correct PCV routing

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattSinger

Reaction score
My Car
71 Mustang 302 auto
Here is how our 71 is currently set up. Having a valve that points straight up and then have the hose try and tuck under the stock aircleaner seems to but it in a bind. The PO had tried to wire it to the A/C to try and help keep it straight. Is this correct for a 71 302?
105xvno.jpg
[/img]

PCV is usually taken in at the carb, isn't it?

The original hose has a couple of 90 degree bends, one to connect to the PCV valve and the go into the carburetor base. My PCV hose was rock-hard and I am currently using a PCV valve with a 90 degree elbow with a flexible hose to the back of the carburetor.

OK....so this hose does have a 90 in it where it goes in at the back of the carb, but you're saying there should be another where it fits on the top of the valve? is a correct style hose available??

Damn, I just threw mine out. I have a 302 on my 70 and on the driver's side the PCV hose has a 90 degree elbow to the air cleaner bottom and a curved rubber hose from the passenger side to the carb base.

Reference the driver's side, either get an elbow or remove the line to the air cleaner, plug the hole in the air cleaner and get an aftermarket twist on filtered air inlet thingy for the valve cover.

That will work just fine. I use the same PCV on my 289 where the hose runs to the front of the Edelbrock carb. If you are running a stock 2BBL with 1 inch spacer w/input for PCV then I recommend either that 90 degree elbow PCV or getting the remanufactured hose. I used the one below on a 70 302 and it fit fine after some trimming. It wouldn't fit well after I changed out my valve covers though because they were a tad taller which threw off the angle. I know it says 65-68 but it worked on my 70 302.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/pcv-valve-to-carburetor-hose-v8-1965-1968/p/PCVH/

Oh yeah, I snapped a pic of the valve cover breather you were looking for, I found it in the garbage when I was cleaning up. You can buy these aftermarket. Just search for valve cover breather twist on style. Here they are repop: http://www.cjponyparts.com/scott-drake-oil-cap-black-twist-on-style-with-pcv-elbow-1968-1971/p/OC16/

IMG_20131030_173207.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back