71 steed

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach1
Here's what I started with:

4tvehh.jpg

15von5.jpg

2uesllu.jpg

Had to have frame pulled...about $800. Lesson....find 2 fixed points in the engine compartment and measure diagonally!! It was off a good inch!

vfi4is.jpg

After

2qb88it.jpg

After!

Now

e96lu0.jpg

20a55lf.jpg

2ugnedh.jpg

9zsjdd.jpg

Here's the welder and plasma cutter. Picked up a hood from pull-a-part to practice on since I have no idea what I'm doing yet!

So far I'll need to do both quarters, tail light panel, radiator support, one rear floor pan. The scarey part is the trunk floor with the folding seat braces welded to it. That just doesn't look like it's gonna be easy. Not looking to make a show car, but I want it nice!

Go to my profile for more pics!

ixw3fr.jpg

Thanks for sharing, always nice to see another 71-73 being put back on the road, so many of them have been scrapped and they're not making more of them.

Jim

I could use some advice on what to do with the trunk floor. I have the fold down rear seat and it is welded to the trunk floor. I'm guessing that those brackets welded to the floor are not easy to get off or find if I damage them. The upper half of the trunk looks okay. The part near the tail lights has a hole. Should i try to patch it or replace the whole trunk.

Second question is whats the best sequence of attack (what to do in what order).

The big stuff list is: Both quarters, tail light panel, radiator support, one floor pan, trunk floor

Thanks in advance!

I just got done doing most of the stuff you are talking about and have documented it in a lot of pictures in the order i did them in. I cut 1 small hole in each corner of the quarters to make the trunk access easier, then did the trunk, then one quarter at a time, and finally the floor work. Take each area in small sections and it will become less overwhelming. The rear seat brackets were not bad to get off with a air chisel and drilling out the spot welds honestly. But you can look at my build pictures in the link and possibly cut the trunk floor area right in front of the gas tank front mount. You then wouldn't need to mess with the seat brackets. Honestly the only reason i cut out my brackets was my tail panel was good so it was easier to put the trunk in the car through the interior then cut out the tail panel. Good luck on the job.

72 build pics

I could use some advice on what to do with the trunk floor. I have the fold down rear seat and it is welded to the trunk floor. I'm guessing that those brackets welded to the floor are not easy to get off or find if I damage them. The upper half of the trunk looks okay. The part near the tail lights has a hole. Should i try to patch it or replace the whole trunk.

Second question is whats the best sequence of attack (what to do in what order).

The big stuff list is: Both quarters, tail light panel, radiator support, one floor pan, trunk floor

Thanks in advance!

I just got done doing most of the stuff you are talking about and have documented it in a lot of pictures in the order i did them in. I cut 1 small hole in each corner of the quarters to make the trunk access easier, then did the trunk, then one quarter at a time, and finally the floor work. Take each area in small sections and it will become less overwhelming. The rear seat brackets were not bad to get off with a air chisel and drilling out the spot welds honestly. But you can look at my build pictures in the link and possibly cut the trunk floor area right in front of the gas tank front mount. You then wouldn't need to mess with the seat brackets. Honestly the only reason i cut out my brackets was my tail panel was good so it was easier to put the trunk in the car through the interior then cut out the tail panel. Good luck on the job.

72 build pics

Thanks in advance!

Thanks for the link to your photos. They are a great help! I'm gonna take a better look at the trunk. Maybe i can replace part of it like you were talking about. My tail light panel is shot, so i can get the trunk panel in thru there. May have to invest in some air tools like you mentioned. Thanks for the advice.

Fired up the plasma cutter yesterday and heard air leaking. Checked the lines and its coming from inside the unit. Will be calling Sears this afternoon. Have had this thing over 90 days so we'll see what they say. Cross your fingers!

72 build pics

Thanks in advance!

Got the plasma cutter going and picked up some air tools finally! Starting this weekend. Just wanted to send a note to say your trunk photos are just what I needed! I can see what's under there and where to cut!

First time with plasma cutter and air tools! Almost cut the right corner off the trunk area. That was a close one! Gonna finish getting the taillight panel off and then the trunk floor. That's the plan anyway. Anyone got an idea how to get that last part of the trunk corner separated from the couple of inches left from the tail light panel?

Thanks!

IMG_2651.JPG

IMG_2649.JPG

IMG_2650.JPG

IMG_2661.JPG

IMG_2659.JPG

IMG_2660.JPG

Back