New Shocks Grab-A-Trak vs KYB

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mweeps

Reaction score
My Car
07 Mustang GT
First car 351 H Code 73 Mach 1 totalled in college
What is your opinion? We need new shocks on the Boss.

I have KYB's, because that's what Laurel Mountain sent along with their Master Super Suspension Kit. I have no mileage yet, so I can't speak about performance. They do look good though. ;)

I've heard nothing but good about Grab-a-Traks as well.

I did a lot of research on shocks when I was building my suspension. The Grab-a-Trak shocks are made by Monroe for Mustangs Plus. They are a gas charged shock designed for handling. They will give you a firm ride. The KYB Gas-A-Just shocks are the most popular shocks made for our style Mustangs and have been around for a long time. Once again, They are designed for handling, and will give you a firm ride. (If you have Polyurethane bushings throughout your suspension, I do not recommend the Grab-A-Track or Gas-A-Just shocks, unless you like riding on a buckboard wagon, or if you intend to drive your car on a road course. These shocks will work OK if you have standard rubber bushings). If you are looking for a more comfortable ride, and still have decent handling characteristics, I highly recommend the KYB GR-2 brand of shock. These are better than stock, and will provide a much more enjoyable ride.

I base my opinion on the hours and hours spent on line reading reviews and specs, and the conversations I have had with professional suspension builders. (I have used the Gas-A-Just shocks on my previous Mach1, and it was a tough ride).

I had the Gas-A-Just shocks on my convertible, and installed the GR-2's on it while installing my new suspension. I haven't driven it yet, but I can already tell a difference in its stance, and when pushing down on the front or rear bumper.

I did a lot of research on shocks when I was building my suspension. The Grab-a-Trak shocks are made by Monroe for Mustangs Plus. They are a gas charged shock designed for handling. They will give you a firm ride. The KYB Gas-A-Just shocks are the most popular shocks made for our style Mustangs and have been around for a long time. Once again, They are designed for handling, and will give you a firm ride. (If you have Polyurethane bushings throughout your suspension, I do not recommend the Grab-A-Track or Gas-A-Just shocks, unless you like riding on a buckboard wagon, or if you intend to drive your car on a road course. These shocks will work OK if you have standard rubber bushings). If you are looking for a more comfortable ride, and still have decent handling characteristics, I highly recommend the KYB GR-2 brand of shock. These are better than stock, and will provide a much more enjoyable ride.

I base my opinion on the hours and hours spent on line reading reviews and specs, and the conversations I have had with professional suspension builders. (I have used the Gas-A-Just shocks on my previous Mach1, and it was a tough ride).

I had the Gas-A-Just shocks on my convertible, and installed the GR-2's on it while installing my new suspension. I haven't driven it yet, but I can already tell a difference in its stance, and when pushing down on the front or rear bumper.
Hi Doug,

I completely agree with what you say. I too have tried the KYB's, and found the ride too hard for my liking. I haven't tried the GR-2's, but am currently running a shock that would be a very close spec comparison (Pedders Australia), and find a good marriage of ride comfort and handling.

Love the photo of you and Lux. Hope you had a great time catching up with eachother.

Greg.:)

Had KYB in the rear. So firm the rear jumped when driving over larger expansion cracks on hwy. could be a little acary if it was a big sweeping turn. Switched to regular monroes and more pleasant ride. I do not have a rear sway bar but the way the rear would hop at 60mph i dont think a bar would have mad a difference.

I"ve just taken off the front a pair of grab a tracks -too soft to hold up the 460 with new stock ride 429 springs , I now have KYB gas adjust & they are a whole lot stiffer ,no more headers hitting the road. I don't know if the GR 2 's might be better on a lighter car ?

Reading all of these reply's is the exact reason in recent years I have swayed towards paying the extra for single adjustables. Once I get to that point I am going to be diving into that upgrade. Should be fun once get the particulars figured out. Maximum Open and Collapsed Lengths and Mounting Info. Haven't really looked yet.

Back