Ultra-Rare '71 Spring Coupe Mach 1 on ebay.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With another backwards wing.

I though in 71 the Mach 1 lettering on the rear trunk was above the stripe and not incorporated into it?

Maybe not so much factory or dealer installed?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah - show me the original window sticker or Marti report that shows the Mach1 decals. At least it has the correct bumper but this is one plain ugly duckling that should have been left 100% stock and even then it is still priced double what it's worth on a good day.

OK - in all fairness, it IS a good-looking car (mistakes aside). Although it's probably a skoesh overpriced.

Other than having the spoiler backward & too far forward along with the out-of-place Mach 1 decals and trunk stripe too high, it looks like a straight body with a nice paint-job.

That car to me is hideously ugly. The decals ruin it, as does the bass-ackwards and miscolored spoiler.

The lowers should be black, but the way it is now looks stupid with the decals...an incomplete look.

The rear stripe is also ridiculous, clearly not designed for that car.

They may as well have just stuck "Trans Am" decals all over it.

Sooo... not only is the spoiler backwards, who decided the placement of it on the trunk??? Plus, the person that put the car together could have at least put in a deluxe interior for that price!

Well, except for the rear spoiler being on backwards and too far from the edge I really like it.

Like Mike pointed out, the right fender/valance/bumper issue might need a closer look but it looks like a clean car.

In Europe we'd be all over it at that price. :)

I would agree that this car is not a fair representation of what Ford actually produced as a sport package available on the coupe in late 71. I recall seeing an accurate Spring Special package car back in the late 80's at a car show and just could not beleive the owner so I did some research back then and Ford did produce a coupe package with the NACA hood and side stripes. Here is a reference on another website http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/classic-talk/284837-1971-spring-special-mustang-info.html I think this seller has taken some license in restoring the car to non-original appearence, but it could be a sport package coupe just restored wrong.

The Spring Special package came just as it looks it was availabe with any Color combo.

but the Wing is Backwards.

"The Spring Sports Coupe captitalized on the '71 Boss Mustangs, just as the '70 Grabber had capitalized on the '70 Boss. The Spring Sports Coupe was dressed up to simulate a 351 Boss, with quite a long list of wanted features such as: Boss side stripes (no lettering), NASA hood, Mach 1 grille w/ "sport" lamps, E70 x 14" whitewalls, hubcaps w/ trim rings, dual sport mirrors, and the Mach 1's coordinated moulding/bumper organization. It was officially called the 'hardtop special value package', and was scheduled to be offered from March through May of '71. "

http://specialmustang.com/cgi-bin/specialmustang.cgi?year=1971&model=&smod=Spring Edition&optn=&name=Spring Special Value Hardtop

1971_00028_01.jpg

1971_00028_02.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Whomever authored that blurb about the Springs mimicking the "'71 Boss Mustangs," should've maybe said "'71 Mach 1s" instead, since the only '71 Boss model came with a chrome front bumper, complete hood black-out treatment, and no tail light panel trim.

Probably splitting hairs, but... well... that's sometimes what we do, right? ;)

the problem with the front valance is they didn't black it out to match the stripes so it looks odd. wings on backwards and painted body color making it look odd.

wouldn't take much to fix the slight issues.

i have a buddy with a pewter silver 71 sportcoupe he still has the half vinyl roof on it, and original paint, its in really good shape.

You really saved on this Mach 1. For all the work I had done to my 72 vert, mostly farmed out, since 2003, the body work, frame up was 20k, 7K for modifying the Q code to an R Code w/9.5:1 compression ratio, 5K for a gear vendors overdrive onto my toploader tranny and Hurst 4-speed, @ 12K or complete electrical to the EFI, 10K for suspension(heavy duty shocks, sway bars, ....), 7K for front and rear power disc brakes to replace the drums, 10K for the rest of the work on cpy cat profile. My regrets was about 8K damage at one garage and 5K in paint job although there was further tweaking on body panels, re-installing interior and all that where paint job was inferior though. However, had the convertible dump into my lap for only 2.3K. re: pic of what it looked like at acquisition. All interior panels tarred over and rotted vinyl and rubber gaskets....[/code] so expected a lot of work.

Back