New to Mach 1

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don65Stang

Reaction score
My Car
Several.
Not new to Mustangs but I've never owned a Mach 1. A relative offered theirs to me to buy.

It is a unrestored 351C, auto, 2-V originally now a 4-V. Looks like an early model 71. VIN is 1F05H180xxx

Engine runs good but trans is shot. Some rust & bondo.

What is a specimen like this worth? $4000? What would you pay? More importantly, how do I get the OK from the wife who says "No more cars!"?

71Mach1.jpg

Thanks!

Welcome! Roll Tide? I bought one in similar looking shape, 71 Mach 1 in 2002 for $4200. It ran, though not very well, C-6 automatic. I'd recommend looking under the carpet at floor pans and the trunk floor. They like to start looking like swiss cheese. Also check the cowl panel vents, but you probably already know that about Mustangs.

War Eagle!

Yeah, I know swiss cheese all too well from rebuilding the 65. I've always loved the look of the Mach 1s. I was born in 71 so this has that appeal as well. I got rid of a swiss cheesed 71 Gran Torino a few years back and have missed it ever since. Maybe this 71 will be a good replacement.

Welcome to the club, Don! You are definitely in the right place for Mustang info, and your first question is a doozy!

You can always go with the "it's time for me to relive a little of my youth" track, or the "it will be a GREAT investment, honey (although, as an experienced 'stang owner, you know that's usually not really true, now is it?) :p. Sometimes, it's something for the husband to "keep him busy" while the wife is quilting, or even "at least it keeps him out of the bars at night". :D

Or you can try them all. I got my 'vert for $5000 cash, and I haven't regretted it a bit. The friendship that I've found on this website has been good for both my Mustang, and my sanity. :)

And that's my very long-winded way of saying, "I hope you get the Mach, and hope to see you around here for a while." Glad you're here.

Doc

I hope I get the Mach too! Just in the last hour or so on this forum I really like what I see here. I don't say that lightly...I'm on several forums! VMF, TDIclub, M1911, dieselstop, and many others. Seems like a really good place to spend my internet time. :)

Thanks for the kind words, Don. Many people share your fondness for this site, and if I were to try to distill it down to one word, it would be "respect". That's very simplistic, but I think that, no matter where our members are located, when they come here, they at least get respect for being a fan of 71 to 73 Mustangs.

Dang, sorry for the soapbox tonight. I've alway known that I'm a bit long-winded, but I guess I'm on a roll tonight. Anyway, see you around the forum, and again, welcome! I'll keep my fingers crossed that you're able to get the Mach.

Doc

I'll post if it occurs or not. So $4k sounds reasonable? I don't know the options it came with...I'll find out those tomorrow.

Thanks for the kind words, Don. Many people share your fondness for this site, and if I were to try to distill it down to one word, it would be "respect". That's very simplistic, but I think that, no matter where our members are located, when they come here, they at least get respect for being a fan of 71 to 73 Mustangs.

Dang, sorry for the soapbox tonight. I've alway known that I'm a bit long-winded, but I guess I'm on a roll tonight. Anyway, see you around the forum, and again, welcome! I'll keep my fingers crossed that you're able to get the Mach.

Doc
Well said Doc, and as a relatively new member here, I've felt welcome from day one. If anything, I spend too much time here.

Don65, is the transmission automatic? rebuildable core at least? I spent 1k on having the floors and trunk done, and I have more to go that I'm planning to do myself one day. If you have less body work, then probably a wash on replacing trans/motor work. Depends on what you want to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
X2. Spend 15 minutes and peek under the carpet and look at the cowl and under the battery tray. Take your digital camera with you and post what you see here, and let us help you understand what you've got.

Or, do like many of us did and just say, "Hurray, I'm now a Mach 1 maniac, and even if all the rusted parts and chassis fit into a mason jar, with enough welding and solder I'll bring her back to life!" LOL! Just look around this site and you'll see that it's not that far-fetched. :)

Bottom line - it looks like a fun project from here, but without seeing the floor pans and cowl, and not knowing your interests yet, it's still up to you. Snap a few pics and we'll talk.

Doc

::welcome:: Not bad of a price for one if in decent shape,which looks to be, but give it a good looking over. Paid 5 for my 73, probably could have done a little better on the price but i bought online and only saw two pictures of the car, since i have had it i have been offered 8 for it and turned it down

Not new to Mustangs but I've never owned a Mach 1. A relative offered theirs to me to buy.

It is a unrestored 351C, auto, 2-V originally now a 4-V. Looks like an early model 71. VIN is 1F05H180xxx

Engine runs good but trans is shot. Some rust & bondo.

What is a specimen like this worth? $4000? What would you pay? More importantly, how do I get the OK from the wife who says "No more cars!"?

71Mach1.jpg

Thanks!
Hello and welcome Don!!... Well.. I´m from Uruguay so, values of this kind of cars are totally different here. We pay them expensive when they are unrestored and then you restore the car, it price grows enormusly.

But what i wanted to say is the following...

If your insides tells you you want the car, what happens if you dont buy it? will you regret it?? What difference does it make if you pay 4K, 3K or 5? is that difference trully important?

Well... 4000 dollars sounds great to me... the car maybe rusty but it seems to be complete and if it wasn´t involved in accident, you may have all important NOS parts (metal sheet, girlle, moldings, glass and so...) Besides, the car can have some rust but it´s not awful... you can see in the pics that all the body lines are there, all the gaps between the skins are normal so, if the car has some floor pans to change, should not be an issue and it´s not that expensive.. The important thing for me to check is the fact that rust did or did not reach the estructural areas.

How is the interior?? is it complete? that´s another thing you should see... This cars have a lot of expensive repro parts... i don´t know why but i restored a 66, 2 70 and this 72 i own and 66 is the cheapest by far...

For instance, if you dont have the steering wheel and you are going to but that as a new repro, you are gonna spend more on the wheel than if you were about to change all the floor pans...

Bottom line, i think 4 K worth the try.. 4000 dollars are not big bucks for any car enthusiastic and i this car for sure, worth the money on FUN and a good project that i can tell it is.

To add another point in favor, you have found a GREAT site to do a restoration of this body type car. Here there are member who know every nuts and bolts, there are members who did every body work you can imagine and there are members who knows the best deals on every part you could ever need... Believe me, i´m new here too and being objective, i have to say that this site and its persons behind are goning to lead you to a great restoring process and even better final product.

If i were you, this Mach 1 was already mine.

Welcome! Just tell the wife "We" told you to buy it! LOL

::welcome::

Update: Wife gives approval! I explained to her that they (you guys) all are saying to buy it and we could always sell it for a profit in a year or two. It wasn't an overjoyed, enthusiastic yes, but it was a yes none the less.

Welcome from central Ala.I think I have seen that before.Was that car from Miss ?
It is currently in MS not far from Mobile...maybe an hour or so. Current owner got it from their much older cousin who owned the car for "years and years". Do you know this car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back