Garages

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach1, 351 Cleveland, Ram Air (not factory), C6 Automatic, AM/8 Track, Bright Red.
I finally put an epoxy floor covering on my garage and I have to say it was a snap and it really turned out as advertised. I only did one parking space to start off with "just in case". I put it on two weeks ago and tested a portion today to see how well it's attached to the concrete and it's tough, it won't scrape off like paint and it filled in and covered the hair line cracks, so I'm going to go ahead and do the other two parking areas.

I used Rust-Oleum Epoxy Shield, it came with the acid etcher needed to prep the concrete. The hardest part was getting everything off of the floor then really scrubbing the concrete to remove all stains prior to applying the acid to etch it.

You can see where I cleaned and acid etched about foot over into the other parking area that hasn't been epoxied yet. Anyone have any long term results with this stuff?

Jim

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg[attachment=19223]

I di mine with the Rustoleum kit 11 years ago and it has held up great. I used the same gray with blue/white fleck. No problems and no pealing. Have fun painting!

I hope you have better luck with it than I did....

The biggest problem I have...and I thought I had followed all the destructions to the letter...is if you park the car directly in the garage after you drive it...the tires are still warm...then they remove the epoxy, apparently it would rather stick to the tires than the floor. I have had it down for about 2 years and there is a bald spot now under where the tires sit. you could also see the grey epoxy on the tires for a couple of days after.... the next time I do anything with the garage floor it is going to be those thick rubber tiles! but for now it looks good when the cars are in the garage and cover the bald spots :)

T2

The biggest problem I have...and I thought I had followed all the destructions to the letter...is if you park the car directly in the garage after you drive it...the tires are still warm...then they remove the epoxy, apparently it would rather stick to the tires than the floor. I have had it down for about 2 years and there is a bald spot now under where the tires sit. you could also see the grey epoxy on the tires for a couple of days after.... the next time I do anything with the garage floor it is going to be those thick rubber tiles! but for now it looks good when the cars are in the garage and cover the bald spots :)

T2
I read about that, it's called "hot tire pickup", explained as the tires being heated when parked and they shrink as they cool down pulling up the coating as they shrink. I bought the "advanced" gloss formula which is "suppose" to have a slippery coat over the actual epoxy so it prevents hot tire pickup, reportingly the tires don't get a grip into the epoxy as they shrink due to the slippery top coating...we'll find out if it works.

Jim

That looks SWEET, Jim! ::thumb::

You might learn to hate the little flecks though, when you drop something tiny and spend an hour to find it. We epoxied the floor of the Auto Hobby Shop (without the flecks) and STILL have a tough time finding little stuff when it hits the floor and takes a ride. rofl

I finally put an epoxy floor covering on my garage and I have to say it was a snap and it really turned out as advertised. I only did one parking space to start off with "just in case". I put it on two weeks ago and tested a portion today to see how well it's attached to the concrete and it's tough, it won't scrape off like paint and it filled in and covered the hair line cracks, so I'm going to go ahead and do the other two parking areas.

I used Rust-Oleum Epoxy Shield, it came with the acid etcher needed to prep the concrete. The hardest part was getting everything off of the floor then really scrubbing the concrete to remove all stains prior to applying the acid to etch it.

You can see where I cleaned and acid etched about foot over into the other parking area that hasn't been epoxied yet. Anyone have any long term results with this stuff?

Jim
Wow... that really looks great. How long did it take to apply? I've always worried about having my stuff sitting out of the garage for a few days. We thought about getting a POD to put everything in while we painted and sealed the floor. Great job...

That looks SWEET, Jim! ::thumb::

You might learn to hate the little flecks though, when you drop something tiny and spend an hour to find it. We epoxied the floor of the Auto Hobby Shop (without the flecks) and STILL have a tough time finding little stuff when it hits the floor and takes a ride. rofl
Thanks and you're spot on about having a hard time finding something small if you drop it, it's already happened to me.

Jim

Jim
Wow... that really looks great. How long did it take to apply? I've always worried about having my stuff sitting out of the garage for a few days. We thought about getting a POD to put everything in while we painted and sealed the floor. Great job...
Like most things the prep work takes most of the time. 80% of the work is clearing everything off of the floor and really scrubbing it with a degreaser plus filling in any cracks you may have.

Using the acid etcher only takes about an hour, mix it with water sprinkle it on, use a course sweeper to scrub it in, rinse it off. You wait until the concrete is dry and use a roller to apply the epoxy, that takes less than an hour. Instructions say you can walk on it in 24 hours (and I did) and park your car on it within 3-7 days depending on temp and humidity.

Jim

That looks great! I'm going to to mine after the Mach is done.
Thanks!

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
Been thinking about doing the 2 car garage, but looking to bring in a pro to do it.

I was quoted $850 with the flakes. But I might be able to get a little lower price as I have about 3 other neighbors that want the floor done also.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm really glad you shared this with us! I've been a little gun shy of doing mine, but after seeing yours, I think I'll "Git-R-Done"!! Looks great! Make sure to post more pictures when you're done!

-Travis

I'm really glad you shared this with us! I've been a little gun shy of doing mine, but after seeing yours, I think I'll "Git-R-Done"!! Looks great! Make sure to post more pictures when you're done!

-Travis
Thanks Travis. I'm going to rent a diamond concrete sander to prep the remaining two parking areas, I should have rented one and sanded the whole garage at once, all sealants have to be removed and doing the one space by hand was a bear.(hindsight is a great thing). My plan was to do the one space first to see if I liked it or not, then to move everything on the floor over to the finished space to do the other two. Total cost for materials and rental sander will be about $300.00 for my 3 car garage. By the time I get the last space done I'm sure I'll have a lot more hindsight.

Jim

T2
I read about that, it's called "hot tire pickup", explained as the tires being heated when parked and they shrink as they cool down pulling up the coating as they shrink. I bought the "advanced" gloss formula which is "suppose" to have a slippery coat over the actual epoxy so it prevents hot tire pickup, reportingly the tires don't get a grip into the epoxy as they shrink due to the slippery top coating...we'll find out if it works.

Jim
I knew I should have waited a couple of years....:huh:

HMMM???

Been doing alot of reading about which floor to go with.

Anything from epoxy to snaplock tiles to VCT and peel and stick.

Unfort, there's pros/cons with each one.

HMMM???

I have done 2 garage floors 1 was Rustoleum 30x32 w/flakes and the coloring between batch numbers were real close.. Problem I've had was the rollers for my 4 post lift ramps have lifted the paint from rolling on it.

My 2nd floor 32x42 I coated was from Behr and Home Depot sells it, the color between batch #'s aren't even close enough for me.

My observations for doing the floor prep is the most important to do, take your time do it right once, do it when floor is warmer not in winter months in Minnesota.

A. Acid wash and get rid of the white wash with plenty of water and do it with a (new) clean shop broom.

B. Blow out with air ALL cracks with air and put fans to blow them out completely. (water may make your paint pull up from it)

C. Have 3 people doing it with you...Have a paint party! When you do it this way you'll see why I suggest it... 2 rollering the paint 1 doing speckles and you can keep moving. ( make sure speckler knows how much you want or you can't change it)

D. Mix ALL your paint at once together especially with Behr for a matching (consistent and Matching) finish.

I can't give a real answer on how Behr holds up because I haven't had a chance to make use of that garage with real world traffic on it.

5231 Hwy 51 Garage floor epoxy 8-3-13.jpg

HMMM???

I have done 2 garage floors 1 was Rustoleum 30x32 w/flakes and the coloring between batch numbers were real close.. Problem I've had was the rollers for my 4 post lift ramps have lifted the paint from rolling on it.

My 2nd floor 32x42 I coated was from Behr and Home Depot sells it, the color between batch #'s aren't even close enough for me.

My observations for doing the floor prep is the most important to do, take your time do it right once, do it when floor is warmer not in winter months in Minnesota.

A. Acid wash and get rid of the white wash with plenty of water and do it with a (new) clean shop broom.

B. Blow out with air ALL cracks with air and put fans to blow them out completely. (water may make your paint pull up from it)

C. Have 3 people doing it with you...Have a paint party! When you do it this way you'll see why I suggest it... 2 rollering the paint 1 doing speckles and you can keep moving. ( make sure speckler knows how much you want or you can't change it)

D. Mix ALL your paint at once together especially with Behr for a matching (consistent and Matching) finish.

I can't give a real answer on how Behr holds up because I haven't had a chance to make use of that garage with real world traffic on it.
All great advice, especially waiting until it's warmer, I did one of the 3 parking spaces in Oct then it turned cold so I'm now waiting until it warms up into at least the upper 60's before I do the other two spaces. So far the space I did looks as good as the day I did it and it's had a lot of traffic on it.

Concerning mixing all your paint at once, Rust-Oleum Epoxy Shield has a 3 hour pot time after mixed (not sure about Behr) if not used within that period they warn of uneven gloss and color. Guess that's where the two extra helpers come in.

Jim

As promised here's a pic of the whole garage completed. Cobrajet72 recommended that all paint be mixed at once to get a consistent match, I didn't do that and sure as hell, there is a slight difference in the bays' colors even though it was the same exact batch numbers, I should have listened but I'll live with it.

No tire lift off from either my 4X4 truck or BMW but the Mustang did the first time I parked in the garage after taking it out on a long cruise on a warm day. Must have something to do with the tires and the way they shrink as they cool since the truck is at least 1,500 pounds heavier and with larger more aggressive thread, but no lift off. The BMW has been parked in the garage after some long aggressive drives and no lift off. I'm thinking the Mustang's suspension heats the tires more so than the newer vehicles which can go 40K or more on the same tires.

In any case, at the price I'm happy with the results, I'll just let the Mustang's tires cool down before pulling it into the garage in the future.

Jim

!1.JPG Lift Off from Mustang's Tire1.jpg

Back