Total Options Cost

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1 CJ 4 speed HIGHLY Optioned
Hello Fellow Enthusiasts; Recently purchased an original owner 1973 Mach 1 CJ 4 speed "Highly Optioned". Car was purchased from a Santa Clara, California Dealership & spent it's entire life in Santa Clara county. NEVER been hit body...Very Nice example!!!...recently received my deluxe Marti report and was pleasantly SURPRISED to learn the car was a "1of1"!!!...was surprised even more being the original cost of the 1973 Mach 1 CJ was $3,088.00...with an options extra cost of $ 1,108.68....MORE THAN a 1/3 of the initial cost in options!!!....does anyone else have a similar example of the options list adding OVER a 1/3 to the vehicle's purchase price. Interesting story from the owner's widow..."If it's True"?!....her story was the dealership had a list of CASH buyers for 4 speed CJ's, due to their rarity, especially in SMOG HAPPY California, the dealership would get a 4 speed CJ in their inventory & start making calls to the list of CASH buyers...No CASH in hand...on to the next name on the list....the original owner got the call...had the CASH!!!...the rest is history!!!!....Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
Previous owner's story sounds plausible. 1/3 the price or more in options is not unheard of especially in early 71 and late 73.

Yep my J-code car has a pricey options list.
WOW!!!...I think we..."Have a WINNER"!!...going to be difficult to top that options list. Interesting to note, the rebate for the deletion of the automatic seat release....the original buyer, SURE KNEW what they wanted...the deletion credit reminds me in 1965, the first year for 4 wheel disc brakes on Corvettes, a buyer could get a credit of around $50.00 (?) by getting drum brakes in the rear, instead of the disc brakes. Also interesting is the price for the 429 is about equal to A/C....Is your 429 a "Ram Air" ?!....THANKS!!!....Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep she has ram-air, The original owner/buyer of the car was a Captain in the Air Force based in Florida. He owned the car for a fair while then sold it to another Air Force Captain. who later sold it to the fella I got it off.

The Marti Report is posted in the Marti-Report section of the forum...

My 71 J-code has a near identical option list: only difference is mine has ( had) AM/ 8-track stereo.

MSRP was $5514.

Mine also had the seatback release credit. Strangely, they were installed in the seats, just no hooked up.

Terry, Your J-code was made the day before my M-code C6 car. Problem is your car took the last 429 of the day and Ford didn't restock the 429 supply line before building mine the next day. :mad: :p

1F05M12xxxx Marti - Redacted.jpg

Mark,

Most have seen this before but here is my original options list. Also, note the Ford dealers name...

Jeff

b6vfco.jpg

2z6fr88.jpg

Mark,

Most have seen this before but here is my original options list. Also, note the Ford dealers name...

Jeff

b6vfco.jpg

2z6fr88.jpg
What's more puzzling is why it was diverted to the Ford Wixom assembly plant where they made Lincolns and Thunderbirds during that time before heading out to Cali.

It was produced on the 11th, released from the Dearborn plant on the 12th, then diverted to Wixom on the 13th.

What's more puzzling is why it was diverted to the Ford Wixom assembly plant where they made Lincolns and Thunderbirds during that time before heading out to Cali.

It was produced on the 11th, released from the Dearborn plant on the 12th, then diverted to Wixom on the 13th.
Don...I still have not gotten to the bottom of what car was used for. I was told by an old Ford employee that the stamp that said car was diverted meant...the E&L in the stamp is E&L Hollingsworth who was/is a air freight logistics company who would have been used to ship this car by AIR in a hurry to CA. They had an airfield on the Wixcom plant. Would love to know what caused this to happen.

Jeff

It could have been a company car for some Ford big shot. I have a 1973 convertible that I was told it use to be a Ford company car for a Ford engineer. My is also listed as ford marketing corperation as the dealer and under order type it is listed as a special purpose vehicle. It loaded like yours and has AC and power windows which are rare on convertibles.

John J

Back