Amy's '71 driveway refresher

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captthundarr

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Conv.
After a garage discussion of what Amy wanted done to the '71. It was determined she wanted it shiney we talked about to what extent. the decission was made to replace and patch with steel instead of filler. So the adventure begins. As best as I can tell, the car was orig. sold in up state NY. Evidance of this is the 1/4" of tar under coating that has protected the car for all these years, there is no underside rot at all.

DPP_0003.JPG

Got the fenders off last night. Pass. fender has some rot in the appropriate places. and notice a bondo line that should be easy to repair better.It shows as a shallow straight crease on the inside of the fender.Also noticed some thing odd. Where the fender mounts on the top there are nuts where clips should be.

mpg_1104.JPG

mpg_1105.JPG

mpg_1106.JPG

Here are the afore mentioned nuts. they are on the Pass. side the drivers side has the clips.

mpg_1109.JPG

mpg_1111.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like it has been patched / fixed at some point

It would have the J clips with adjustment holes from the factory

Looks like it has been patched / fixed at some point

It would have the J clips with adjustment holes from the factory
As I thouht. This wil be adressed. The car was no cherry when we got it. The cross member under the engine has been flattened as if the car had been jumped. :huh:

I replaced all of the front suspension when we got the car and it drives straight and true.

A couple of pics of the undercoating, the stuff is from front to back. I think I'll leave it on for now. need all the help I can get keeping the rust a bay.

mpg_1099.JPG

mpg_1101.JPG

Thanks all, the questions will be forthcoming. Front left fender will be replaced. The rust hole could've been patched but I striped the paint where I found a 10in long crease and the whole lower fender area behind the tire has been skimmed with bondo. I don't feel like dealing with that 5 plus years down the road.

Got some more parts off. The wiper arms were "glued on, had to use a little heat to melt the undercoating that got on the mounts when the cowl was sprayed. The drivers side fender is in real good shape so it's a keeper. found some rust on the sides of the cowl. the front valance is too wavey so it will make good patches.

mpg_1114.JPG

mpg_1116.JPG

mpg_1117.JPG

The disassembly continues. No real suprises, yet. The panel between the tail lights is in excellent shape. The A pillars are good as well. The original color show through.

mpg_1140.JPG

mpg_1143.JPG

mpg_1141.JPG

mpg_1142.JPG

After taking time off from the tang for landspeed racing reasons it's time to get back at it. The motor and trans are out and intierior trim is coming off. Need a new C4 as I broke this one last year. It was clunky at best anyway. Glad I came back to this wonderful forum when I did as I came across several threads that answered some questions I had relating to rear qrt. panel install and convertable top wear issues. more pic and posts to come.

Well this is done, now to get it sold. And back to Amys tang.

20141109_131734.jpg

20141109_131813.jpg

Got the front disassembled so I could inspect the hard to reach places.

Found a little cowl rot. Good thing OMS got new cowl to apron supports :)

20141109_140919.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back