rattle from gas tank , backfiring and sputtering

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tricksixtyfive

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible
351c fmx trans, 2013 kona blue pearl
OK I have been driving my car kinda rough. I cant help it my 351 is a beast. So now i hear rattling coming from the gas tank, and the car loses power, sputters and backfires. Is this the sending unit loose or a loose baffle. anyone have ideas on this.

sounds like it broke. Just kidding ! ha ha sounds like a broken sending unit right? if the pickup tube broke off then you'd get fuel until the level fell below where the tube broke, but not sure how it would break off, unless it just rusted apart. How can you hear rattling in the gas tank? Either way pickups are cheap and you should be able to swap a new one in quickly. Don should be able to ship you one, or you can get one at a NAPA store.

Last edited by a moderator:
i am only guessing, but if you are getting symptoms of fuel starvation then it could be related to the sending unit. Especially if you can hear some kind of rattling from the tank. Was it running fine with a full tank and began sputtering when you got down below half a tank? especially when turning left?

There is no baffle in 71-3 tanks

It is either the sending unit like wwhite said - I tend to agree with that

OR

There is a back splash metal strip on / in the filler pipe - that may have come loose

Well there you go. If you gotta drive it to work fill up the tank. If you dont then siphon it out. Don at OMS please tell our lucky contestant what he's won!

Well there you go. If you gotta drive it to work fill up the tank. If you dont then siphon it out. Don at OMS please tell our lucky contestant what he's won!
An all expenses paid trip to the local NAPA Store!

Heh heh yeah...well all joking aside. I am dealing with a fuel problem myself, which is probably why i responded to your post. Here's the thing; if yer sending unit broke off, and its rusty, there is a good chance you need a new tank. These parts are not terribly expensive but it is a pain to replace because lets face it, it can be dangerous so you gotta be extra careful. Lets say you are trying to tap the retaining ring off with 2 steel tools....an empty gas tank is full of fumes and that is what is dangerous, not the liquid gasoline in this case. One spark and you can get a quick flash and a lot of pain if yer in the wrong place. There are a lot of guys here who have done this replacement, you can probably find info under the search. You might buy some time with just a new sender but good chance you need a new tank like me! Good luck.

Yep, fuel issue for sure, it could be broken pipe in the sender or could be a ton of rust and sludge in tank , how's your filter clear or lots of rust sediment?

Either way get a new tank they are not expensive nor that bad to put in as long as you work slow and careful.

An all expenses paid trip to the local NAPA Store!
Screw NAPA they can afford to sponser race cars

I nave nornal bills to pay

sending unit is 25.00 shipping - can ship today

Hope it worked out for you, just saw this thread and wanted to add this comment since I did this change out earlier in the year.

Use a brass punch and a brass or plastic hammer. It isn't a hard job and if you lift the driver side of the car you can shift a few gallons over and not need to get the gas level too low.

Back