'73 Mach1 made in Mexico

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Ford Mustang Mach 1 351 CJ all matching numbers, under restoration.
73 Ford Mustang Sprint from Mexico.
Hello,

I have not far from hometown a Mach1 to sell. This car come from Mexico and was exported (DSO).

Engine is a Windsor 4V connected to a 4 speed mecanic gearbox.

My question is:

Is this car could be a rare one?

Thanks for advice.

2013-08-31 17.20.58.jpg

2013-08-31 17.11.38.jpg

2013-08-31 17.11.48.jpg

2013-08-31 17.14.23.jpg

2013-08-31 17.12.48.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
They are rare for America...But as for production numbers i heard hard to nail down..you cannot get a marti report on them...That metric speedo is rare too...That looks to be a mexican sprint/mach 1 just by the paint job style.....I like the paint jobs they got..lol

Yes, that is a Mexican Sprint. Cool car. Kind of rare in the US and not too much info on the internet about them. They may or may not be rare in Mexico. No data has turned up either way.

There are a few threads about them on here in the past.

I'd buy it.

I would say yes based upon the unusual two-tone seats. The door panels should look very different also.

http://www.darkhorseracing.net/73_mex_sprint.htm

Gossip says that for 1973, Ford Mexico had many cars on the assembly line that might prove to be very difficult to sell since the completely restyled and downsized 1974 Mustang II was already in production. Mexican engineers and production staff came up with a very clever solution to the problem -- make a 1973 1/2 version of the Mach 1 and market it as the 1973 1/2 Mustang Sprint.

Four different color schemes were available: brown and white; green and white; baby blue and white; and red and white. The urethane front bumper, roof, hood (with non-functional air scoops) top of front fenders and top of the doors are in color. The front fenders, door, quarter panels and trunk are white. A very large Mach 1 decal is positioned on the rear quarter in lieu of the flag that appears on the U.S. version, plus the front fender Mach 1 decal is dropped, replaced by the Mustang script emblem. The Mach 1 designation appears in decal form on the right-hand side of the trunk. These decals are the same color as the body.

All versions are equipped with the 351 Windsor engine and a Honey four-barrel carburetor. A very simple air filter housing, painted either blue or gold and possibly carried over from earlier models is used. This configuration features one hose connected to an anti-smog device located behind the right front fender. (In Mexico, emission control was almost nonexistent in those years.

Transmission choices were either a four-speed manual with a Hurst shifter, or an automatic.

Nearly all of these cars came with no heater, defroster, or air conditioner in an attempt to make them as sporty and affordable as possible.

The unique interior matches the exterior color scheme. The seats feature the body color in the center surrounded by white vinyl on the sides accented by color-keyed carpeting. The instrument panel includes a tachometer to the left, fuel gauge in the center, and speedometer to the right of the steering column. Oil pressure, alternator, and water temperature gauges are located at the center instrument panel facing the driver. A three-spoke Rim-blow steering wheel, console, and AM radio are standard equipment.

A plaid rubber mat is used in the trunk along with a Space Saver spare. A 1971 pop-open style gas cap adorns the rear. In keeping with the affordability aspect, hubcaps and trim rings were used rather than '73-styled slotted mag wheels.

All of the above is what I've read in other paces on the web. All I can addis that the door panels are very similar to Cougar door panels and have a square wooden looking plaque type device above the armrest. The big Mach 1 decal on the quarter looks cool!

In one of the pic above notice the later model heat & A/C controls.

1973MexicanSprint-3.jpg

I believe here in France there are not too much mexican Mach1. Those pictures come from my brother who was there last week end.

Anyway, I will try to drive next week end check about the rust, and I want to hear the engine running.

The dealer wants 14000 euros, around 11200 us $, price is not fixed, I can discuss it.

Thanks for advice.

I read "Honey four-barrel carburetor". Is it a mistake and is "Holley" instead of "Honey"?

Last edited by a moderator:
I read "Honey four-barrel carburetor". Is it a mistake and is "Holley" instead of "Honey"?
Yeah, I'm sure they meant Holley, though them chebbie guys use them honey's.
Yes Holley of course, thanks.

Tomorrow I drive there to check the car from under to the top...

Good luck on getting this car It looks pretty good!

I think the Mexican Sprints are very cool looking cars. If you get t I hope you'll put the big Mach 1 on the rear quarter panels.

Manu,

Here is a Spanish website that explains more about this car. I know it has been a while but I hope you were able to get the car...

I posted this in another similar thread also...

Related Spanish website

http://www.mustangueros.com/showthread.p...973-Sprint

I recently uncovered more info including this Mexican press article introducing the 73 1/2 Mexican Sprints:

I translated in English:

Mexico produces new model

Mach One

This new model Mustang Mach I, the "Sprint” is an exclusive model, because the same will only be produced by Ford of Mexico 600 units for the whole country. The "Sprint” a 1973 model and a half , emphasizes the essential features of Mustang Mach 1 ; on the outside with bold color combinations in baked acrylic paint to help highlight the white and scarlet robes inside. This new model further enhances the sporty flavor of Mach 1 retaining the same mechanical characteristics of this year. In the picture below you can see the dash and console, which was followed using the same colors, except in the scarlet, where it is contrasted with black. The "Sprint” is in white background, with the option of four different combinations of colors: scarlet, blue, green walnut and olive.

Original text in Spanish:

Fabrica México nuevo modelo

de Mach One

Este nuevo modelo de Mustang Mach I, el "Sprint" es un modelo exclusivo, ya que del mismo sólo serán producidos por la Ford de México 600 unidades para todo el país. El "Sprint", un modelo del 1973 y medio, acentúa las características esenciales del Mustang Mach 1; en su exterior con audaces combinaciones de colores en pintura acrílica horneada que ayudan a resaltar las vestiduras blancas y escarlata de su interior. Este nuevo modelo aumenta más aún el sabor deportivo del Mach 1 conservando las mismas características mecánicas de este año. En la foto de abajo puede ver el tablero y la consola, en los que se siguió utilizando los mismos colores, excepto en el tono escarlata, en el que se hace contrastar con negro. El "Sprint" es en fondo blanco, con opción a cuatro diferentes combinaciones de colores: escarlata, azul, nogal y verde aceituna.

Ray

Car has a new owner in France. He has it posted under the Mexican Mustang Facebook group.

Manu64 thinks he might live close to him in France.. I hope he can get the owner to join us.

Ray

Back