Do I have a Falcon engine???

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Ford Mustang Convertible
My engine block number and letters in my 1972 Convertible are D4DE-6015-BA. All indications are that this is from a 1974 Falcon. I didn't think they made Falcon's in The USA in 74???? By coincidence, I call myself the Road Warrior because I love the movies and that they used Falcons and Holdens in Mad Max and The Road Warrior. Did someone drop a foreign motor in my Stang at one time??? Any ideas???? We have owned the car since 81'..

More than likely it was in a Maverick. These blocks have been found in trucks and cars in the seventies. The D designation means it was a Falcon part at one time but it doesn't mean it was used exclusively in the Falcon. The 3rd letter does NOT mean that part was ONLY used on that line of car. Ford regularly used the same parts in many cars and they saw no reason to number them differently for each model. Unless, of course, there was some difference in the part for that car. As long as the same block worked for everyone, it had the same number for everyone.

The 302 was available in the Australian Falcons in 74 but they were Cleveland 302s not Windsor.

Last edited by a moderator:
I found this info on another mustang site:

The Service Part Number (D4DE 6015 BA in this case) will not tell you when the block was cast. It only tells you what decade and year the part was originally relased for service (which is not necessarily the same year it was cast, although it may be the same), what model line it was originally released for, what engineering department was responsible for it's release, what the part is, and what design level (how many minor changes it has gone through) of the part is.

D = Decade of release (1970s)

4 = Year of release (1974)

D = Model line (Falcon 1960-69, Maverick 1970-74, Granada 1975-82, LTD 1983-up)

E = Engineering department (Engine)

6015 = Engine block

BA = Design level (starts with A then B, C, D etc, then AA, AB, etc)

There is a Date Code on the block. It's in the same area as the Service Part Number. The Date Code will tell you the exact day the block was cast. It is arranged in a YMD(D) fashion and will look something like 6D23 (which would be April 23, 19x6).

Back