404a73e.JPG

69-70 Shelby Wheels

magnum500.JPG.3fae0161eb3de0c1accd5c88884e5ba6.JPG

Magnum 500 Wheels

My current Mustangs 2012 Shelby GT500 & 1972 Mustang Grande 351C

mycars.JPG

mach1clubbanner2.jpg

I believe the difference is in the center cap. The standard Mustang cap won't fit the Shelby wheel. The Shelby wheel will fit 71-73 Mustangs, provided you haven't installed larger brake rotors and calipers. I've always liked those wheels.

- Travis

I'm an analog man in a digital world.

The upper wheel is a reproduction of a "Kelsey-Hayes Mag-Star". It originally had an aluminum center-section riveted to the steel rim. It was standard equipment on early 69 Shelbys, but was recalled. In curb-hits or other minor bumps, the two pieces could come loose or seperate. They were recalled and replaced with Magnum 500s. The wheel shown above is not an exact match for the OEM wheel.

The Magnum 500 was not a Ford wheel or even made by Ford. It was made "Motor Wheel & Rim" and was also used on many GM and Chrysler vehicles as original equipment.

The upper wheel is a reproduction of a "Kelsey-Hayes Mag-Star". It originally had an aluminum center-section riveted to the steel rim. It was standard equipment on early 69 Shelbys, but was recalled. In curb-hits or other minor bumps, the two pieces could come loose or seperate. They were recalled and replaced with Magnum 500s. The wheel shown above is not an exact match for the OEM wheel.

The Magnum 500 was not a Ford wheel or even made by Ford. It was made "Motor Wheel & Rim" and was also used on many GM and Chrysler vehicles as original equipment.

Cool info!

My current Mustangs 2012 Shelby GT500 & 1972 Mustang Grande 351C

mycars.JPG

mach1clubbanner2.jpg

On GM cars too??

- Mike

Wow. That's amazing! So what is the GM part number for the Magnum 500's that will bolt on my 73.

2rr7aiv.png

Just cruising along minding our own business when BAM!!! The LAWS show up.

The upper wheel is not a magstar

Magstar had larger openings - more of a spoke type wheel used in 1967

69 - 70 Shelby wheels had different spokes with smaller openings

The upper wheel is not a magstar

Magstar had larger openings - more of a spoke type wheel used in 1967

69 - 70 Shelby wheels had different spokes with smaller openings

No offense Kit but I have to agree with Don.

And the surface of the spokes on the Magnum 500's are tapered.

Here is a pic of a 67 Shelby with original Kelsey Hayes Magstars

2qceagx.jpg

166n5hh.jpg

Ray

1971 Boss 351  

1972 Q code 4 speed convertible 

1971 Mustang Sportsroof  351-2V FMX 

1971 Hardtop (parts car)

1973 Mach 1 (parts car)

Yes, I realize that wheel does not resemble a magstar very closely, that is why I mentioned that it was "not correct". The description of it as a "69 Shelby wheel" is what led me to call it a magstar, since that is the original wheel for a 69 Shelby.

Really, it doesn't really look a lot like either a magstar or a magnum, other than superficially.