IA Rider's 73 Mach Project

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mach I
I spent the morning yesterday taking parts off of parts cars then I got phone call the sheet metal I ordered came in. Now I can start planning my strategy. This my first project of this magnitude so feel free to offer advice.

Sheet metal.jpg

Just take your time and don't burn yourself out on it. Look at it as a series of mini projects and just knock them off a bit at time, you will get there eventually;)

Just take your time and don't burn yourself out on it. Look at it as a series of mini projects and just knock them off a bit at time, you will get there eventually;)
+1 tackle one project at a time. You don't want to have too much going on and feel "in over your head".

i see floorpans, trunk pan, and even some frame rails there. ouch. That's quite a bit of work ahead hower i have done all before except it was on a 65.

Best advice I can give is measure twice, then measure twice again, and cut just enough off to overlap you factory metal, then measure twice again and cut a little bit at a time.

I spent the morning yesterday taking parts off of parts cars then I got phone call the sheet metal I ordered came in. Now I can start planning my strategy. This my first project of this magnitude so feel free to offer advice.
Strip car to a roller..send out media blast..epoxy prime..then your ready to start..Build a jig to rest the car on ..build jigs to mark hold frame rail locations etc..remove rear body panel trunk floor..replace one frame rail at a time..rear crossmember...then trunk floor....then the floor pans one side at a time..025 easy grind wire for the mig welder..

Thank you all for the good advice. The car is stripped down to a roller. I will look into media blasting and epoxy primer that will be the next step in this project. About how much does it cost for media blasting? The car has a lot of thick bondo should I remove it before blasting? My spare time to work on the car will be limited over the next few months so progress will be slow.

I know around me they have Mobile Media Blasters, they will come to you.

I had them come to my house and used a soda Blaster on my boat to remove the layers of bottom paint, and they also do cars and anything that needs to get striped, and it wasn't expensive. at all. Just a thought.

A friend of mine runs a restoration shop. I bought all the new sheet metal from him. Shipping was reasonable. I did have to wait abought 6 weeks for everything to ship together. I will pm you link to his website. I need to talk to him about media blasting and priming my car.

Let me know what he says about media blasting and priming. He's about 70 miles away. Debating on doing it myself, 90 percent of people I've talked to say DON'T do it yourself. I think trying to find a trailer, loading it on the trailer and to the blaster, and then back home and off the trailer wouldn't be much fun either.

I called today and he told me to bring it over as soon as I can. They will try to get right on it. They just purchased a new blaster and want to test it out. The price is reasonable. I hope to get to him by the weekend.

I called today and he told me to bring it over as soon as I can. They will try to get right on it. They just purchased a new blaster and want to test it out. The price is reasonable. I hope to get to him by the weekend.
Did you ever get your car media blasted? How'd it turn out?

I have not gotten it blasted yet. I have been working to much overtime and during the winter months I spend a lot of time snowmobiling. I finally got back on the project yesterday stripping off the fuel and brake lines. Still have a lot of bondo to remove before I take it to the blaster. I will be talking to the blaster today. He got me a t5 transmission for my 83 GT. I plan to pick it up today. The 83 is my summertime daily driver. If things go well by the end of may it will be blasted and primed.

Back