Cooling fan question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattSinger

Reaction score
My Car
71 Mustang 302 auto
So, I'm still learning as I work on my sons 71.....First Ford I have worked on. I was surprised to see that it had a direct drive cooling fan. Its a 302 with A/C. Is there a fan clutch replacement that folks have found that is about the same distance so the fan/shroud still sit at the right distance?

thanks

Matt

Matt,

Go to CJPonyparts and type in clutch fan. You'll see a 6 blade fan and a non-thermal clutch. Those should work fine. You don't need the fan but I noticed an increasing cooling capacity when I went 6 blade a few years ago.

As a side note, I went with an electric fan on my 72 and I'm very happy with the purchase. I swapped over after I hit my wrist/hand/knuckle the 3rd time and vowed to never do that again. Electric fans cost more and will likely require you to upgrade your alternator but I like my fingers.

Electric fans don't rob engine HP, allow your engine to heat to operating temp faster, only run when the temp is above your desired setting and won't crop your digits. The alternator will push more power which equals some HP but it's not even close that massive metal fan spinning at all times.

KR

+1 on the e-fan. I haven't checked the fit, but I would consider running a '96-99 Ford Contour twin e-fan assembly if I had cooling issues. They can be had for $100 BRAND NEW from RockAuto. I'm running one on my 5.0 and on my Bronco, they are an excellent example of Ford engineering. Literally overcools the engines despite serious power output. I believe they are listed under Ford pn F8RZ8C607GE.

Thanks rutkak... I wasnt sure if the spacing out from the waterpump would be similar on a clutch fan and direct.

Back