Opinion on Carburetor

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wyostang

Reaction score
My Car
1972 notchback 351c 2v
Ok when we are talking upgrades to a 351 Cleveland for a 2 barrel carburetor. Who likes Holley and who likes Edelbrock and why?I am thinking about my upgrade and I want to hear some opinions.

Thanks!

On my 351C-2V I have an Edelbrock 1406 (600cfm) on an Edelbrock Performer Intake - freaken love it. Out of the box, it fired right up without any adjustments whatsoever.

Edelbrocks have less potential to develop leaks over time, because there is only one gasket - between the top cover and the rest of the one-piece body. Holleys - each of the 'bowl' assemblies bolt-onto the sides of the main chassis, which can embrittle and will leak fuel at some point.

I personally have almost zero experience with Holleys - all of my performance carbs have been Edelbrocks.

It's all about preference... and I prefer the simple and effective nature of Edelbrocks.

Like them both and used both....But Edelbrock a little more bolt on and go freindly and priced great....I have heard good and bad stories out of every carb made..lol..Holley 600 CFM Four Barrel Street Carburetor well priced too at 280...I dont think you can lose with either..lol

Last edited by a moderator:
On my 351C-2V I have an Edelbrock 1406 (600cfm) on an Edelbrock Performer Intake - freaken love it. Out of the box, it fired right up without any adjustments whatsoever.

Edelbrocks have less potential to develop leaks over time, because there is only one gasket - between the top cover and the rest of the one-piece body. Holleys - each of the 'bowl' assemblies bolt-onto the sides of the main chassis, which can embrittle and will leak fuel at some point.

I personally have almost zero experience with Holleys - all of my performance carbs have been Edelbrocks.

It's all about preference... and I prefer the simple and effective nature of Edelbrocks.
I am going with the same setup. It was explained to me that their both good carbs but the Edelbrock requires less adjusting over time.

What they said the Edelbrock is a much more simple design for bolt on and go. But it also doesn't offer as much ability to tune as many Holley models do. I currently have a Holley 650 on mine. But am seriously considering switching to a Edelbock Endurashine 750 after the new motor goes in.

I've had both and have had good experiences with both, but I prefer the Holley for higher performance usage as it is more flexible in the range of adjustments. The Edelbrock is a nicely updated Carter AFB and is easier to make changes to, but once you have torn apart a few, it doesn't really make much difference.

My experiences are edelbrock, pros: bolt on out of the box. No leaking. Don't need to mess with it 24/7 just bolt on and go.

Cons: can't tune them really, I Always had problems opening the secondaries, not really a performance carb. Just a good factory replacment.

Holly, pros: you can play with every little thing in them. Felt tons more power with mine gained half a second switching from a 650 edelbrock to a 750 double pumper.

Cons: if you don't know carburetors better learn quick! They require tuning every so often, they run ok out of the box but with some tweaking they run even better!!

I'm not a fanboy of any one particular brand. I was running the original 4300 on the 71m code 4speed but it bogged down. I replaced with a new Edlebrock 600 cfm and it did ok. For the fun of it I bought a factory refurbished Holley Street Avenger 670, bolted it on straight from the box and it felt like much more power. No other changes were made to the car. I really like this carb and will put these on the other cars as I get them built.

I went from an origional (rebuilt) Motorcraft 4300 to an Edelbroch Performer 750 couldn't be happier.

It felt like it picked up about 40hp and drivability much improved, so I disagree with the comment about low performance. I was thinking EFI was the answer,,,, until I got the new Edel carb.

It's been running great for about 5 years now, no leaks, no rebuilds, no bogging, no starting problems, no fuss on Calif 10% ethanol pump gas.

Last edited by a moderator:
I went with an Edelbrock Performer intake and 1403 (500 cfm) Edelbrock 4BBL Carb. I have a 289 so I didn't need a 600 cfm carb. It's an obvious improvement over the Autolite 2100. I'm happy with the product so I would recommend it. My gas mileage is horrid though, but I'm guessing there's more to it than the carb.

I was not concerned about the complexity of tuning the carb, it's just part of life owning an older car but I chose the Edelbrock after a few weeks of research. There are plenty of fans of Holley out there, but it just seems more folks preferred the Edelbrock.

I would recommend looking into a fuel pressure regulator (I got a Holley) for about $60 with fittings and ensure you are not getting a carb that is too big.

Back