1971 Boss 351 Mach 1 at Mecum

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boss 351 Mach 1? I have seen numerous Boss 351s with the standard two spoke wheel in a Deluxe Interior it just seems so out of place!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm - it's got Mach 1 seats and deluxe door panels. I wonder what else isn't original.

Awesome-looking car, though.

Hmmm - it's got Mach 1 seats and deluxe door panels. I wonder what else isn't original.

No rev limiter. Eric were you just pointing out the Mach 1 Seats and deluxe door panels they are correct together. There are several things that the finish are wrong on if they are wanting concourse money for it.

No rev limiter. Eric were you just pointing out the Mach 1 Seats and deluxe door panels they are correct together. There are several things that the finish are wrong on if they are wanting concourse money for it.
I was under the impression that Boss 351s didn't come with deluxe interior/Mach 1 seats. Could this be one of those instances where... wait for it... the owner ordered something that was on the 'prohibited optional items' list? rofl (sorry... it's just too easy sometimes)

I was under the impression that Boss 351s didn't come with deluxe interior/Mach 1 seats. Could this be one of those instances where... wait for it... the owner ordered something that was on the 'prohibited optional items' list? rofl (sorry... it's just too easy sometimes)
But could you order the center air vents without ordering A/C?

Nope, yet there they are. I wonder what kind of duct work they have under the dash since they don't have the A/C heater box...not that you could get A/C on a Boss anyway. :dodgy:

Who knows, maybe you could.

Nope, yet there they are. I wonder what kind of duct work they have under the dash since they don't have the A/C heater box...not that you could get A/C on a Boss anyway. :dodgy:

Now see? I showed incredible restraint in not pointing that out because I'm not expert on the center vents. After all, mine had an open hole with sheered off vent-mounts on the backside of the center gauge pod - and it's a non-A/C car. Well... "Was a non-A/C car" thanks to Classic Auto Air. ;) :D

Anyway, yeah - the Boss 351s were "rumored" to be 'sleepers,' and weren't supposed to have all those heavy and power-robbing creature comforts of deluxe interiors, A/C, automatic transmissions, or dual-exhaust cut-out rear valances.

Again - AWESOME car! I just think it's either not a true Boss 351, or it was not faithfully restored as such. The VIN would go a long way to settling this debate for sure.

I phoned Mecum, and requested the vin #. I told them of my concerns with the "Originality" of the supposed & advertised as a 1971 Boss 351 Mach 1. I will keep forum members abreast of my communications or lack thereof with Mecum's....Mark

I phoned Mecum, and requested the vin #. I told them of my concerns with the "Originality" of the supposed & advertised as a 1971 Boss 351 Mach 1. I will keep forum members abreast of my communications or lack thereof with Mecum's....Mark
Wow. Interesting. Thanks for doing that. I hadn't even considered doing something like that. I'd be interested to find out if anything comes up as noteworthy.

It would suck for the seller if it's been misrepresented and they get busted (as either trying to pass it off as all-original, or if it's really a Mach 1 made up as a "Boss 351 Clone"). OTOH, I would have to lose some respect from the Mecum Auction for not knowing more about the vehicles they consign if the sale goes forward as a '71 Boss 351 with no issues.

Honestly, I would be totally surprised if the Mecum folks don't already know what's going on - their reputation is on the line every time another car rolls across the auction block.

And again, it's still an awesome car, and I hope it's a real Boss 351 with all the right stuff.

Dad's Pewter Boss has Deluxe interior with Mach 1 seats and a Rim Blow. The Dark Ivy Boss has Comfortweave.

Dad's Pewter Boss has Deluxe interior with Mach 1 seats and a Rim Blow. The Dark Ivy Boss has Comfortweave.

I think this one was on ebay before and the seller refused to answer questions then.

this looks just like the mach 1 that was on this forum a short time ago. Rebuilt by the Gas Monkey Garage. If it is, not surprised to see it on auction.

Back