351C oil system mod

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mach 1 Mustang (project)
93 Dodge Shadow (daily)
86 Buick Regal (2nd project)
Hey guys I just wanted to ask if any of you have this mod and or recommend it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/250510413754?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

It supposedly used to help the oil starvation at the rear main and rod bearings.

"The problem is that Clevelands oil the camshaft bearings first, and then the main bearings. The result of this is oil starved # 4 and 5 main and rod journals. My kit routes oil directly from the front of the block near the oil pump to the back of the block to force feed the # 4 and 5 main and rod journals and adequately oil them."

Do you guys think it's worth it?

Thanks for looking.

I have the mod and plan to install it before I start my engine for the first time. As to whether it's needed it's a matter of opinion. For a stock motor probably not needed. I had no issues with my stock motor for the 58k miles that I put on it. If you are making a high HP motor it may help and be beneficial. I am doing this only because I had the engine out, it was a fairly inexpensive add on and if it does help its a additional beny. Just my thoughts here.

-jbojo

I spoke with MME racing about this mod as I had bought the exact same kit several years ago as well. His response was essentially that the cleveland oiling system is fine as it came from the factory unless it is going to be at sustained high rpm for long periods, and all this mod does in reality is increase the pressure at the sending unit.

There is a lot of disagreement on this issue and new bearing materials, higher pressure from shimming the relief spring etc make it a very difficult subject to get a clear answer on. I would spend my money on something more certain to give me my money's worth-like a good stripper.

Hi,

I have ask the same question a time ago, I build the engine back in the car without it .

40 years normal driving with this engine and never problems... .

You give better more money out on quality oil.

Maybe for races and so...

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-wasted-money

Eddy

Hey guys I just wanted to ask if any of you have this mod and or recommend it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/250510413754?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

It supposedly used to help the oil starvation at the rear main and rod bearings.

"The problem is that Clevelands oil the camshaft bearings first, and then the main bearings. The result of this is oil starved # 4 and 5 main and rod journals. My kit routes oil directly from the front of the block near the oil pump to the back of the block to force feed the # 4 and 5 main and rod journals and adequately oil them."

Do you guys think it's worth it?

Thanks for looking.

For a street or street/strip car, in my opinion, adding an external oil line and brass fittings is adding additional failure points. At some point in the future one or more of them will fail. For a dedicated racing engine I would say go for it, components are inspected regularly.

If you are concerned about the oiling to the main bearings, this is probably the best way to go for most 351C engines, specially designed cam bearings that eliminates the need for restrictors or external oil lines:

http://www.tmeyerinc.com/exclusiveproducts.html

The guy I crew for has it on the cleveland block engines. I would not run what is pictured in the ad with all the cheap hardware store brass fittings. If you want to install a kit like that use good quality components, that kit looks like a hot mess.

Thanks for the input guys, I think I'm going to hold off on this for now and maybe try to figure out a way to make one with braided line and AN fittings.

The guy I crew for has it on the cleveland block engines. I would not run what is pictured in the ad with all the cheap hardware store brass fittings. If you want to install a kit like that use good quality components, that kit looks like a hot mess.
Thanks to Jeff he advised me on what they run on the race car. Does it work? Well mines still going so, did not hurt anything by doing it.

oil1.JPG

oil2.JPG

oil3.JPG

Thanks for the pictures Roy, I think that I'm going to do something similar. What size fittings and line did you use?

Thanks to Jeff he advised me on what they run on the race car. Does it work? Well mines still going so, did not hurt anything by doing it.

If I were to do it, this is the route I would choose!

Yeah Roy, if you remember the parts list, I was planning on doing it with AN stuff too.
Ordered all from Summit Racing

AER-FBM5005-06AN ADAPTER BLACKA $3.95

SUM-220656B-6 1/4" NPT ADAPTER W/PORT BLKA $7.99

SUM-220686B-6 45 DEGREE BLACK HOSE ENDA $13.95

SUM-220687B-6 90 DEGREE BLACK HOSE ENDA $13.95

SUM-230606S.S. HOSE -6 6FTA $26.95

Yeah Roy, if you remember the parts list, I was planning on doing it with AN stuff too.
Ordered all from Summit Racing

AER-FBM5005-06AN ADAPTER BLACKA $3.95

SUM-220656B-6 1/4" NPT ADAPTER W/PORT BLKA $7.99

SUM-220686B-6 45 DEGREE BLACK HOSE ENDA $13.95

SUM-220687B-6 90 DEGREE BLACK HOSE ENDA $13.95

SUM-230606S.S. HOSE -6 6FTA $26.95
Sweet, thanks for the parts list.

I thought the Cleveland was designed so it did not need such mods " long as you have stock crank" Jack Roush swore up & down the only lubrication modifications he used was fitting the standard pump for 0.002" to 0.003" rotor clearance, a high pressure relief spring and his little cam bearing oil restrictor kit. his cleveland motors turned 9500 rpm. Jack Roush's partner, Wayne Gapp, was one of the 351C 4V engineers. I"m sure the insider information he had influenced his decision to retain the iron crank. He did not use this oiling mod. " and it was around at this time". Roush was tring to slow down the oil with restrictors due to the oiling flowing too well with the high pressure pump.

It did get a bad rap from Hank the Crank, and made people think it was a oiling issue..In stock forum the cleveland should oil itself as good as a 427 side oiler.." Bill Gays desgined to oil better for cheaper"

BTW...not tring to start a battle, and i don't think it would hurt, but i have not seen any real facts behind a oiling issue..." seen alot of the same repeated info on forums about backwards oiling system... got 20 years under my motor and the bearings are tight as hell " and i rodded the hell out of her as a kid" rings gave out before the mains ever dreamed of going..lol..My oil pressure always been fantastic compared to any other ford engine i had...She always sitting about 55-60 pounds after warmed up.... i have read a lot into this kit and even asked quite a few racers and engine builders " all with mixed responces" Ugh, not sure if it helps or not.

"Hank The Crank introduced a forged steel 351C 4V crankshaft in 1974. The crank was internally balanced, had extra counter weights AND ... very significantly ... relocated oil passages . Hank The Crank also introduced an external main priority lubrication manifold for the center 3 main bearings in the same year. The relocated oil passages in the crankshaft screwed up the design of the 351C lubrication system"

Hank made his external main priority luberication, due too his badly thought out crank oil passages.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back