Complete Wiring harness recommendation

BenD

Hey guys,

i want to replace the wiring harness of the entire car.. i think its seen better days after 40+ years of service., there was a lot of cut wires before i got the car. , i did some work on it, like put a newer style fusebox in it,, that has its place in the glovebox now, but i want the glove box back to put some stuff in. so i want to replace it all,.

any recommendations? Painless? Ron Francis or maybe Summits own make?

the difficulty isn't a problem, im a trained electrician,. just 1 thats to lazy to fab a wiring harness of my own :D

hope to hear some reviews..

'72 Mustang , well, its black???

You may want to check with one of our sponsers, Midlife. That's what he does for a living.

2rr7aiv.png

Just cruising along minding our own business when BAM!!! The LAWS show up.

im sure Midlife does an awesome job, i read nothing but good things about him/ his work,.. but i want to get rid of the stock style fusebox, and i have added a few options over the years,

like halogen front lights with the relais to get the load of the stock light switch, electric fuel pump, power windows, more gauges in the dash, electric fans, complete msd ignition setup . so going back to a stock style harness isn't really an option..

I have used Painless, and Frances kits and in my opinion the wires are undersized to allow use of multiple relays which I am not a fan of due to them kicking out so much. However, any harness can be altered to meet your demands, including a factory setup from Midlife

im sure Midlife does an awesome job, i read nothing but good things about him/ his work,.. but i want to get rid of the stock style fusebox, and i have added a few options over the years,

like halogen front lights with the relais to get the load of the stock light switch, electric fuel pump, power windows, more gauges in the dash, electric fans, complete msd ignition setup . so going back to a stock style harness isn't really an option..

Hey Ben,

Definately check Midlife out for all options. Also,if you don't mind me asking, what brand or way did you go for your electric windows installation? Just curious.

Greg:)

:whistling: LORD, MR FORD - JERRY REED

I have a completely stock wiring harness in mine, but for adding options I came up with this:

960173_609010632443192_1452178145_n.jpg

374350_609010642443191_1242939182_n.jpg

OK - so the front-side of the passenger side shock tower probably isn't the best place, aesthetically... ;) It'll also look a lot better after I wrap the whole thing in 3M Di-Noc carbon fiber vinyl.

Basically, it's 2 6-circuit fuse blocks, a relay, and a Plano bait-box - less than $45 total investment. I ran a line from the positive battery cable into the fuse block on the left (for constant power), a jumper to one side of the relay with a jumper from the other side of the relay to the other fuse block - the relay is operated with keyed power, which in-turn energizes the fuse block on the right (for keyed-power accessories).

This way, I can add accessories without compromising the original harness and/or fused links/fuses, and not spend a ton of money doing so.

Painless Wiring offers the same thing (but either always hot or keyed) for ONLY $200 - each. Just sayin'.

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

Hey Ben,

Definately check Midlife out for all options. Also,if you don't mind me asking, what brand or way did you go for your electric windows installation? Just curious.

Hey Greg, i dont mind.

i used a set of '94 Thunderbird motors,. just the motors, i took the old regulators out and put the motors in,. it did require some cutting and welding, but it was a small modification,. got the complete wiring as well, so i could use the T-bird switches, i put those in the center console

I have a completely stock wiring harness in mine, but for adding options I came up with this:

960173_609010632443192_1452178145_n.jpg

374350_609010642443191_1242939182_n.jpg

OK - so the front-side of the passenger side shock tower probably isn't the best place, aesthetically... ;) It'll also look a lot better after I wrap the whole thing in 3M Di-Noc carbon fiber vinyl.

Basically, it's 2 6-circuit fuse blocks, a relay, and a Plano bait-box - less than $45 total investment. I ran a line from the positive battery cable into the fuse block on the left (for constant power), a jumper to one side of the relay with a jumper from the other side of the relay to the other fuse block - the relay is operated with keyed power, which in-turn energizes the fuse block on the right (for keyed-power accessories).

This way, I can add accessories without compromising the original harness and/or fused links/fuses, and not spend a ton of money doing so.

Painless Wiring offers the same thing (but either always hot or keyed) for ONLY $200 - each. Just sayin'.

that looks nicely done,.. but thats another thing.. in my case theres no wiring inside the engine bay,.. everything is hidden,.. battery is in the trunk, and i want it again in that way,. so the front of the loom is also longer then stock

DSC_0771.jpg

Ben,

Thanks for your reply and explanation on the electric windows. Looks like you've done a funky custom mod install there. Hope it works well. Have you heard of an American company called Nu Relics that specialize in power windows for classics cars.? I think they are the real deal from what i know so far. And,look Mum! no engine wiring! My first impressions of that are WOW!!!

All the best,

Ben,

Thanks for your reply and explanation on the electric windows. Looks like you've done a funky custom mod install there. Hope it works well. Have you heard of an American company called Nu Relics that specialize in power windows for classics cars.? I think they are the real deal from what i know so far. And,look Mum! no engine wiring! My first impressions of that are WOW!!!

All the best,

your welcome Greg!,

just looked on the site of Nu-Relic,.. looks like a nice product,.. and it looks very similar to what i have done to mine, the motor is in the same location as is the bolting pattern from the motor, could be that they used a motor like the one from a t-bird.. or maybe thats just a widely used type of motor..

cheers

Ben

Ben,

All the best,

your welcome Greg!,

just looked on the site of Nu-Relic,.. looks like a nice product,.. and it looks very similar to what i have done to mine, the motor is in the same location as is the bolting pattern from the motor, could be that they used a motor like the one from a t-bird.. or maybe thats just a widely used type of motor..

cheers

Ben

I believe they are using an AC Delco motors. It's mentioned on the web site if i'm not mistaken.

• 2 weeks later...

well, i thought about it, and im gonna make my own wiring harness,.. that way its gonna be how i want it to be., and probably for the same price.

so i have my work cut out for me,.. more in the near future..

well, i thought about it, and im gonna make my own wiring harness,.. that way its gonna be how i want it to be., and probably for the same price.

so i have my work cut out for me,.. more in the near future..

Good luck! I have 300+ harnesses in stock to make one from scratch and I wouldn't even try to make one from scratch: it'll be too frustrating when there are ready-made options out there.

Let me check your shorts!

http://midlifeharness.com

cactus.jpg.92e5d9d8700abc0ed60c8ccb3426248e.jpg

yeah i know,.. but i want the wiring to be out of sight like i did with the stock wiring,.. but i have no interest in lengtening a new wiring harness because the wires are to short.., but i know what you mean

its a big job, i know.. i will update this as soon as i start on it..

• 2 weeks later...

I used a Painless Wiring Ford universal musclecar harness to completely redo mine. It conveniently came with a free loom kit using Techflex F6 and one of the fancy mini-blade fuse boxes. It was well worth the effort - the car's actually reliable again and everything simply works. Looks sweet.

1971 Mustang fastback: 10.3:1 C90E 408W hydroller - CDAN4 EEC-V w/EDIS8, girdled, lowered and caged

• 3 weeks later...

small update, just got back from a 3 week vacation in the US, also went to Pomona and there was a guy selling wiring harnesses, and for that money ($165) i couldn't leave it, so picked 1 up , and that one is going in.

I still will have to make so changes to it because of some options i have, but once i get started , pictures will be put here :D

Cool deal. Pomona is a great place to shop for that sort of stuff. A lot of the new mechanical stuff is cheap chinese and to be watched out for, but all the electrical stuff I've got there has been first rate.

Greg

• 5 months later...

here's the update i promised , the harness i used was a universal one that i bought in Pomona at the swap meet last November. it was a 20-circuit unit,

the fusebox now sits just beside the pedal fore the handbrake, and above the clutch pedal under the dash.

i had taken the dash itself out, makes it much more easier to work on. the dash was powdercoated gloss black while it was out.

Made some mods to the wiring harness, i have electric fans which need a separate relais for each fan. for the rest the harness was long enough only for a few wires, but thats also because i have the complete harness out of sight, the engine loom runs from the firewall ,then on the inside of the fender towards the core support, there it runs under the core support towards the right side for the headlight,markerlight, foglight, and MSD-6 and ignition, other wires for the fans went on the inside of the rigfht fender.

also added relais for the headlights,foglight,added 1 relais for the fans, added a few wires for the oil-temp, idiot-light for the alternator, and i have switches in the center-console for the fans ( so i can turn them on at my demand, there's also a temperature operated switch) a switch for the foglights and their corrosponding lights, so those needed some wiring as well.

so is it doable for the less experienced electrician amongst us,.. Yes and no, you have to know what you're doing, if 4 or more wires confuse you, then don't do it.. leave it for the proffesional

here are some pictures. this is the old situation.

DSC_0617_zps074a1d10.jpg

DSC_0616_zps413bd026.jpg

glovebox filled with fusebox and wires...

DSC_0615_zpsaa118438.jpg

everything cut out.(talk about a rats nest!!)

DSC_0619_zps4cfa2ce1.jpg

i have no pics of the harness itself, but here its starting to come together.

DSC_0653_zpsf821680f.jpg

wires for the MSD, the battery is in the trunk

DSC_0655_zps76c09d1f.jpg

DSC_0673_zps3af478e1.jpg

DSC_0670_zps543d8700.jpg

taillight/fuelpump section

DSC_0656_zps4b0f1530.jpg

fusebox

DSC_0724_zpsce140d8b.jpg

everything is now hooked up with connectors, gauges and such, so if needed i can take it out.

DSC_0726_zps94dc9ef8.jpg

DSC_0728_zpsbc7bbd02.jpg

running lights in action

DSC_0698_zps0601bd2c.jpg

everything back in place and connected

DSC_0676_zpsef105ce2.jpg

picture time!

IMG_4883_zps085ebb24.jpg

IMG_4843_zps524f25fc.jpg

IMG_4856_zps343e66b1.jpg

IMG_4858_zpscfcd4fe5.jpg

IMG_4854_zpsd5c6c337.jpg

IMG_4869_zps6408803d.jpg

That looks awesome! Very nice work!

How did you retrofit the late model Cobra brakes to your '72? Did your car come with drum spindles originally?

1971 Mustang fastback: 10.3:1 C90E 408W hydroller - CDAN4 EEC-V w/EDIS8, girdled, lowered and caged

Hey thanks!:D

no, my car was a disc brake car,.. i did this conversion 8 years ago,at that time nothing was available for these years, so i made the brackets for the calipers myself, made some wooden templates, then had those made in steel and i used '65 hubs, these place the wheels 1/2" more inward. made some spacers and bolted them on,. works perfect..

but if i had to do it now?

just contact Street or Track,. they sell brackets for 71-73 disc-spindles. :D:cool:

Looks awesome.. As for the cobra brakes, there was a company called Vintage Venom that offered the brackets to put modern (SN95) mustang brakes to the older cars..