New personal mileage record

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luxstang

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Convertible
I gotta brag a little but I hope you´re not gonna hold it against me. :)

As many of you know I use my Mustang almost as a daily driver during the summer season and this year I have set up a new personal record. Since April I have put 20000 kilometers (nearly 12500 miles) on it!!

The best I did before were 16000 kilometers (10000 miles) in 2011.

All I did to the car during that period was one oil change and a little grease on the grease nipples under the car. The rest was just get in, crank and drive.

I can´t tell you how happy (and maybe a little amazed) I am when it comes to this car´s reliability, especially as I usually drive it like I stole it.

Well taken care of and driven regular I agree. These cars can be very reliable unfortunately mine hasn't fallen in the category for the last few years. Hoping to get it back to that though. Congrats though, nothing like enjoying these great cars.

Wow, that is nearly my mileage during a whole year - but with my everyday-jalopys... :sleepy:

Good duration test though :D But - is it not a bit too bad for you to run it every day? It is fun, every day, without any question, but so much kilometers... :blush: I would have the intention to nurse it more :D But, on the other hand, you have so much fun every day, that's cool also! Do you drive through sun as well as rain?

Cheers

Tim

Very cool Mike! I know gas is much cheaper in Luxembourg than Germany but last time I went through there gas was over $6.00 a gallon (3.8 liters per gallon, then conversion of Euros to dollars), an American muscle car is an expensive daily driver (especially the way you drive :)

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Jim,

hahaha, you now his drive-style already :D ?

Cheers

Tim
I´ve been working on my reputation here for a long time! :)

I know gas is much cheaper in Luxembourg than Germany but last time I went through there gas was over $6.00 a gallon (3.8 liters per gallon, then conversion of Euros to dollars), an American muscle car is an expensive daily driver (especially the way you drive :)

Jim
I did the math just now and I get 6.5$ a gallon in Luxembourg with today´s conversion rate.

It is cheaper than in Germany but not really that much. The difference is about 1$ per gallon.

My plan is to make my car as reliable as possible and it really has taken the role of backup car. But when I'm done i will probably put a many miles as you did a year. I just want to know how you drive it that much yet is always super clean and i can't tell any rock ships in your paint that eventually ensues as a result of being daily driven.

But - is it not a bit too bad for you to run it every day? It is fun, every day, without any question, but so much kilometers... :blush: I would have the intention to nurse it more

Do you drive through sun as well as rain?
I try not to drive in the rain. That means when it pours, I take the VW instead but sometimes I leave for work in the Mustang and 8 hours later I get caught in the rain on my way home, so yes, sometimes it happens. I try to avoid it though.

Not really for the car´s sake but I hate washing cars and when it´s clean, I want to keep it that way as long as possible, so I hate to get rained on. :)

I never understood the urge to pamper cars. They were made to be driven and if I don´t drive it I feel there is no need in owning it in the first place.

It almost physically hurts me to drive the VW or the Alfa Romeo when the weather is fine and I know I could be driving the Mustang.

By the way, I think that part of why it is so reliable is due to the fact that it hardly ever sits for more than a few days (except for 4 months during winter). I may be wrong but I think regular use helps a lot.

This has led me to the conclusion that I will avoid any rare originals, like a Boss 351 or in my recent quest for a Mopar something like an original R/T because I want to actually drive them and I would drive off their value.

I just want to know how you drive it that much yet is always super clean and i can't tell any rock ships in your paint that eventually ensues as a result of being daily driven.
There is a reason I never post close up pics. ;)

One rule says: Don´t take pics when it´s dirty. (Or if you do, don´t post them!) :)

It´s full of rock chips, dings and small scratches. The passenger side door also has lots of dings caused by other peoples doors on parking lots. It has a dent in the left rear quarter where something once slid to the side inside the trunk and hit the skin from inside. That kinda stuff. But the bright yellow color hides a lot of that.

Actually I might take a few close ups and post them. Header will be: "This is why you should not use it as a daily driver." :)

By the way, I think that part of why it is so reliable is due to the fact that it hardly ever sits for more than a few days (except for 4 months during winter). I may be wrong but I think regular use helps a lot.
I think so too. I would use my mustang more than actual, but wetness is a no go and if the weather report says, it could, I leave him in the garage. But that's ok, driving my mustang should always be something special when I'm in a good mood, the weather is shining and I have no stress...

On the other hand I admire your daily use, that's cool. I have the same inside dent as yours in the rear quarter coming from a sliding rim on my test drive before buying this mustang... So, after that, it was mine :D I will overdo that over winter half. Why do you left it, it is easy to remove. Let me assume: you love the signs of everyday life, right ;) ?

Cheers

Tim

Does the wife know about the greased nipples? Maybe that's why you had to do all that driving?

In regards to reliability, how is the Alpha?

Does the wife know about the greased nipples? Maybe that's why you had to do all that driving?

In regards to reliability, how is the Alpha?
I knew that was coming sooner or later when I typed it.

And I also had a pretty good idea whom it would be coming from. :D

The Alfa is a pretty good car. It´s actually the second one we had and both never let us down. They´ve come a long way in terms of reliability and rust prevention.

The one typical Alfa feature is that they put design over functionality so there are a few things you need to live with like some dead angles and stuff but that might be only my way of looking at things because the wife never complains about them.

I would definitely not hesitate to buy an Alfa again. I hope they will come up with a real cool coupe again like the Brera that they discontinued. I´d be in the market for one.

Man Mike you put me to shame! I thought the 4500 miles last year was pretty good (mostly around town)! This year I'm on pace for 6k but that's nil compared to you.

Congrats my friend! Way to drive that thing. Just one more way I aspire to be like Mike! :D LOL

Back