Shifter lever replacement

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes. If you are just removing the shifter lever on a C6. You can unbolt the shift lever with the shifter housing in the car. It is sort of pressed onto the external shaft for the linkage. With the nut removed, a little gentle prying will get it off.

If you need to remove the shifter as a unit, it is easier to at least jack the car up to remove the shift linkage underneath. I just pulled my shifter today so I am currently very familiar with the process. I would recommend pulling the entire shifter. It was easy to remove the lever sitting at the workbench. I did have to go at the bolt from front and rear. There are two nylon bushings that you might as well replace if you are going to the trouble of replacing the shift lever.

The FMX may be different because the neutral safety switch in in the shifter along with the lever. No experience with that one.

Yes. If you are just removing the shifter lever on a C6. You can unbolt the shift lever with the shifter housing in the car. It is sort of pressed onto the external shaft for the linkage. With the nut removed, a little gentle prying will get it off.

If you need to remove the shifter as a unit, it is easier to at least jack the car up to remove the shift linkage underneath. I just pulled my shifter today so I am currently very familiar with the process. I would recommend pulling the entire shifter. It was easy to remove the lever sitting at the workbench. I did have to go at the bolt from front and rear. There are two nylon bushings that you might as well replace if you are going to the trouble of replacing the shift lever.

The FMX may be different because the neutral safety switch in in the shifter along with the lever. No experience with that one.
While I don't know for a fact it should be a C4 and I'm just looking to remove and replace the shifter lever.

There is a rubber plug, that is on the passenger side of the "cup" that the shifter sits in. It's a LOT easier to get to, with the whole thing out of the car. Can it be done? Probably. Do you not have a floor jack or a pair of ramps? If you have a decent curb at your house, and feel safe, you might get enough clearance parking with the right front tire on the curb. And you absolutely want to replace the bushings while you have the shifter apart! They are why shifters feel "sloppy"...

And, don't forget to mark your shift rod/bolt location under the car, to make it easier to line everything back up.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a rubber plug, that is on the passenger side of the "cup" that the shifter sits in. It's a LOT easier to get to, with the whole thing out of the car. Can it be done? Probably. Do you not have a floor jack or a pair of ramps? If you have a decent curb at your house, and feel safe, you might get enough clearance parking with the right front tire on the curb. And you absolutely want to replace the bushings while you have the shifter apart! They are why shifters feel "sloppy"...

And, don't forget to mark your shift rod/bolt location under the car, to make it easier to line everything back up.
The shifter doesn't feel sloppy. I just wanted to change the shifter lever and handle as it's scratched and pitted.

Unfort, no floor jack or ramps.

I realize it's a different car, but when I changed my shifter in my 89 stang to a hurst lever it was all done within the car.

The shifter doesn't feel sloppy. I just wanted to change the shifter lever and handle as it's scratched and pitted.

I realize it's a different car, but when I changed my shifter in my 89 stang to a hurst lever it was all done within the car.
You have to access the underside of the shifter to get to the plugged access hole - you might be able to lift it into the car to get to the hole but that is going to be a challange.

As others have said it really needs to come out

You may have better luck removing the rod off the trans as it is just pinned on there - but the exhaust is usually in the way - you can slide the shifter and rod out together.

It would probably be well worth it to pick up a cheap floor jack and jack stands - would be much easier and safe too.

You have to access the underside of the shifter to get to the plugged access hole - you might be able to lift it into the car to get to the hole but that is going to be a challange.

As others have said it really needs to come out

You may have better luck removing the rod off the trans as it is just pinned on there - but the exhaust is usually in the way - you can slide the shifter and rod out together.

It would probably be well worth it to pick up a cheap floor jack and jack stands - would be much easier and safe too.
Well since it's not sloppy and I'm not allowed to work on the car in my driveway (floor jack/ramps) as per HOA, I think I'm just going to swap out the shifter bezel and get a new handle.

Thanks for the insight here.

Stupid HOA's....You could get it done in an hour or so to get it in and out...Not a time consuming job, just hard to get at...
HMMM?? Thinking instead of a chrome T handle I thougt if I could find one in wood to match the center dash and door panels, but can't find it for the mustang. Did see one for a cougar with a cougar emblem on it.

Anyone know where I can find it?

Thanks

All these folks are right, it can be done without a lift but it would be a huge pain if you use jack stands and ramps. Otherwise, it's impossible. Anyway, I recommend the delux shifter handle over the stock one. I put this in my 72 and it's pretty nice. It has a nice forward slope that meets the contours of your hand. See the link below and my attached pic.

https://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=7213BLK+01

KR

Shifter Only.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
All these folks are right, it can be done without a lift but it would be a huge pain if you use jack stands and ramps. Otherwise, it's impossible. Anyway, I recommend the delux shifter handle over the stock one. I put this in my 72 and it's pretty nice. It has a nice forward slope that meets the contours of your hand. See the link below and my attached pic.

https://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=7213BLK+01

KR
I was looking at that one also, but really wanted one to match the wood grain on the center dash and door panels.

But I'll prob end up buying the black leather one.

I checked today - no part number on the bulb. However, is does have two pins on the side near the bottom that are diametrically opposed and on the same plane. By the way, the bushings for the shifter came today and it feels like a whole new unit.

Back