epoxy primer question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach I
1973 Grande
Will be taking my car down to bare metal in the next week or two but have a question about primer. How much epoxy primer is it going to take to spray the car from the firewall back, no doors or trunklid. Also, how many coats and how much time between coats?

If your going to be spraying all the body parts anyway, it is a little cheaper to buy it by the gallon as they seem to charge more for smaller quantities. I spray one medium wet coat for a good seal. your body fillers will go on top of this, and then 2k filler before blocking and paint.

If your going to be spraying all the body parts anyway, it is a little cheaper to buy it by the gallon as they seem to charge more for smaller quantities. I spray one medium wet coat for a good seal. your body fillers will go on top of this, and then 2k filler before blocking and paint.
Would a quart be enough to spray the car? There's no tail light panel and only rear quarters from the body line up. If a quart will cover it I'd rather spend the extra for the smaller amount. It will probably be SEVERAL years before I end up spraying doors or any other parts. How much would you mix up? Thanks!

I knew this question had do be asked in here somewhere and BEHOLD i have found it!  The magic question of how much...  I'm about to media blast my 73 Mach 1 sometime in the next couple of weeks (yes i'm doing it myself) and I want to get some primer on there as soon as I have the metal all prepped.  My plan of action is to use SPI epoxy primer after the metal prep (soap wash, grease/wax remover, Ospho rust inhibitor, sit over night, Ospho again (to remove the dry Ospho), grease/wax, 80 grit sanding, damp cloth wipe down, primer). I'm thinking about first hitting it with red, then after the flash time passes get it with 2 coats of black.  The main reason would be so I know where I'm at during the block sanding process so if i'm getting too close to bare metal I see red and know it's time to STOP!  The black coats will highlight any imperfection in the metal (in theory) so I can see waves, high spots, dips blah blah blah before I get to the point of using a guide coat. And, I get to see what it looks like in red and black to help me with what color final paint will be... Anyway, back to the original question of how much of each would I need for the whole car?  I'm guessing a quart of red (plus the catylist at 1:1 mix so 2 quarts sprayable) and a gallon of black (plus the catylist again so 2 gallons sprayable).  Does that sound about right?  I'm media blasting and hitting the epoxy BEFORE any metal work is done so I know there's going to be a bit of waste and re-primer in the mix.  I plan on buying individual quarts as I go along at that point but as of now.. that's a ways off in the future.  Anyway, I appreciate any insight and direction you guys want to give.

The guy who sprayed my car from the firewall forward used Valspar epoxy primer.  I think the ratio was 4:1:1.  He used about a quart and a third of unmixed primer, and that was to do both sides of the firewall, cowl,  the floorpan inside from the seat mount forward, the interior of the engine compartment back to the transmission crossmember and the whole front both sides minus any bolted on parts.  That was one coat.  It did spray pretty easy, and was very thick.  The overspray was minimal, and it hardened into a dust.

Every product is diffrent, and I am no expert. 

I know there are a ton of opinions out there, but the opinion of the guy who sprayed my car was to use one coat of epoxy primer, then work on top of that with an diffrent primer that is easier to work with.  I don't know if there is truth to that, but he prefered the way other products sanded cpmpaired to the Valspar epoxy primer.

Be careful with the Ospho and SPI epoxy. They do not play well together.

Its ok if you do it right. I used both on my build taking Barry's(owner of SPI) suggestions.

Here's a good vid that talks about it.

SPI is a fantastic epoxy primer!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Its ok if you do it right. I used both on my build taking Barry's(owner of SPI) suggestions.

Yup,  I saw this, that's why I'm hitting the ospho a 2nd time,  then the grease / wax again, then primer.  I might even give another soap bath in there somewhere. But you see in the video how good it works IF it's done right.

When you hit it the second time then wash it off do it on  a warm day while metal is warm. Keeps the flash rust down.

That's part of why I want to hit it with the grease/wax remover again after, it SHOULD knock off any flash rust before I prime it... Thanks for the heads up tho..

Back