Exhaust Tips

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 red convertible 351 4 V
I thinking about puting exhaust tips on my car. I have a 73 vert with a 351 cleveland. Did the factory install them on the verts ? I think the Mach 1 had them from the factory. I looked in the 73 dealer brochere and don't see anything listed. Is there a factory correct tip for a 73 and if there is who sell them.

Thanks

John J

Hi JJ,

I'm not saying that what i did on my '73 Vert is the be all and end all of what people can do for a rear tip treatment, but i think it dosen't look too bad.

To the best of my knowledge, because Ford never made Mach converts, the Mach exhausts were not available for them. (Unless you specialy ordered them for you purchase - is that true???)

They are a 3 inch stainless steel tip with an angled backface and double skinned construction, welded back to a custom twin 2 & a half inch system. If you specifically want, i can ID the brand later. They cost around $90.00 each tip Australian.

Dig the pic!

Greg.:)

Exhaust Tips - IMG_7684.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Greg, I'm interested in any case in the tips. I like the double wall construction, mine are chrome pieces that loo like they may have come with the flowmaster setup that was on it when I bought it.

Greg, I'm interested in any case in the tips. I like the double wall construction, mine are chrome pieces that loo like they may have come with the flowmaster setup that was on it when I bought it.
Hi Greg,

Cheers!

Was there anything else you wanted to know about the tips?

Hi Jim,

Thanks mate. Yeah they fit really well in the cutouts. You wouldn't want to or couldn't fit a larger size tip in. And anyway, i think that would look a bit dinky as well.The double skin stainless is a good look i reakon.

The oem type tips are available at most mustang supply shops. For some reason they only have one style clamp attached and it can interfere on one side wih the tank. Strange. Also note the Boss 351 came with twin downturns from the factory, which i have on my vert. Not as sporty as the straight back, but not too bad when both are singing.

Most 73's had turn downs

There is some debate as to 73's made before 1 / 1 / 73 having mach 1 chrome tips with valance cut outs.

Thanks Greg, no nothing but where you got them from/brand.

Greg
I'll talk to my exhaust shop guy early next week and either PM you or post details that you'd be after.

Thanks mate.

Hey Greg,

The company name and details of the stainless steel tips are as follows;

Zetti Brand.----- Model.Z607 - 63 0 SC ---- 3 1/2 Inch overall diameter. I was charged $55.00 Australian for each tip supplied.

Here is a web site you might find interesting;

http://www.bestmufflers.com/bshop/index.php?cPath=374_634&osCsid=267258d25ae706d4df90c40784757526

Hope that helps,

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I don't have cut out in valance so I think I am going to put turn downs on. Greg I did like the way you did your car but I dont want to mess with the valance.

John J

John,

I have turn downs on my car, but changed the rear valance to the cutouts. I plan on getting the chrome tips like what Greg has done as it looks great.

I subscribe to the my car and I'll do it the way I like rule!

All,

One of my biggest disappointments with the reproduction exhaust tips it they do not last long against rust and corrosion. You do get what you pay for! I goggled the recommendation for exhaust tip longevity and found this website from AutoAnything. Just plain good ole information!

http://www.autoanything.com/exhausts-mufflers/50A29A169A1.aspx

mustang7173 :D

I bought a Ford oem valance in the box. Little Ford sticker, black coat on it, etc. i gotta say that cutting a downturn valance for cutouts cannt be too tough. The edges arent rolled or anything...a good body man with a template would probably be able to do it with a wheel and finish off the edges in an hour. Probably without taking it off the car! I paid $300 bucks for the valance!

Hey Greg,

Zetti Brand.----- Model.Z607 - 63 0 SC ---- 3 1/2 Inch overall diameter. I was charged $55.00 Australian for each tip supplied.

http://www.bestmufflers.com/bshop/index.php?cPath=374_634&osCsid=267258d25ae706d4df90c40784757526

Hope that helps,

Hey Greg,

I love the look on your car... I'm thinking of going with the Gibson Intercooled Dual Wall Tip, they appear to be awesome and almost bullet proof! :)

http://www.autoanything.com/exhausts-mufflers/gibson-intercooled-dual-wall-exhaust-tip

I was reading that our cars take a 3" but these 3.5" look perfect on your car.

Cheers and Happy New Year!

John

Hey Greg,

Hope that helps,

Hey Greg,

I love the look on your car... I'm thinking of going with the Gibson Intercooled Dual Wall Tip, they appear to be awesome and almost bullet proof! :)

http://www.autoanything.com/exhausts-mufflers/gibson-intercooled-dual-wall-exhaust-tip

I was reading that our cars take a 3" but these 3.5" look perfect on your car.

Cheers and Happy New Year!

John

Hi John,

Thanks for your kind words, and i'm glad you like the look of my tips.

Your Autoanything tip looks very sharp as well, although it doesn't appear to have a very angled face edge, and the edge itself doesn't smooth taper back in on an angle like mine do. Those two characteristics gives my tips a special look i think.

The main thing is that whatever you finally choose, you will be very hapy with.My tips are quality stainless steel, and i'm expecting to get good life out of them as well.

Thanks John, and all the best for the new year to you,

Hi John,

Thanks for your kind words, and i'm glad you like the look of my tips.

Your Autoanything tip looks very sharp as well, although it doesn't appear to have a very angled face edge, and the edge itself doesn't smooth taper back in on an angle like mine do. Those two characteristics gives my tips a special look i think.

The main thing is that whatever you finally choose, you will be very hapy with.My tips are quality stainless steel, and i'm expecting to get good life out of them as well.

Thanks John, and all the best for the new year to you,

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Great Points Greg!

This is exactly why I posted instead of purchasing...attention to detail. I didn't even notice it! But I do like the features you mention. A little harder to find but I have time. I did find this one but it looks like the have the brand name right on top which i'm not sure I'm so keen with. By the way I'm looking at the 2.5 x 3.5 x 12" polished stainless steel version.

http://www.autoanything.com/exhausts-mufflers/mbrp-dual-wall-angle-exhaust-tip

Thoughts welcome!

John

Back