NOS Parts

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 M-code Grande
Is being obsessed with finding/buying NOS parts normal behavior?

Also buy Concours correct parts although this car will never be a Concours restoration. NOS parts are significantly more expensive

than repros as are Concours parts.

Is it worth it?

mike

Sometimes if you get a good deal...I will take original parts over repro's if i can get them at a decent price....As we read on here...Original stuff usualy fits better..And plus we know they don't make it anymore..Supply of NOS parts will dwindle down till none is left...But 4,000 dollar NOS door pannels "nice as they look" not worth it unless you going to be runing concours mustang shows.

Worth it as long as that is what you want to buy. I wish I had thought to buy some stuff when i was younger from the local dealers. I know that one had two Ram Air Hoods in the late 80's early 90's but I was in high school and had no job.

If YOU feel satisfied and it adds to your pride of ownership, go for it. I have gone primarily NOS with many Mustangs I have owned over the last 12 years. My take on it is: if the part is only available via Japanese or other poor reproduction, by all means seek NOS Ford. If there are some great Scott Drake or Marti Auto parts produced, I don't know that spending 3 or 4 times the NOS amount is worth it as those parts are very good quality. For instance, I just bought the Marti Autoworks concours correct battery cables from NPD. Can't find those ANYWHERE NOS or even original, so they are a great deal; they look great and they are concours approved if you have your car judged. I can't tell you how many times I have bought NOS parts from say, JD over at All Classic Motors (like $500 for a NOS Bendix 67 master cylinder), then sold the car and the new owner could care less and it really didn't effect the value/price of the Mustang in the end. But a NOS or mint original 71-73 deluxe cluster bezel for $250 might be worth it as the repros are not great quality. Etc. See? So I say if there are quality, concours approved options, think about those. But it sure is fun finding and installing real Ford parts, for sure!

Can't find those ANYWHERE NOS or even original, so they are a great deal; they look great and they are concours approved if you have your car judged.
There's no such thing as concours approved anymore. MCA started that in the late 90's and dropped it because vendors reduced their quality after approval.

Well I love seeing NOS parts. Until I see the price :(

On eBay last night saw black/wood grain NOS deluxe door panels. They looked fabulous but the guy was asking like $2,500 for them. Wow.

Is being obsessed with finding/buying NOS parts normal behavior?
What is the definition of normal...these days.

I buy NOS parts because they are typically far superior to REPRO parts.

Fit and finish were much better because the parts were made in the millions and the capital cost to produce a better fit and finish was spread over those millions of parts.

That being said, is $2k for a BOSS 351 Holley carb worth it when you can get a new one for $400? Depends on the size of your wallet.

Back