Whistling noise on the freeway.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luxstang

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Convertible
Ok, I post this in the convertible section but it might apply to other body styles too.

For years I have had a whistling sound at freeway speeds, usually starting at about 120 km/h (75 mph).

It is a really loud noise and it sounds just like a teapot on the stove. (For our younger members: ask your gramps!) :)

The following information may help narrow it down a bit:

It appears to be coming from the passenger side and it makes no difference whether the top or the windows are up or down.

It is a wind noise.

It happens outside the car. If the top and windows are up, I can hear it come in from outside, muffled by the top and windows, although it is exactly the same volume outside.

Important little detail: I used to have problems with water seeping in under the windshield molding so I filled the gap between the frame and the windshield completely with clear silicone so that it is flush. No more water leaks but the noise was there before and after that job. Now no air can go under the molding which could have been a reasonable explanation for the phenomenon but that was obviously not causing it either.

Now, my question is if anybody of you guys have ever had that problem and if so what was the cure.

It starts to drive me nuts. I´ve heard it for years but now I´ve had enough of it. I notice that I start to avoid freeways altogether because of it and that worries me a little.

Other things we can ignore are the grille (did it with both standard and Mach1 grille), the rims and tires (Magnums, 15inch Torq Thrust or Centerlines and 18 inch rims make no difference) as well as the 69 Mach1 hood scoop, as it happened before that was on the car.

I suspect the opening at the bottom corners of the moldings where the water drains but a test with paper towels wedged into the space did not change anything.

Ok, now its up to you. :)

Thanks!

Sounds like you've eliminated the most obvious (wind catchers). Iyman may have nailed with it being a door seal. Also have you checked this as a possible source?

Jim

hood.jpg

Sounds like you've eliminated the most obvious (wind catchers). Iyman may have nailed with it being a door seal. Also have you checked this as a possible source?

Jim
Nope, I said in the description that the noise was there before the scoop was on.

Wouldn´t the door seals make a sucking noise rather than a whistling one? You know like when a window is not quite rolled up and it leaves a tiny little gap?

And with the top down I think you wouldn´t have the negative pressure pulling on the door seals.

This noise is really exactly the same as a teapot whistle.

When i had my bad Alternator on my car it made a similar noise but only when the speed was steady. probably not related to your problem but while driving it was apparent it was coming from passenger side. Other than that my car still has hardly any weatherstripping left and doesnt seal so i'm used to wind noises now.

Oh, by the way, it´s not the hood pins either. I removed the cables and taped the pins off. No difference.

I have a fastback but I had a whistle noise from the rubber window belt line seals.

I had pushed them into place when I replaced them years ago, but I never glued them in... Finally glued them whistle stopped.

I got rid of the antenna. In that case it could be a phantom noise. :)

Nothing to do with rpm or alternator either.

It's not a whining noise or a sucking one. It's clearly the sound of air being "cut". I lack a better word for it. High pitched like a whistle at a steady frequency.

Hi Luxstang,

I have also been noted in my Fiesta last year.

It was the new set of wipers, I put the old one back on and the sound was gone.

Try without wiper blades or new wiper blades.

Eddy

Hi Luxstang,

I have also been noted in my Fiesta last year.

It was the new set of wipers, I put the old one back on and the sound was gone.

Try without wiper blades or new wiper blades.

Eddy
Oh, interesting thought. I will give that a try, although I replaced the old style wipers with modern new ones in February and it did not make a difference.

I'll try and remove them altogether for a test.

O.K. I"ve got this problem solved , it's the hot chicks on the road whistling at the cool mustang and the rock star driver !!!!:p

Back