Tips and tricks........

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 Sportster Project
Ok fella's, here's one we all need to throw our ideas to. Maybe even make it a sticky.

Got a better way to remove something? Got a home-made tool to get the job done easier? Forgot how to do those "simple things" you were taught in shop class? You saw something on another forum that would work for our cars? Let's bring some things to our board!

Here's one I saw elsewhere..

Overnight rust/paint removal. It can be done with great results!

If your grinding, wire wheeling, scraping and sanding to remove rust then your wasting your time, especially with a car that has a lot of rust. The best method for removing rust I have found is this chemical process. I'm not talking about auto part store bottles of rust remover that take 500 applications or aircraft strippers that take a weeks worth of time to work.

For this job your going to need 4 products. Most of which can be found at your local hardware store. Muratic acid, paint remover, and acetone. The 4th is ospho (phosphoric acid)

I'm currently writing and transfering the article. It's a bit winded. Till then, here's a quick before and after.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
When the chemicals are applied in the proper order, the process happens overnight is what it said when working on small areas. He wanted to be thorough and document all steps with photos, so I think it may have been over a weekend. But at the end of the weekend, the floor and engine bay were in primer and ready for paint. Here's the floorpans.....

A1.jpg

A2.jpg

A3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My, my but that is certainly something to look into based on your post and the pictures.

I, too, am looking forward to reading the article and testing the procedure.

Very good input, MACHSPORT 72 - - THANKS for sharing!!

BT

Where's the article again? I think I might be needing this process... if only just to help me identify which parts I'll be needing to replace. LMAO!!

hope can be posted soon . sounds like a very interesting tip.

Machsport72 hasn't been on here since 9/1/10. I don't know where he's been.:(
Removing rust the good old fashioned way..It's called Elbow grease :p
This post certainly got my attention... too good to be true?
Based on the lack of response from the original poster in more than 5 months, it would appear so. I thought so when I read the original post. Time for me to stock up on a few gallons of elbow grease, like Scott (QCode) said.

Doc

Doc

Klean Strip Aircraft paint remover in the gallon worked for me and it only takes minutes for it to work. I believe I used 2 gallons to do the roof, sides and trunk. Fast and easy if you're going down to bare metal. Probably cost cheaper than buying multiple ingredients and not to mention the time saved from mixing and such.

Like Doc, I'm skeptical of miracle cures in my cars and in my life. However, the pics posted looked pretty amazing and surely worth an open mind with some documentation.

I've never tried greasing my elbows before turning on my grinder :D. I'll have to try it.

Mark

Like Doc, I'm skeptical of miracle cures in my cars and in my life. However, the pics posted looked pretty amazing and surely worth an open mind with some documentation.

I've never tried greasing my elbows before turning on my grinder :D. I'll have to try it.

Mark
LOL! :rofl:

maybe that chemical mixture got to him ,god forbid , sounded kinda toxic to me .....

Back