strut rod bent

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danno

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Fastback, Sportsroof
I have a small bend in my rh strut rod. It appears the PO probably ran up and over something. I will be doing a front end rebuild,all control arms etc, and was wondering of having a machine shop straighten it out would be safe? It is a very minor bend.

Well the truth is the part itself is available and fairly cheap, so I would not try and straighten one. If I understand correctly, a minor bend is of no consequence, so long as the car can be properly aligned. It might be the best thing to do is just leave it as is.

Agree with Jeff.

Keep in mind that the Machine Shop may charge you nearly as much as it would cost to replace it. They are readily available relatively cheap from our Vendors here on the Forum.

BT

Agree with Jeff.

Keep in mind that the Machine Shop may charge you nearly as much as it would cost to replace it. They are readily available relatively cheap from our Vendors here on the Forum.

BT
Very good point!

I'd find a straight one. If it's bent it could affect your alignment. Or at least bother the guy trying to align it.

earlier years are more prone to breaking,.. but it can be very expensive when your front wheel destroys your fender undercarriage and maybe more.

i would take no chance and get a new one..

just fyi:

the aftermarket strut rod replacement is nothing like the stock OEM unit.

I bought the aftermarket ones,, was not happy with them and got 2 good units from a donor car.

You will sometimes hear admonitions to not use Polyurethane strut rod bushings, as they can cause the stut rod to break.

In 65-66 Mustangs the threaded area of the strut rod is overlapped by the strut rod bushings. If they are Poly there isn't a problem. On post 67 strut rods the threaded area extends past the busing and is un-supported, so the Poly bushing use will cause the strut rod to bend. The poly bushings actually promote bind and the repeated flexing at the juncture where the trheading ends, can cause metal fatigue in the strut rod.

Sooo, I get three thoughts from this;

Use hard rubber bushings in Mustangs 67-73

A bent strut rod is prolly better off replaced

A heimed or articulated strut rod is even better, for several reasons. Like stronger & better handling.

Tubo

68SR.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
A bent strut rod is prolly better off replaced

A heimed or articulated strut rod is even better, for several reasons. Like stronger & better handling.

Tubo

68SR.JPG
Right on !!!!

Heres mine

Where did you source them and the rest of your front suspension pieces?

I believe mine came from Opentracker because heim joints are strong and fancy but can squeek. The pics look like heim but inbelieve they are just adj rod ends. They were not cheap.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe mine came from Opentracker because heim joints are strong and fancy but can squeek. The pics look like heim but inbelieve they are just adj rod ends. They were not cheap.
Your right they can squeak..Thats why you need to make sure the rod ends aren't plain heim joints..The ones I have are teflon /kevlar impregnated..

Funny thing I went & checked open trackers..You have the same ones I do..He's selling the Street or Track units..

Back