Complete Wiring harness recommendation

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Restomodded 71' coupe
4-linked rear, 351C Boss,4-spd, '04 Cobra brakes, upgraded front suspension, Cobra seats
Hey guys,

i want to replace the wiring harness of the entire car.. i think its seen better days after 40+ years of service., there was a lot of cut wires before i got the car. , i did some work on it, like put a newer style fusebox in it,, that has its place in the glovebox now, but i want the glove box back to put some stuff in. so i want to replace it all,.

any recommendations? Painless? Ron Francis or maybe Summits own make?

the difficulty isn't a problem, im a trained electrician,. just 1 thats to lazy to fab a wiring harness of my own :D

hope to hear some reviews..

im sure Midlife does an awesome job, i read nothing but good things about him/ his work,.. but i want to get rid of the stock style fusebox, and i have added a few options over the years,

like halogen front lights with the relais to get the load of the stock light switch, electric fuel pump, power windows, more gauges in the dash, electric fans, complete msd ignition setup . so going back to a stock style harness isn't really an option..

I have used Painless, and Frances kits and in my opinion the wires are undersized to allow use of multiple relays which I am not a fan of due to them kicking out so much. However, any harness can be altered to meet your demands, including a factory setup from Midlife

im sure Midlife does an awesome job, i read nothing but good things about him/ his work,.. but i want to get rid of the stock style fusebox, and i have added a few options over the years,

like halogen front lights with the relais to get the load of the stock light switch, electric fuel pump, power windows, more gauges in the dash, electric fans, complete msd ignition setup . so going back to a stock style harness isn't really an option..
Hey Ben,

Definately check Midlife out for all options. Also,if you don't mind me asking, what brand or way did you go for your electric windows installation? Just curious.

Greg:)

Last edited by a moderator:

I have a completely stock wiring harness in mine, but for adding options I came up with this:

960173_609010632443192_1452178145_n.jpg

374350_609010642443191_1242939182_n.jpg

OK - so the front-side of the passenger side shock tower probably isn't the best place, aesthetically... ;) It'll also look a lot better after I wrap the whole thing in 3M Di-Noc carbon fiber vinyl.

Basically, it's 2 6-circuit fuse blocks, a relay, and a Plano bait-box - less than $45 total investment. I ran a line from the positive battery cable into the fuse block on the left (for constant power), a jumper to one side of the relay with a jumper from the other side of the relay to the other fuse block - the relay is operated with keyed power, which in-turn energizes the fuse block on the right (for keyed-power accessories).

This way, I can add accessories without compromising the original harness and/or fused links/fuses, and not spend a ton of money doing so.

Painless Wiring offers the same thing (but either always hot or keyed) for ONLY $200 - each. Just sayin'.

Hey Ben,

Definately check Midlife out for all options. Also,if you don't mind me asking, what brand or way did you go for your electric windows installation? Just curious.

Hey Greg, i dont mind.

i used a set of '94 Thunderbird motors,. just the motors, i took the old regulators out and put the motors in,. it did require some cutting and welding, but it was a small modification,. got the complete wiring as well, so i could use the T-bird switches, i put those in the center console

I have a completely stock wiring harness in mine, but for adding options I came up with this:

960173_609010632443192_1452178145_n.jpg

374350_609010642443191_1242939182_n.jpg

OK - so the front-side of the passenger side shock tower probably isn't the best place, aesthetically... ;) It'll also look a lot better after I wrap the whole thing in 3M Di-Noc carbon fiber vinyl.

Basically, it's 2 6-circuit fuse blocks, a relay, and a Plano bait-box - less than $45 total investment. I ran a line from the positive battery cable into the fuse block on the left (for constant power), a jumper to one side of the relay with a jumper from the other side of the relay to the other fuse block - the relay is operated with keyed power, which in-turn energizes the fuse block on the right (for keyed-power accessories).

This way, I can add accessories without compromising the original harness and/or fused links/fuses, and not spend a ton of money doing so.

Painless Wiring offers the same thing (but either always hot or keyed) for ONLY $200 - each. Just sayin'.
that looks nicely done,.. but thats another thing.. in my case theres no wiring inside the engine bay,.. everything is hidden,.. battery is in the trunk, and i want it again in that way,. so the front of the loom is also longer then stock

Ben,

Thanks for your reply and explanation on the electric windows. Looks like you've done a funky custom mod install there. Hope it works well. Have you heard of an American company called Nu Relics that specialize in power windows for classics cars.? I think they are the real deal from what i know so far. And,look Mum! no engine wiring! My first impressions of that are WOW!!!

All the best,

Ben,

Thanks for your reply and explanation on the electric windows. Looks like you've done a funky custom mod install there. Hope it works well. Have you heard of an American company called Nu Relics that specialize in power windows for classics cars.? I think they are the real deal from what i know so far. And,look Mum! no engine wiring! My first impressions of that are WOW!!!

All the best,

your welcome Greg!,

just looked on the site of Nu-Relic,.. looks like a nice product,.. and it looks very similar to what i have done to mine, the motor is in the same location as is the bolting pattern from the motor, could be that they used a motor like the one from a t-bird.. or maybe thats just a widely used type of motor..

cheers

Ben

Ben,

All the best,

your welcome Greg!,

just looked on the site of Nu-Relic,.. looks like a nice product,.. and it looks very similar to what i have done to mine, the motor is in the same location as is the bolting pattern from the motor, could be that they used a motor like the one from a t-bird.. or maybe thats just a widely used type of motor..

cheers

Ben
I believe they are using an AC Delco motors. It's mentioned on the web site if i'm not mistaken.

well, i thought about it, and im gonna make my own wiring harness,.. that way its gonna be how i want it to be., and probably for the same price.

so i have my work cut out for me,.. more in the near future..

well, i thought about it, and im gonna make my own wiring harness,.. that way its gonna be how i want it to be., and probably for the same price.

so i have my work cut out for me,.. more in the near future..
Good luck! I have 300+ harnesses in stock to make one from scratch and I wouldn't even try to make one from scratch: it'll be too frustrating when there are ready-made options out there.

yeah i know,.. but i want the wiring to be out of sight like i did with the stock wiring,.. but i have no interest in lengtening a new wiring harness because the wires are to short.., but i know what you mean

its a big job, i know.. i will update this as soon as i start on it..

I used a Painless Wiring Ford universal musclecar harness to completely redo mine. It conveniently came with a free loom kit using Techflex F6 and one of the fancy mini-blade fuse boxes. It was well worth the effort - the car's actually reliable again and everything simply works. Looks sweet.

small update, just got back from a 3 week vacation in the US, also went to Pomona and there was a guy selling wiring harnesses, and for that money ($165) i couldn't leave it, so picked 1 up , and that one is going in.

I still will have to make so changes to it because of some options i have, but once i get started , pictures will be put here :D

Cool deal. Pomona is a great place to shop for that sort of stuff. A lot of the new mechanical stuff is cheap chinese and to be watched out for, but all the electrical stuff I've got there has been first rate.

Greg

Back