Painting aluminum radiators yes or no

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mach1000

Reaction score
My Car
1966 convertible
1971 Mach 1
1971 Cougar XR7
1967 F250 Camper Special
So whats the consensus out there on painting aluminum radiators? Does it change the heat transfer properties that much that they shouldn't be painted? I'm talking one or two coats with a can of black spray bomb so the radiator doesn't stand out. Stealth like...

Use only paint that has been formulated for radiators. Eastwood is one outfit that sells quality radiator paint. If you use off the shelf generic enamel you'll clog up the heat transfer.

There's been a few discussions on it in the past.

I'd like to put this in my 72 http://www.championradiators.com/ford-mustang-v8-radiator-71-73 The site says they will sell it polished as well. The billet parts and the nice welds make me think i wouldn't want to paint it. Would rather show it off. Though, I know alum gets that white oxidation when it is raw. I didnt speak to the company so i dont know if they do any kinda clearcoat on it. maybe they will speak with you and tell you if they put any coatings on their products? and if it affects cooling performance? surprising how cheap the 3 row is. $200 bucks and it has the trans cooler as well? That is amazing IF it fits properly and accepts the factory shroud!

WWhite,

I got a radiator for my 70 coupe from these folks. The 1st one I got leaked but bolted up without issue. The fan shroud on my stock, original radiator didn't fit though. It was close and I could contort it, but close doesn't work for me when talking about spinning metal fan blades and plastic.

Anyway, the replacement came in and she bolted right up. Again, this was for a 70 model but their specs are all the same.

Personal preference: I have aluminum radiators in my 70 & 72 and I love them. Neither car gets over 195 degrees in the hottest summer months so they are doing their job much better than the black copper originals. While they don't look stock, I gave up on stock long ago when I realized I wasn't going for a $30K concours restoration and reliability of stuff like 100A alternators, dizzies, etc are more important.

Ken

i take the same view for reliability on my car. Sounds like they decided to make it right, which is nice to hear! Is there any kind of coating on the alum to keep it shining and free from getting oxidation ?

i take the same view for reliability on my car. Sounds like they decided to make it right, which is nice to hear! Is there any kind of coating on the alum to keep it shining and free from getting oxidation ?
I haven't had any issues so far but I've only had them in for less than a year on both cars. Check out my most recent post (reference moving to VA) to see how one of my radiators looks. That one was a custom job though since 289s have different inlet/outlet sides than 302s.

Last edited by a moderator:
that is a beefy looking radiator. definitely looks like a custom job. I am guessing that if mach1000 wanted more stealth look, just painting the side tanks and top rail in the factory black would look great and not affect performance of the fins.

I did buy a Champion rad off ebay. Real nice product and very inexpensive. My brother also has one in his 71 stang and I have one in my 71 Cougar. Work great with no issues. Going on 10 years too with mine. I never painted them though and they do get oxidized some. Just was wondering on the paint topic. Thanks everyone!

when i put in the alum edelbrock intake i toyed with the idea of painting it blue since i have kept the original air cleaner. the original look is always preferable. but by the time i put in the edelbrock waterpump, new oem looking alt, the Ansen alum valve covers and then the CHI heads i just figured its mostly aftermarket performance so why bother painting anything? because my paint is weak i havent put it in any shows but when i was at a shop and popped the hood another customer came over and said "whoa! yeah didnt sound stock when you pulled in" so i felt a little pride and decided to just leave the alum stuff the way it is. i figure i'll put in the alum radiator because it works better, and leave it shiny because i'm so far past original under the hood. otherwise the car looks bone stock with the hood closed. just a comment on where my personal ride is. everybody's different!

So whats the consensus out there on painting aluminum radiators? Does it change the heat transfer properties that much that they shouldn't be painted? I'm talking one or two coats with a can of black spray bomb so the radiator doesn't stand out. Stealth like...
I've had an aluminum radiator for a while now (universal Jegs) I planned to paint the front of the core to "hide" it from the front of the car. It really doesn't show behind the grille with the radiator being mounted so far back.

ex_q80_w640_h360_images_eGallery_2013motorstatechallengesaturdayautocross_08_02_13_10_44_IMG-3...jpg

I was fortunate enough to do testing with a BLACK PAINTED RADIATOR, painted at the factory, and a brand new unpainted radiator. I invite you to do the same:

1. Filled them both to capacity with boiling water.

2. Cap them.

3. Took a fan and blow it through the radiators while they were sitting in the shade.

4. Measure the time it takes to get them to ambient temperature.

For me there was no difference. They both got down to ambient temperature (78F) in like 20 minutes. I thought that was pretty fast.

I have concluded the radiators are painted black to hide them from view and the affect on dissipating heat is minimal.

Of course, I wouldn't even know where to begin in how to paint my radiators.

Back