1972 Sprint Coupe Cdn Edition

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool. Do you also have the other page showing all the car's options?
No not yet. The owner said he will dig it out of the files and send it to me.

Looks good from here, but what is the condition of the rest of the car?
it's a total rust bucket. The car sat in a field for several years after being driven on winter roads and has had some poorly done bodywork in the past.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks good from here, but what is the condition of the rest of the car?
it's a total rust bucket. The car sat in a field for several years after being driven on winter roads and has had some poorly done bodywork in the past.
I clicked on the pic and then zoomed in. I agree, that's one rusty car.

72 Sprint 302, 3 speed manual - with competition suspension? Different for sure.

Ford Literature actually describes this option this way:

COMPETITION SUSPENSION

The competition suspension is available on all models except

those equipped with the 250-c.i.d. engine. The option

includes heavy-duty front and rear springs, extra heavyduty

front and rear shock absorbers, extra heavy-duty front

stabilizer bar and rear stabilizer bar.

Ray

Mine is a true Canadian Sprint as far as the data plates tell me. I have yet to get a Marti report to authenticate it all BUT I can't imagine anyone wanting to factory order all that blue in a non-sprint model! None of the body panels have been re-sprayed (other than a poor fix-it job over the rear wheels) so all the blue and white is just as it was originally.

What I've done ... well I've started the hunt and gather process for all the body panels I'm going to need, did a tune up and carb rebuild (that autolite carb is going to be removed again shortly and gone thru with a fine tooth comb if I intend to keep it...I'm not comfortable with the way the lead plugs are fitting). It runs, it drives, it starts and stops. :) I wish I had the cash on hand to get it done professionally so I could skip the build part and go straight to the drive part!

Mine is a true Canadian Sprint as far as the data plates tell me. I have yet to get a Marti report to authenticate it all BUT I can't imagine anyone wanting to factory order all that blue in a non-sprint model! None of the body panels have been re-sprayed (other than a poor fix-it job over the rear wheels) so all the blue and white is just as it was originally.

What I've done ... well I've started the hunt and gather process for all the body panels I'm going to need, did a tune up and carb rebuild (that autolite carb is going to be removed again shortly and gone thru with a fine tooth comb if I intend to keep it...I'm not comfortable with the way the lead plugs are fitting). It runs, it drives, it starts and stops. :) I wish I had the cash on hand to get it done professionally so I could skip the build part and go straight to the drive part!
Hi I was getting you mixed up with another guy from Edmonton who listed his car on the Sprint Registry as a CDN Sprint. His car has a DSO from Kansas yet claims it's a CDN Sprint.

Which way are you going for body panels, NOS, used or repops?

72 Sprint 302, 3 speed manual - with competition suspension? Different for sure.

Ford Literature actually describes this option this way:

COMPETITION SUSPENSION

The competition suspension is available on all models except

those equipped with the 250-c.i.d. engine. The option

includes heavy-duty front and rear springs, extra heavyduty

front and rear shock absorbers, extra heavy-duty front

stabilizer bar and rear stabilizer bar.

Ray
Ray where were you when I was disagreeing with Sullivan about the rear sway bar being on all comp susp cars??? :p

Hey Don while we're on the subject of competetion suspension and sway bars. How hard would it be to find the HD rear sway bar and the staggered shock set up? This car had the 8" axle changed out for a 9" and IIRC the sway bar/shock set up is MIA.
I have a couple of bars

Staggard shocks only came on 4 V cars

Thanks Don and good to know. If I get this car I think a road trip down to the state that is round at both ends and high in the middle :D will be on the adgenda to get a ship load of parts.

P.S. I would like to have a phone conversation with you some time regarding repop panels. Let me know if that would be cool and when a good time would be.

Hi I was getting you mixed up with another guy from Edmonton who listed his car on the Sprint Registry as a CDN Sprint. His car has a DSO from Kansas yet claims it's a CDN Sprint.

Which way are you going for body panels, NOS, used or repops?

I'll be getting panels as they appear. If I can find affordable NOS here then I'll definitely be going that way. Used ... well my body work skills are limited and I don't think I want to try my hand at fixing used panels so that I can attach them. In the end I'll probably get repops ... with the exception of the hood and possibly fenders assuming I can find rust free ones running around.

David ( Cdn Sprint) I've been doing a lot of net research on body panels. NOS prices are just nuts. The repops don't fit that well from what I've read. The floor pan and trunk pan repops are not the correct ones but can be made to fit. Straight plain hoods and doors are not available as repops. the pricing for all the repops to do a whole car less doors and a hood run close to $5K. So I'm on the hunt for a good rust free donor shell.

I've got at least a year and half before the shop can start on the car so I should be able to find one by then.

What I'm looking for is a good rust free 72 coupe shell with a 3 speed manual trans and 8" rear axle so I can bring this car back to the way it was built. I don't need an engine or any of the interior so if anyone knows of such a car shhot me a PM.

David ( Cdn Sprint) I've been doing a lot of net research on body panels. NOS prices are just nuts. The repops don't fit that well from what I've read. The floor pan and trunk pan repops are not the correct ones but can be made to fit. Straight plain hoods and doors are not available as repops. the pricing for all the repops to do a whole car less doors and a hood run close to $5K. So I'm on the hunt for a good rust free donor shell.

I've got at least a year and half before the shop can start on the car so I should be able to find one by then.

What I'm looking for is a good rust free 72 coupe shell with a 3 speed manual trans and 8" rear axle so I can bring this car back to the way it was built. I don't need an engine or any of the interior so if anyone knows of such a car shhot me a PM.
You have some mis-infomation there

"The floor pan and trunk pan repops are not the correct ones but can be made to fit"

Both of those parts are some of the better items available

You can't do a whole 71-3 with repro parts

In addition to the doors and hood there any MANY other parts that are not available

Plain flat hoods are pretty cheap as everyone wants a nasa hood

So you are going to re-body it ?

You have some mis-infomation there

"The floor pan and trunk pan repops are not the correct ones but can be made to fit"

Both of those parts are some of the better items available

You can't do a whole 71-3 with repro parts

In addition to the doors and hood there any MANY other parts that are not available

Plain flat hoods are pretty cheap as everyone wants a nasa hood

So you are going to re-body it ?
Don I stand corrected. I have been reading so much lately I could have sworn that a few of the sites I was looking at stated that the floor & trunk pans were from an earlier year but could be cut to fit. I just looked at them now and can't find that info. Are there some other parts that are used like that?

I wasn't planning to rebody the car just use the sheet metal and swap it out to the sprint. Recently I saw a decent looking shell with a 3 speed and no motor on CL. I should have saved the ad because I don't remember what city it was in.

Back