'71 with Factory Cruise Control

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Conv; 1 of 17; 351C, 2V, Auto
Anyone out there have factory cruise control on their 71?

I think mine is factory but just not sure. I couldn't find any info in the manuals. Mine has a chain attached to the throttle linkage which is connected to some kind of servo-switch by my steering column. Ths mechanism is just hanging there and wanted to put it back to where it belonged. Any pictures or info would help.

See link below for servo pics.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-what-is-this

100_1918.jpg

Anyone out there have factory cruise control on their 71?

I think mine is factory but just not sure. I couldn't find any info in the manuals. Mine has a chain attached to the throttle linkage which is connected to some kind of servo-switch by my steering column. Ths mechanism is just hanging there and wanted to put it back to where it belonged. Any pictures or info would help.

See link below for servo pics.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-what-is-this
I read your link.I agree with Hemi,I think it is an aftermarket add on.

When I worked in the auto parts stores in the 70's after market cruise controls were pretty popular.I used to sell parts to places like Eaton Auto,Penny's ,Sears etc...they sold alot of those units.

Have you checked the 71 Ford shop manuals? I think I have one at home.

The only early Mustang that I have ever seen with a factory cruise control was a 67 GT convertable.Very rare indeed.

Let us know if you find any differant.

1973 Ford.jpg

I have the same 'servo-looking' thingie on my carb (well, before I took it all apart, that is). My pal told me it was a factory idle control servo - basically, like an early Idle Air Control Valve seen on modern cars. I'm a believer because I don't have any cruise control controls anywhere on the car.

The chain may say cruise control... but the 'servo-looking' thingie says IACV to me.

Anybody? Tell me I'm wrong if so - I'm good with that. :cool:

I have the same 'servo-looking' thingie on my carb (well, before I took it all apart, that is). My pal told me it was a factory idle control servo - basically, like an early Idle Air Control Valve seen on modern cars. I'm a believer because I don't have any cruise control controls anywhere on the car.

The chain may say cruise control... but the 'servo-looking' thingie says IACV to me.

Anybody? Tell me I'm wrong if so - I'm good with that. :cool:
You are right. The soleniod is called a"fast idle" solenoid.You got that on cars with AC.When you turned your AC on it would kick your idle up a few hundered RPM to compensate for the extra load.

1973_Ford-12.JPG

Interesting. My didn't come with factory A/C either - wonder why mine one installed.

Back