Repainting black line on door panels

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Mustang Mach 1 (1973)-351Ci-4V
Hi,

Does anyone have experience with repainting the black line around the wood grain on the deluxe door panels?

What is the best and easiest method?

Thanks,

Eddy

:p

Honestly, I have not tried it yet. But, if it were me...

I would first prep with alcohol (or other mild degreaser) and use masking tape on the bright aluminum. Hand cut the corner radii (radiuses) carefully with a razor/X-acto blade (as not to scar the aluminum). Scuff with fine scotchbrite, and use Krylon semi gloss spray can paint, dusted on in light coats.

Too heavy of paint coat will tend to crawl underneath the tape, especially at the corner overlaps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

Does anyone have experience with repainting the black line around the wood grain on the deluxe door panels?

What is the best and easiest method?

Thanks,

Eddy

:p
Hi, Best AND Easiest? Pay someone. They will have to tape off the woodgrain, use metal polish on the exposed metal removing most of the black paint and the nicks, wipe it down with prepsol, tape off the shiny trim, use a few light coats of Dupli-Color Trim Paint (TP70) and done.

I got a great looking new pair from Don at Ohio Mustang since my wood grain wasn't the best. Good luck on your decision.

What the guys have said above holds true.

For best results, use 3M Fineline tape for clean masking edges, and don't put paint on too wet. That will lead to big problems for sure.

I refinished mine a few months ago, and got good results.

Greg.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back