Best assembly & cam lubes

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danoreilly

Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach1 351C 4V
02 Deluxe Convertible
67 Fairlane GT 390
So, what are the prevailing opinions vis-a-vis the best assembly lube an camshaft lube when rebuilding a flat-tappet motor (e.g., my 351C currently undergoing a rebuild)?

Obviously, I don't want to destroy a new cam. I'm thinking a moly-disulfide grease is the best, but where do I find such a creature and who makes the best? Is that adequate for cam pre-lubes as well?

most cams come with a tube or bottle of the lube that the cam needs . but you still need something like lucas break in oil additive comp makes some and several other companies do also. ive used valvoline vr 1 oil for breakin it has zinc in also . i still use the lucas along with the valvoline vr 1 oil. use to use rotella but epa has come down hard on diesel engines now and they have reduced the zinc in it now . so any raceing oild such as vr 1 , brad penn etc will work and put the zinc additive in as added measure and safety. thats way i do it anyways.

Usually the cam will come with a note in it of what to use or atleast mine did, it was a comp cam.
My Comp cam kit didn't have the lube in it. But I called Comp and they directed me to the right stuff.

Use a good break-in oil like the Brad Penn for the first couple of oil changes. You need the zinc and phosphorous for the cam to break in properly.
I plan on using Brad Penn's breakin oil, it's about $6/qt locally. Then I'm going to use "regular" Brad Penn oil at $5/qt after that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back