• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

71-73 Good Condition Flat hood

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see significant rust in the underside structure of the front of the hood. Common area for it to occur.

The first indicator is the asterisk shaped hole on the top left of the photo of the underside of the hood.

Ok, like I said!!

It had some rust when I bought the car 12 + years ago, I had the hood Media Blasted, and I epoxy Primed the whole hood, then painted it.

I never repaied the old rot holes, but there is no rust on it.

The problem with rust like this is that it starts between and behind the panels and structural members. Media blasting and primer does not get to the place where the rust started and still is.

OK, I retiled the heading.

Its a very good condition hood, yes it had some rot years ago, but I didn't spend the time to cut and patch, but is has no signs of the rust coming back as it stands, I guess its one of the things you have to see in person.

as for the price which is not firm its OBO its a great hood.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was holding on to it just incase something happened to mine I has a replacement, but now its just taking up space.

and it is very solid compared to others out there.

the only issue is, No one wants a flat hood :(

I was holding on to it just incase something happened to mine I has a replacement, but now its just taking up space.

Except a sprint owner ;-)

about 8 months ago I had a Sprint owner in Mass contact me about it through CL, and we made plans to pick it up that weekend, but he called me 2 days later and decided to go with a Ram air hood :(

about 8 months ago I had a Sprint owner in Mass contact me about it through CL, and we made plans to pick it up that weekend, but he called me 2 days later and decided to go with a Ram air hood :(
Well I'm looking for a flat hood for our '71, wife wants to keep the car the way we got it. only problem is distance.

All,

That hood would need to completely dipped acid based strip tank to remove the internal rust. Unfortunately, Ford never used rust inhibitors to protect against corrosion. I believe I used Carolina Chem-Strip for my hood, fenders and doors. Once it was stripped, they can dip into a rust inhibitor.

http://chem-strip.com/

A good Body man can fix that place too.

mustang7173

yup, I need a flat hood but shipping from R.I would be more than hood.

from RI to TN would be almost $300 just shipping.

its cheaper to find one local to you, unless your desperate.

can you ship through Grayhound or Peterpan bus lines?

Back