Difference between these wheels??

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Current Vehicles:
2010 Mustang GT
2008 Lincoln Navigator
2007 Kawasaki Brute Force 750i 4x4
2006 Kawasaki Brute Force 750i 4x4
2003 Kawasaki Mean Streak 1500
1997 Mercedes SL500 AMG Roadster

I'm trying to find out the difference between the 1969-1970 Shelby GT500 wheels and the Magnum 500 wheels?

Is there any difference in these wheels? I see only slight difference in the photos, but I want to know if anyone knows for sure??

Will the 69-70 Shelby wheels fit the 71-73 Mustangs?

shelbywheel.JPG

69-70 Shelby Wheels

magnum500.JPG

Magnum 500 Wheels

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe the difference is in the center cap. The standard Mustang cap won't fit the Shelby wheel. The Shelby wheel will fit 71-73 Mustangs, provided you haven't installed larger brake rotors and calipers. I've always liked those wheels.

The upper wheel is a reproduction of a "Kelsey-Hayes Mag-Star". It originally had an aluminum center-section riveted to the steel rim. It was standard equipment on early 69 Shelbys, but was recalled. In curb-hits or other minor bumps, the two pieces could come loose or seperate. They were recalled and replaced with Magnum 500s. The wheel shown above is not an exact match for the OEM wheel.

The Magnum 500 was not a Ford wheel or even made by Ford. It was made "Motor Wheel & Rim" and was also used on many GM and Chrysler vehicles as original equipment.

Last edited:
The upper wheel is a reproduction of a "Kelsey-Hayes Mag-Star". It originally had an aluminum center-section riveted to the steel rim. It was standard equipment on early 69 Shelbys, but was recalled. In curb-hits or other minor bumps, the two pieces could come loose or seperate. They were recalled and replaced with Magnum 500s. The wheel shown above is not an exact match for the OEM wheel.

The Magnum 500 was not a Ford wheel or even made by Ford. It was made "Motor Wheel & Rim" and was also used on many GM and Chrysler vehicles as original equipment.
Cool info!

On GM cars too??

Yeah, GM too. They were on early 442s, and also on Chevelle / El Camino SS models. And also on AMC Javelin/ AMXs.

Personally, I think the Shelby rims just look better - I like the bigger voids between the spokes than with the Magnum 500s.

The upper wheel is not a magstar

Magstar had larger openings - more of a spoke type wheel used in 1967

69 - 70 Shelby wheels had different spokes with smaller openings

Last edited by a moderator:

The upper wheel is not a magstar

Magstar had larger openings - more of a spoke type wheel used in 1967

69 - 70 Shelby wheels had different spokes with smaller openings
No offense Kit but I have to agree with Don.

And the surface of the spokes on the Magnum 500's are tapered.

Here is a pic of a 67 Shelby with original Kelsey Hayes Magstars

2qceagx.jpg

166n5hh.jpg

Ray

Yes, I realize that wheel does not resemble a magstar very closely, that is why I mentioned that it was "not correct". The description of it as a "69 Shelby wheel" is what led me to call it a magstar, since that is the original wheel for a 69 Shelby.

Really, it doesn't really look a lot like either a magstar or a magnum, other than superficially.

Back