Things you have found in car during resto

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 mustang sportsroof - 351c 2v - fmx trans.
Hello everyone, I was just curious if anyone else has found strange stuff in their car during the restoration process. I found 2 hotwheel cars from the early 80's trapped at the bottom of the drivers side fender, funny part is one is a cop car and the other a mustang fastback:p. Also found a front cover for a late 70's portable radio behind a fender and a big spool of fishing line under the dash.

Anyone else?

I found some McDonald's french fries (petrified).

Old coins.

older business cards

credit card receipt from old DX gas station

misc tools - they always fall down in that lower trunk dropoff on each side along with old cans of car wax.

Ray

Money, screwdiver, old oil change cards from the 70s....

Money, screwdiver, old oil change cards from the 70s....
Oh and about 1 million dirt (mud) dauber nests and dead carcasses. I did a video once as a under cover reporter looking at how I was disturbing the natural habitat of the East Texas dirt dauber.

Even though the car is almost finished, I keep finding more of the darn things.

Last edited by a moderator:
Old coins, and a fork under the carpet, and a couple of cigarett butts under the carpet.

I was told by my uncle that worked for ford, that the fork and the butts were from the assy line, it was a common to leave things behind.

I found a $100.00 bill under the drivers seat of my 73 vert! Oh Happy Day! :D

OK, let's see:

• Miller High Life beer bottle caps fitted over the wiper, headlight, and lighter knobs
  • lame ice scraper from the insurance company
  • lame key fob from the same insurance company
  • white 'pleather' slip-on dress shoe (like Randy Quaid wore in the 'Vacation' movies - just one)
  • scary-looking stuffed animal rabbit - seriously, could have its own campy horror movie
  • steak knife
  • plastic Colt .45 cap gun
  • can of... something (tomatoes maybe). Looked like plums and had absolutely no smell
  • old school oil can spout
  • Phillips screwdriver
  • keys to a Dodge 'something'
  • generic vinyl floor mat (just one)
  • unidentifiable 8-track tape (broken, label was missing)
  • 10 pounds of shelled pecans... kinda goes along with the squirrel and mouse poop

I know I'm forgetting something.

I think I might just have the worst thing found during a restoration. O.K. it wasn't in a car but in the underbelly of my 61 Airstream travel trailer. The trailer spent about 20 years lodged in the woods of North Carolina. During the replacement of the axles to make the trailer safe to travel home the enclosed belly needed to be opened up.

This is what fell out:

P1010325.jpg

P1010327.jpg

I'll give y'all 20 guesses as to what animal it was!

I also found the typical dead rodents in various stages of de-composure. What I found interesting is how much trash, ie trim cutoffs, misc screws, papers, etc that was left during the building process @ assembly line. All items were like a time capsule until the carpet is taken out.

Thanks, Jay

Back