After years engine restart how to make first oil pressure

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Mustang Mach 1 (1973)-351Ci-4V
Hi,

After years engine restart how to make first oil pressure(example:you do a barn find,how to start the engine for the first time without damage)?

Do you make pressure with the special tool in the hole/opening from the distributor, to operate the oil pump with the tool and a drill machine(clockwise turn??)?

Please some advice.

Thanks,

Eddy

I use a socket and extension (1/4" drive) with a 1/2 drill. If it's a 351 Cleveland, go counter clockwise.

Make sure you turn the motor over by hand a couple of times to ensure it's not frozen. Priming the oil will do no good if the rings are stuck to the cylinder walls.

all of the above...sometimes i just do it the easy way....pull the coil wire so it wont start and turn it over for a little bit on bat power...But i always check the oil first..if any water in there..change it!!...change it anyways too..cause lots of water builds up in there after time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for reply,

The engine is turn around by hand (not frozen).

I'm started in January 2012 with new Lucas oil and let each month the oil draining and filled again with the same oil.

I do it for filling the small oil channels(bearings-crankshaft-shells).

And a little engine oil or WD40 in the plug holes for first lubrication...

All advice is welcome for the first engine start in March 2014.

Thanks,

Eddy

I use a socket and extension (1/4" drive) with a 1/2 drill. If it's a 351 Cleveland, go counter clockwise.
What happens if you turn it clock wise. If done that several time?
No pump pressure.
No damage is done. Just change the rotation to counter clockwise and you can hear the lifters filling with the oil and they'll move the rockers and thats what you can hear - allways a nice sound. If you have the valvecovers open you can see the oil pour from the rockers.

Back