Looking for a good place to have my distributor rebuilt/tuned

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug The Dog

I'm back!
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible, 351CJ, 5 Speed. Currently being restored. Projected finish date is some day.....
I have a Motorcraft dual point distributor, P/N D2ZF-12127-EA that is in good condition, but I want to have it gone through and set up for my engine. There is a place in western Washington, but I can't remember the name of it. I thought about converting to electronic ignition, but I want to stay original. Any suggestions????

I think NAPA sells one. Full reman.
They want a core - I would keep yours if it is original and just put a pertronix set up in it. Cheap, easiy, and works great.

- Paul of Mo

I have a Motorcraft dual point distributor, P/N D2ZF-12127-EA that is in good condition, but I want to have it gone through and set up for my engine. There is a place in western Washington, but I can't remember the name of it. I thought about converting to electronic ignition, but I want to stay original. Any suggestions????
I didn't realize that they were still using dual point in 73. My car came with single point.

Travis, was it in Bremerton? I'll be heading that way soon and can check it out for you.

-john (-jbojo)

I didn't realize that they were still using dual point in 73. My car came with single point.

Travis, was it in Bremerton? I'll be heading that way soon and can check it out for you.

-john (-jbojo)
John:

It's actually out of a 72. I got my drivetrain from a totaled out 72 Q code convertible. I think it was in Tacoma or Olympia. Someone on this forum used them and had good things to say about them. I guess the guy there is in the know. He wants to know what engine, trans, gear ratio and tire size to set it up correctly. Less than 200 bucks too. I had the website one night and forgot to save it. I'm really kicking myself in the behind right now.....

-Travis

I found it! It's called Re in "Car" nation High Performance! They're in Tacoma. Looks like a phone call is in order! (Thank God for Google!)

http://reincarnation-automotive.com/home

Last edited by a moderator:
Crane, Pertronix... make (used to make?) conversion kits that drop in the stock distributor, which gives you the best of both worlds- electronic ignition and factory look. Depending on the model they might have things like cranking retard (decreases the load on the starter by retarding the timing below a certine rpm to turn the engine faster/start easier...). With these setups existing I don't see any reason to keep the stock points setup _unless_ it's a super rare car that never gets driven (and if it's super rare and gets driven, convert it and convert it back if you want to sell it, it only takes a few minutes)

here, if you have a distributor PN look it up here:

http://www.pertronix.com/support/ignitor-kit/default.aspx

-john (-jbojo)
John:

It's actually out of a 72. I got my drivetrain from a totaled out 72 Q code convertible. I think it was in Tacoma or Olympia. Someone on this forum used them and had good things to say about them. I guess the guy there is in the know. He wants to know what engine, trans, gear ratio and tire size to set it up correctly. Less than 200 bucks too. I had the website one night and forgot to save it. I'm really kicking myself in the behind right now.....

-Travis

I found it! It's called Re in "Car" nation High Performance! They're in Tacoma. Looks like a phone call is in order! (Thank God for Google!)

http://reincarnation-automotive.com/home
Glad you found it.

I'm going to look in to the PerTronix conversion. I was just reading some good things about it. Certainly sounds more reliable than points.

I bought a rebuilt Duraspark dizzy from ReInCarNation... I'm happy with it, and the guy (I think his name was Chris) who answered the phone sounded like he really knew what he was talking about. He asked me all kinds of questions about my powertain, so he could tune the dizzy for best performance.

Here is some information on the guy I sent my 67 390 distributor too a couple of years ago. He refurbished it and set it to factory specs for my application. I also had him install the pertronix while he had it there. I have had no problems with it since I received it back and I was happy with his work. He is in California.

Distributor Dynamics is a custom distributor rebuilder that specializes in 1960 thru 1972 Ford distributors. I custom rebuild, blueprint, and curve your distributor to Ford specifications on your particular application. We may also be able to supply a particular distributor on request. Call and talk to me if you have a question or problems. Thanks for your interest.

Chuck Barbero

530-675-2522

GO ELECTRONIC!!!!

Unless you never drive. I tried to stay original, but the points these days are garbage....and $$$$, I am thinking like $12 but the time required to change them out.

If you are not a daily driver, you might be okay. But when you put 1200 miles a month on your car, you could be was swapping them out every 2 months...unless you like crappy acceleration, bad idle and crummy fuel mileage when compared to new. (Yeah, I know people will say I didn't set them up right, my distributor was wacked, blah blah blah. But, one little Pertronix module and 40k miles convinced me to step up to the 20th Century.)

Now...setting up your vacuum advance and mechanical advance, that is a whole different can of worms.

Anyone know where you can buy a can of worms? Are they dead or alive?

Put your dual point in a box and save it.

Have reincarnation recurve a rebuilt duraspark dizzy for you. He will change bushings and change the mechanical and vacuum advance curves for you.

When you get the new dizzy, add cam lube to the distributor gear. Drop it in, bump the starter and make sure it is not binding when you tighten down the hold down bolt.

Add a NOS duraspark coil directly to the plus side of your engine wiring. Don't use an aftermarket coil, don't bypass the built in resister wire.

Set timing to 10 dgrees before TDC and test drive the car up some hills to make sure you aren't getting more than just a slight pinging under load.

Do anything less and you will need to keep the phone number of your local towing company in your phone.

Your welcome.

Put your dual point in a box and save it.

Have reincarnation recurve a rebuilt duraspark dizzy for you. He will change bushings and change the mechanical and vacuum advance curves for you.

When you get the new dizzy, add cam lube to the distributor gear. Drop it in, bump the starter and make sure it is not binding when you tighten down the hold down bolt.

Add a NOS duraspark coil directly to the plus side of your engine wiring. Don't use an aftermarket coil, don't bypass the built in resister wire.

Set timing to 10 dgrees before TDC and test drive the car up some hills to make sure you aren't getting more than just a slight pinging under load.

Do anything less and you will need to keep the phone number of your local towing company in your phone.

Your welcome.
I spoke to Scott at Re-incarnation today. He said the same thing. Put the old distributor away and he'll build me a new one. I sent him all the specs on my drive train tonight. We'll see what he comes up with.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

-Travis (AKA Doug The Dog)

Back