Austin Vert's Sidestripe Question.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible
Hi To all,

It was always my intention to do my '73 Vert up to mimic the Mach 1 look. I'm almost there, but in conjunction with a respray upcoming, i will be wanting to apply the Mach 1 Hockey stripes down the sides of my car.

My question is to all members, could anyone reccomend a particular company that reproduces these side stripes, and makes them as close to possible to the original factory supplied ones. I ask this because i've seen a variety of suppliers over the years, and the shapes seem to be slightly differant from another.

I would be chasing a quality product, and be willing to pay for that. My research so far on the net has yeilded a couple of companies that seem like the real deal, but maybe the forum could be of help and guide me to the best product or company to deal with. Any recs are greatly appreciated.

Greg.:)

Good question. I was going to ask the same thing. I had to do the racing stripes on my last project twice because the first kit was inferior and didn't hold up. The next kit, after several recommendations, was way nicer and thicker mil.

Don at OMS has stripes that are Ford License should talk to him about them.
Yes I do and you can ask Ken about them next week when his arrive in Oh CANADA :p:p:p

Ken your stripes are going postal on Monday

If you're looking at a Mach I tribute, no hockey stripes for the 73.

This is the proper stripe for our 73's.

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=F2392+01
I believe you are correct Sir, but the Hockey stripe look is what i'm chasing.

I guess in that sense it won't be completely authentic, but that is the look i want.

Thanks,

Greg:)

Yes I do and you can ask Ken about them next week when his arrive in Oh CANADA :p:p:p

Hi Don,

Look's like i'll be doing some more business with you soon. Hope you're keeping well.

Hi Ken,

Hope you're keeping well. Would you be kind enough to let me know what you think of the Hockey stripes when you eventually get them and install them please.

Thanks to everyone for your feedback so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're looking at a Mach I tribute, no hockey stripes for the 73.

This is the proper stripe for our 73's.

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=F2392+01
I believe you are correct Sir, but the Hockey stripe look is what i'm chasing.

I guess in that sense it won't be completely authentic, but that is the look i want.

Thanks,

Hi Don,

Look's like i'll be doing some more business with you soon. Hope you're keeping well.

Hi Ken,

Hope you're keeping well. Would you be kind enough to let me know what you think of the Hockey stripes when you eventually get them and install them please.

Thanks to everyone for your feedback so far.

Don that's great.....thanks for the update!

Greg I'm doing well thanks. I'll let you know soon as I get them!

I purchased stripes that were Ford Licensed and they went on easily.

Here are a few tips:

1. use a laser line level to establish straightness

2. The decal has a peel away backing, and the front has a paper covering that is removed once the decal is set in place

3. apply blue painters masking tape to the car above the decal backing so as act as a guide for the decal before it is secured

image.jpg

Here are a few tips:

2. The decal has a peel away backing, and the front has a paper covering that is removed once the decal is set in place

3. apply blue painters masking tape to the car above the decal backing so as act as a guide for the decal before it is secured
I've done racing stripe decals where I used a soap solution, got them positioned them, then squeegeed. Did you also do that way or dry?

-Jim

Here are a few tips:

I've done racing stripe decals where I used a soap solution, got them positioned them, then squeegeed. Did you also do that way or dry?

-Jim
Definitely followed the instructions and used the recommended soapy solution!

I noticed that everyone seems to be using a kit. I was curious why you wouldn't paint them on? That's the path I'm headed down. Hope to have it taped off later tonight. :)

Thoughts?

John

I noticed that everyone seems to be using a kit. I was curious why you wouldn't paint them on? That's the path I'm headed down. Hope to have it taped off later tonight. :)

Thoughts?

John
Hi John,

Nothing to stop you from painting them on if you want to, however, not a job for the DIY or learn as you go brigade.

Reasons - You must use 3m fineline tape for primary line masking to try and get the cleanest/ sharpest edges, you must carefully and detail sand or scour the existing paint for your paint adhesion, otherwise when you pull your tape away, you may get ripped edges in places,lining up the tape work can be hard to get straight and good flow continual line work, you would need to take accurate measurements of factory stripes and gapping to reproduce the original look, otherwise the end result can look vey average.

Believe me, it's harder than it looks painting them on, but it's always an option, and done properly looks the part. I'll be buying stripes myself when the time comes for me to put them on.

Greg.:) (Pro Spraypainter)

It certainly isn't stock or "correct", but you cold always put the stripe decals on top of the base color coat, then seal them along with the paint under the clear top-coat. It has many advantages: they will obviously be exactly the right shape, they will be protected from UV rays, chips, tears and scratches and you won't ever have the annoying wax build-up along the edges of the decals.

Drawbacks? They won't look excactly stock to a know-it-all, but...who cares? Its your car, so do what you like best.

It seems like a great idea, but the biggest issue with clear coat over the stripes is if there's ever a problem with the stripes losing adhesion (or fading, cracking, and other things tape stripes can do), it'll ruin the clear coat coming off and leave the base coat underneath unprotected, and then there's an uneven surface when it's time to reclear.

Not to mention that some of the stripe material might not be compatible with different kinds of clear coat (depends on manufacturer, I suppose). I'm no expert, but I believe the reason base coat is painted with a scuffed (non-finished or shiny) surface, is so the clear coat has something to bite into... which a tape stripe surface might not allow good adhesion, or worse: the clear coat might destroy the stripe material as it 'bites' into the surface - creating cloudy, mottled, rough, or even pitted effects underneath the clear coat as it cures.

I may be totally off-base here, but those are the reasons I believe clearing tape stripes is not a good idea. Again - totally my opinion... and I may not know squat about what I'm talking about here.

Conversely, I've seen factory-built motorcycles with clear coat over stripes on the tanks (so fuel spillage doesn't ruin them), but I'm sure they use a specific striping material with compatible clear coat.

Don that's great.....thanks for the update!

Greg I'm doing well thanks. I'll let you know soon as I get them!
Whoa... wait a minute. I thought I had Don send a set of stripes back in November in trade for that center bezel I got from you. I'm confused, Man! :huh:

None of those issues you mentioned are an issue, they don't happen. Many people seal decals under clearcoat without issue.

Back