Dash trim panel and glove box trim.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach1 Cleveland 2V
Hello Guys,

As mentioned in the description I have a question about the dash trim panel.

Recently I bought a complete set from OMS and now it was the time to install it, but I figured out that the self tapping nuts behind the passenger side panel will not fit, they are way to big in diameter.

Is there are somebody who had the same problem and may found a solution?

Thanks,

Oskar

I ran in to the same problem. I took my trim plate to Lowes and bought ones that would fit. They are in the specialty hardware drawers. Easy fix!

I ran in to the same problem. I took my trim plate to Lowes and bought ones that would fit. They are in the specialty hardware drawers. Easy fix!
Thanks Doug!

Oskar- "Lowes" is a national hardware store here in US. Just in case you didn't already know. ;)

Ray

Yep, the same problem with that Taiwan stuff...

And be careful with the black paint, it comes easily of the bezel.

Hole for the seat belt warning light is also not 100% matching.

:(

If you can't find these in Germany (they are called Speed Nuts in the US) then you can use regular nuts instead. But, to ensure they don't break the plastic off, you can pre thread them with a die set (to create threads in the plastic).

Also there is a thread somewhere here about heating the screws that go into the holes to pre-thread them too before installing as the aftermarket studs are not as strong. I did this, turned out well.

Can you guys give me an idea of the quality of the dash bezels?

Is they more them one manufacturer?

I thought I saw that Golden legion makes them but then someone told me the the center gauge bezel and glove compartment cover are from someone else.

-Jim

They look like all the same manufacturer to me. The only quality issue in my opinion is really the size of the anchor points and screw studs. And this is really that they are smaller than the standard panels so you either need to pre-cut threads in them using the methods described or use non-original smaller screws.

For an aftermarket piece they are very good fit and finish.

New member here and you're probably just the guys to help me out. Adding new dash panels to my 73 Mach 1; have the gauge panel installed along with the center (radio/heater)panel installed but the glove box panel has me stumped. At first I thought the metal framing and panel would be removed and replaced with the plastic new panel but clearly that doesn't seem to be the case. How do you install the plastic panel over the existing steel panel? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Jim, the plastic on the door is held on by screws. You have to re-use the original door and replace the plastic only.

Thanks for the response. The door wasn't an issue yet, still waiting on delivery but judging from the pics of the door it looks like I'm going to have to drill holes in the original metal door to account for the screw posts ion the back of the new plastic door overlay? The main issue today is the trim panel above the door. I'm guessing now, based on the door pics, I will just have to drill holes in the original metal door also and align them with the screw posts in the plastic overlay? ]

Jim, the plastic on the door is held on by screws. You have to re-use the original door and replace the plastic only.

Thanks for the response. The door wasn't an issue yet, still waiting on delivery but judging from the pics of the door it looks like I'm going to have to drill holes in the original metal door to account for the screw posts ion the back of the new plastic door overlay? The main issue today is the trim panel above the door. I'm guessing now, based on the door pics, I will just have to drill holes in the original metal door also and align them with the screw posts in the plastic overlay? ]
Post some pics of what you have. it may not have had the trim you want to install and may turn out a little funky if your holes aren't spot on.

[

It will take me a little while to post pics but the reader's digest version is that there are NO holes at all in the original metal passenger side/glovebox panel or door. There never was a plastic cover installed so all there is now is the original metal, flat, holeless surface. I'm guessing that the metal panel and metal door came from the factory without the intent to put the plastic overlays on them so there were no holes drilled for the plastic aftermarket panels. the plastic panel, the u shaped panel with the passenger side air vent opening, does have "posts" attached to backside, clearly for screws to be attached thru the backside of the metal panel dash section into the "posts" on the platic overlay. Again, I'm kinda convinced that I will need to drill holes into the original metal dash and door. I appreciate your responses and help.

Yep, the same problem with that Taiwan stuff...

And be careful with the black paint, it comes easily of the bezel.

Hole for the seat belt warning light is also not 100% matching.

:(

Eddy,

I agree!

Just wanted to repeat myself and give another heads up on the matt black finish of these replacement plastic panels. The black can come off very easily on these panels i've found. Real bummer.Refinishing is the only remedy for this situation, and is a real nuisance.No joy at all on this issue.Try and be as careful as possible when handling these panels so the black won't play up on you.

See my thread for more referance.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-austin-vert-s-new-gear-shifter-bezel-problem

Sorry guys, can't help with your fitting issues here, as i have not gone through these problems before.

Thanks,

Greg.:(

Ya, that's a big 10-4. Learned that with the guage bezel and center bezel. You'd think for a $2.00 piece of plastic they sell for $60 they could spend a little more time and do it right.....but just glad someone is out there making this stuff...still a lot better than refinishing the old part and forgoing the chrome trim.

Ya, that's a big 10-4. Learned that with the guage bezel and center bezel. You'd think for a $2.00 piece of plastic they sell for $60 they could spend a little more time and do it right.....but just glad someone is out there making this stuff...still a lot better than refinishing the old part and forgoing the chrome trim.

Hi Jim,

I suppose that's true.

Greg.:)

I got my glove box trim redone in the camera case finish here locally... looks good.

I'm still trying to find a way to get the woodgrain back on the centre gauge piece to make it look factory...

can anyone tell me if any aftermarket ones are of decent quality...?

Back